Home Technical Talk

A better solution to 3DSMAX?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
Is there any programs or anything on the horizon that do a better job than 3DSMAX?

I've been using max for about 4 years, 2 years professionally.

I also use many modern tools like Substance Designer, Adobe Suite and the Unity Game Engine. All these programs have really nice UX, run smoothly and use modern concepts such as instancing and procedural development.

Max is such a massive pain to use. Crashes constantly. There's always export issues. There is no concept of non-destructive skinning in max, rigging is a nightmare, bones always break. Max doesn't even have usable mirroring. 

50% of my time in max is fighting the software.

I feel the only way to use max is buying expensive plugins that fix what a giant mess it is.

Is there any program out there that is as smooth as say substance designer, that can Model, UV, Skin, Rig and Animate?

Replies

• pior
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blender is certainly worth looking into. But consider maybe you're using the software incorrectly. Max 2019 is very nice, tons of time spent on core stability. Lots of love given to Skinning.

Instancing and procedural dev? Have you learned about cloning options like Instancing vs. Referencing? Modifier stack is amazing if used properly.

Houdini is also worth a look, if proceduralism is your thing.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Blender, Maya, Modo, Houdini, and Cinema4D. Other then 3DSMax those are basically the only options as far as all-in-one solutions.
    Well, there's also Lightwave but very few people seem to use it anymore, and Softimage/XSI but development on that stopped a few years ago.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I have the feeling that no matter which 3D software you use, the grass is always greener on the other side I think. If Id start something new Id go with Modo tho, I have no clue but seems like they have everything and its on a good modern foundation that has future.

Blender 2.8 also looks very cool but I assume the UI is still very confusing

Max is the software I hated from the first try, its this patchwork monstrosity where seemingly 100 unrelated people randomly added features left and right on a horrible outdated engine core being kept alive with duct tape somehow but has tons of features and very strong modeling

Maya seems like a noticeably less dated version of max but little experience with it

Cinema 4D which I use has far less of a game / UV / Bake focus, the uv tools are horrible, normal management sucks but it has some very powerful dynamic and non destructive effectors and animation tools + the new non destructive voxel volume builder. But its build on this perfectly modular and orderly german engineering foundation with the perfect modular UI and Its getting better every year, R20 really had some game changers but modeling in max is/was noticeably more efficient

After 5 years or so of stagnation it really feels like things are going foward and the differences are getting stronger
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Although not neccesarily a "better" solution than Max but FWIW Blender is definitly moving towards parity with these industry standard apps.

Alternatively there's also Houdini and Modo, the former I've found initially a bit 'techy' in that it's framework is primariliy procedural which was a task and a half getting my head around at first.
  • Linko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    Blender 2.8 beta is maybe already more stable than 3ds max 2019 and the left click by default, the toolbar with icons, the enabled marking menu by default and the custom workspace should allow you to switch to it more easily. It does not compete with Substance Designer, but his PBR Principled shader with the lookdev viewport and glTF support will help you to work in combination with it faster.

• jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to rant, but I have been using 3ds max since R3 and I can say it's a complete dumpster fire these days. It's a patchwork of old legacy features that haven't been touched or modernized in years. The UI got bad ever since they added the ribbon. And it also crashes on me constantly(several times a day). Saying you're "using the software incorrectly" is like Apple saying you're holding your phone wrong. If it's crashing or is buggy, it's just bad design and I wish more people would hold Autodesk accountable for it.

After one of the recent updates, max decided to crash after I open it every time. After going through support, I had to uninstall the Arnold renderer to even get max to start up without crashing.

I would switch to Blender if I didn't have to use max for work. Blender has it's own problems, but it least it's open and can be changed or customized if needed.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I  prefer to  work in Blender now.  Consider it much more stable and convenient in general.    It just feels more cozy and  homely.  Never understood what people find  confusing in its UI .  Imo it super well organized with nothing redundant  or excessive   while Max is a huge  messy pile of  stuff put together with an alien logic.
      I use Max since 2,5 and still have to maintain and update  large  Evernote base of its Easter eggs,various workarounds and hidden check-boxes.    In Blender  I never had to do so or even read the help.  It's just instantly logic and self explaining after just a few clicks here and there. Thanks for its context tips and lots of 2 min tutorials on youtube.  And it has modifiers too  :smiley:

I think  Blender is a fruit of true natural selection  with only best and simplest ideas made it through.   

