Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

High Velocity StarFighter

Many years ago, I did a cool looking StarFighter, that I thought I would post for everyone to see...

Replies

• the_meshmaster2525
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Looks decent.  What are you rendering it in?  Looks last-gen or from the late 90s
  • the_meshmaster2525
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have no idea what you mean by, "Last-Gen"...sorry....But I did this in 3D MAX.
  • the_meshmaster2525
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, thank you for the insult...good way to make someone feel low.
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vavavoom polycounter lvl 11
    Hi @the_meshmaster2525
    'last-gen' just means last generation, it's not an insult i'm sure, it's just your rendering method is somewhat outdated compared to what guys are using thesedays i guess.
    @Brian "Panda" Choi is one of the most active and helpful people on this forum. I think it's a fair comment and i'm sure his intention is not negative, but to suggest you could improve your renders and make your art look even better.

Keep up the good work
    ~ :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you can, and assuming Marmoset Toolbag 3 is too expensive, you'll get better real time renders out of Unreal, Unity, or Lumberyard.  I suggest gettting this imported there in a basic scene of your liking and make it look more metally and less plasticy.  There's definitely space to improve on this; I'd recommend at least looking at the War for Cybertron models or Star Citizen ships to get a sense of where you can push the texturing.

I also recommend getting an artstation.  Your photobucket portfolio is a slog to get through.  It's formatted like your youtube channel.  You don't want employers getting annoyed in their attempt to see your work.

The whole presentation sliddes style might work for videos, but in general, thumbnail images that people can investigatee further tend to work better.
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Shapes and details looks good, i think working a bit more on the materials would be great as Brian said ^

Gettin' a little PBR touch with nice metalness and roughness variations will push it to the next level! Keep it up!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @the_meshmaster2525
    What do you want to get from Polycount, DCommPrime?  Get better at making 3D art for games?  Films?  Just art in general?  A place to get praise for your fan work?

What happened to that Hollow Moon Theory model you said you were cooking on?
  • the_meshmaster2525
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @the_meshmaster2525
    What do you want to get from Polycount, DCommPrime?  Get better at making 3D art for games?  Films?  Just art in general?  A place to get praise for your fan work?

What happened to that Hollow Moon Theory model you said you were cooking on?
    Honestly I always wanted to be an artist since I was a kid...now since I am older, I wanted to be a 3d artist in general...but, after seeing others work, I know I will never achieve that, I'm just not that good, and no one will ever hire me...these days its, "Who you know, not, "What you know". 

As for the Hollow Moon theory, I have put that on hold, to work on the Lost in Space model, Jupiter 2..
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathstrokeFTW polycounter lvl 4
    @the_meshmaster2525
    Look friend, when you post here you should expect critique and it can be really harsh at times but you have to understand that we are here to help you. It is not an insult, it something to help you grow like every other artist out there. This kind of attitude wont help at all.

Also coming back to the piece itself, I like the ship. It has a very interesting look and it can be heavily improved from the current point. I suggest understanding baking so you can use high poly models of lets say, bolts, cuts and other mechanical decals to bake onto your mesh and improve the overall look. Understanding a little PBR can do wonders when you begin applying what you've learned over plus you can also put this in some other renderer and improve your textures by 10 times, I would suggest using Marmoset for rendering.

If you need anything please dont hesitate to P.M me :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @the_meshmaster2525
    Fortunately for you, you know us, and there's barely any better atelier for learning 3D art online than Polycount, so have at it and be active here.  You'll get a lot back as many previously have before, including me.  I thought I was behind as well since I didn't go to art academy in high school like my colleague, Brandon Liao, did, but I still made it with PC and others' help.

• the_meshmaster2525
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @the_meshmaster2525
    Fortunately for you, you know us, and there's barely any better atelier for learning 3D art online than Polycount, so have at it and be active here.  You'll get a lot back as many previously have before, including me.  I thought I was behind as well since I didn't go to art academy in high school like my colleague, Brandon Liao, did, but I still made it with PC and others' help.

Thank you...I do get discouraged easily...but I do want to thank you and the others for the feedback. Il is posting my Jupiter 2 here soon for feedback.