Saying all this I have to admit Blender still has a few lacunas  and often makes me problems .  It sometimes exports kind of "rats nest" kind of geometry even after all the clean up procedures and careful modelling.    Often totally messed up normals, especially after  normal editing operations or shrink wrap modifier so things need to be imported in 3d max and fixed there.

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn said:
    I also use many modern tools like Substance Designer, Adobe Suite and the Unity Game Engine. All these programs have really nice UX, run smoothly and use modern concepts such as instancing and procedural development.
    3dsmax has instancing of meshes and modifiers, they're great and very helpful. In what way do you think it's lacking or needs to be implemented in a different way? I'm kind of confused how you expect it to act "better".
    Max is such a massive pain to use. Crashes constantly. 
    I've used it daily for over a decade, it rarely crashes unless I do something nutty like grab a slider that controls something really complex and crank it up too high or use a plugin that was made by someone who didn't really have a solid grasp of what they where trying to do.
    There's always export issues.
    Let me guess you're exporting as obj? Don't, use fbx instead. They haven't kept up the obj exporter and a lot has changed since it was rewritten 5-6 years ago.
    There is no concept of non-destructive skinning in max, rigging is a nightmare, bones always break.
    What do you mean by "non-destructive skinning"? Are you expecting changes made to the mesh under the skin modifier to just fine? Because they won't, I don't know any apps that handle that well. Skinning isn't meant to be a fluid process it is the next step after modeling is locked in. Still, you can make edits and update meshes, just know, no app assumes that you're going to back and make fundamental changes to a mesh, willy nilly and everything will be fine. That's how transforms get screwed up and that's how crazy ass bugs get into your files, if you're doing that I suggest you stop.

But there is a workflow that lets you update your mesh. You copy your mesh, make your changes, apply the skinwrap modifier and then transfer it to skin weights. Maya has a very similar workflow.

Do you have an example of how you imagine skinning being "non-destructive"? 
    Max doesn't even have usable mirroring. 
    Symmetry modifier works great.
    It seems like quite a few of these might be learning issues, it seems like you expect max to work one way and then find out it works a different way. That whole "this app needs to conform to my way of thinking" will hobble you when you try to learn any new piece of software.

You're more of an anthropologist trying to figure out the mind of the people who made it, rather than trying to apply modern thinking to something built in the past. Get in their head space, get to know why they did what they did and you'll have a much better time. Or... run off and make your own so it works exactly how you like. That's what the zBrush guys did, it worked well for them but honestly, learning it while expecting it to behave like 3dsmax or Maya is like taking a trip to an alien world and getting mad that they don't speak English.

I get it, learning can be frustrating, so I get that part of your post is a rant to vent but as someone who has been in this business for a really long time, and had to learn a lot of different pieces of software written by various groups with drastically different styles and goals, you should know this issue of how you learn new software isn't going to be with just 3dsmax, it goes a lot smoother if you have an open mind and don't project your lack of knowledge onto the software as if its responsible for your lack of knowledge.
    Is there any program out there that is as smooth as say substance designer, that can Model, UV, Skin, Rig and Animate?
    That is a lot for a single piece of software to excel at. Max and Maya are equally matched for output. They can technically do the same things just in slightly different ways. How they operate in those areas are different enough that they are better than their counter part at certain things.

3dsmax excels at modeling, splines and modifiers are amazingly flexible. Outside of Houdini it's the most procedural modeling app out there. So knocking it for not being procedural enough is kind of weird. What do you expect it to do?

Maya excels at rigging and animating but it's modeling tools aren't quite as robust as other apps. Still there are quite a few tools and workflows that it has that max doesn't that can make it an attractive modeling package. Plus if you want your studio to be a one package shop then it makes sense to go with Maya for animation and that might force your modelers to use it also.

Modo is really good at modeling and UV'ing, at least from a 1st time learning stand point. It blows hairy goat nipples at rigging and animating.

Blender
    has made a lot of progress but it still has a lot of growing left to do. The major advantage is it's price point, if you're going to apply for jobs with only experience in blender then it's going to be a long hard road.

Houdini is very good for procedural content, it is amazing at that type of workflow but falls apart for rigging and animation at least for characters, particles and simulations it's pretty good.|

But honestly I don't think you've worked with max long enough to actually make a fair evaluation of it. Most of your gripes seem to be based on not enough info on how it works, I can't really fault the software for that, maybe the documentation, but then again F1 in max is really useful unlike other apps.

Keep at it, it gets easier, try to keep an open mind and realize it takes time to soak it all up. They are really big and complex apps that have a lot of moving parts so it's going to take a lot of time and a lot of trial and error before it feels like second nature.
  • gandhics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gandhics polycounter lvl 7
    I have no stability issue with 3dsMax for sure.
    Yes, it crashes once in a while. But, generally it is very stable even with 100+ million polys in the scene.
    At work, our average scene is more than 10mil poly wioththousands animated objects.

In terms of rigging, we also have done crazy amount of rigging in 3dsMax from animal to digi double.
    I don't think there is better rigging solution than 3dsMax except maybe Maya.

For plugin, other than FX  work, we generally don't use plugin that much now a days.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    What do you mean by "non-destructive skinning"? Are you expecting changes made to the mesh under the skin modifier to just fine? Because they won't, I don't know any apps that handle that well. Skinning isn't meant to be a fluid process it is the next step after modeling is locked in. Still, you can make edits and update meshes, just know, no app assumes that you're going to back and make fundamental changes to a mesh, willy nilly and everything will be fine. That's how transforms get screwed up and that's how crazy ass bugs get into your files, if you're doing that I suggest you stop.
    @Mark Dygert :

To be fair that's precisely why Blender is such an amazingly powerful modeling app - vertex weighting in it is 100% non-destructive/non-linear as everything is stored in a very straightforward object data lists, and vertex order for weights (and even blend shapes) is maintained even after deleting and/or merging parts of a model. That does make skinning a fluid process which can be started and iterated on at any time during modeling. For instance you can have a fully skinweighted character, delete its head or a limb, merge in other parts ... and you would only need to reskin these new parts (or even better, transfer weights from  source) - everything else will be maintained and good to go. Or you can bring a skin weighted arm from another model altogether, and the only thing needed is to rename the weight lists of the donor model to that of the new model. That's it.

I know this sounds alien since no other program out there allows for such a workflow and I couldn't quite believe it when I first saw it. But I can confirm that it works and flawlessly so. This alone is a huge point in favor of the program, especially for small teams or individuals who can't afford having a TA re-weight characters constantly. It's pretty incredible.

(BTW for those curious : it does so by simply storing weights as named lists inside the model itself. For instance, verts weighted to "L_forearm" will be part of a "L_forearm" list. In practice this allows the program to maintain weights even if vert order is being modified - thus allowing  for any deleting/merging without screwups).
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a practical example of the above applied to blendshapes :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUG3QwRjABY&feature=youtu.be
    As said this also works for skinweights, vertex color data, and so on.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    [quote] Maya excels at rigging and animating but it's modeling tools aren't quite as robust as other apps. [/quote]
    Thats an outdated info. Maya devs did a lot of progress last two years in the modeling area.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I have recently had been stuck with a task  I couldn't do in 3d max  properly.    I needed to re-create a piece of real terrain.     Max couldn't read 32bit geoTIFF  for displacement with actual height stored in HDR values as meters. Couldn't make it work with exr files for the same purpose too.

In Blender it's no problem at all once you tell it the file is linear.   

Then I had to conform a low poly decimated mesh to it with ability to edit mountain silhouettes  in the process.     No luck with MAx  "conform". it just hangs Max with any hi res target object.     In Blender "shrinkwrap" modifier does it  in real time, no problems, with huge amount of geometry.

So Blender at least could be a good auxiliary tool and easiest 3d soft to learn imo
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regarding 3ds max stability- the crashing is clearly system-dependent. While it may be stable for some, know that others are getting crashing all the time.

Maya is almost there but still has some issues in regard to modeling. The tools are there, but the user experience is not. A couple issues I have are-
    • The construction history- It makes modeling operations slow(esp with large models) and you have to delete history every 5 minutes or everything will slow to a crawl. You can turn history off, but most interactive modeling functions will no longer work. What a terrible way to work. There should be a proper way to work without history.
    • Extracting or combing meshes- Puts the resulting meshes under a group, so you after modeling for a while, the outliner will look like a mess and you have to manually delete all history and ungroup everything.
    Overall, I like Maya. For all the talk about mult-object editing in Blender, Maya has had that since the beginning. And 3ds max still doesn't have it because max is terrible.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Max does have it  through  edit poly and other modifiers which could be applied on several objects at ones. For Blender there was an add on that could attach/then detach back selected objects after exiting edit mode. Had its limitations although and I didn't touch it for a while
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    What do you mean by "non-destructive skinning"? Are you expecting changes made to the mesh under the skin modifier to just fine? Because they won't, I don't know any apps that handle that well.
    Houdini does. Skin weights are just another attribute in Houdini. Nothing special about them. Houdini's rigging is top notch, the only area where it can suffer is rig view port performance, which is a pretty bad area to lack performance. However a whole new view port built off Hydra is coming soon that will allow for meaningful performance gains to be made for the foreseeable future.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior that looks great! The more I dig into blender the more I like it. So far I've only dug into modeling, which has some great workflows and dabbled in unwrapping. Some of the unwrapping tools feel a bit old and probably need to be updated, they'll probably get to it but I'm not sure when.

I think the "nondestructive skinning" could get messy if you use it too liberally, so you probably still need to be mindful and not convolute the skin lists, too much. It looks like there are ways to clean it up and keep it organized if it does get messy, so that's awesome. A huge win for Blender, there is so much dancing done in 3dsmax and Maya to get around those issues, it can really open up the iteration time and speed up a lot of work, if that bottle neck is gone.  Thanks for the info!

Maya has probably the next most flexible skinning workflow, with it's ability to copy weights and "transfer geo edits to blendshapes" which has been great for facial animation. Need a loop a help define an eyelid or a shape around the lips? No problem add it, transfer it, done. It sounds like blender might not have an issue with this. 3dsmax has a very narrow path you can go down to salvage work but it's not that flexible and it eats up a bunch of time, scripting helps speed it up, but then learning scripting and taking the time to write it is another time sink all by itself.

Maya and Max have asymmetrical blendshape workflows but they could be improved. I'll have to hunt around and see if blender has similar asymmetrical workflows for shape keys, so far I've only found tutorials on mirroring and symmetrical workflows, but I haven't looked too deeply, it probably does and I just haven't found it.

jRocket I agree, I do like multi-object editing in Maya, I haven't found a way to do that in Blender, but one probably exists. Sadly to find it I have to listen to someone prattle on for 30min about what a polygon is... The closest 3dsmax has is to select multiple objects and apply a modifier like edit poly or UVWunwrap, which creates a modifier instance on each object, allowing you to edit them at the same time. But then a lot of things stop working correctly like "Normalize shells" fails to resize shells in UVW editor, relax goes haywire, object pivots and symmetry don't work correctly and the modifier stack can get unstable if you leave a bunch of those instanced modifiers laying around. Because its modifier based it means you usually have to collapse the stack which in some cases could cause a problem if you have a particular stack you don't want to collapse. Skin, Morphs, procedural modifiers ect...

The construction history is a bit cumbersome to work with In Maya and at times you need to delete it to keep things running smooth, like you said, thankfully Maya has "delete non-deformer" history. Max kind of leaves you hanging with the only option being copy, collapse, skinwrap, covert. I'm not sure what Blender has for history clearing options or if it's even an issue. I haven't run into an issue but then I have been modeling fairly simple stuff.

Working with pivots in maya is a huge pain in the ass and is buggy as hell. 3dsmax, Modo and Blender have good ways of working with pivots, Maya really needs to get its act together on this front but something tells me that will explode the animation tools.

The groups and transforms issues in Maya are a total chore to manage, but you can exploit that when rigging to pull off some awesome stuff fairly easily, if they screw with that, it could get really messy and much harder to rig in Maya.

oglu The modeling toolkit in Maya is a nice step but it is still pretty terrible and needs a lot more work. It brings it up to about 75% of Max and it still lags behind Modo and in a lot of ways Blender too. I hope they keep working on it, but given Autodesks ADHD and short dev sprints I don't know if they will or not. I can't base my opinion on future features that aren't implemented yet. Retopo in Maya is a big drag because of the viewports inability to handle a large number of verts. Which is a shame, it has some great tools for that sort of thing. The interactive modeling features they included are decent but their performance is often an issue. Don't get me started on Maya's viewport and Opacity sorting, or the stupid viewport camera clipping, they are also very annoying and not an issue in any other app. 
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working with pivots in maya is a huge pain in the ass and is buggy as hell. 3dsmax, Modo and Blender have good ways of working with pivots, Maya really needs to get its act together on this front 
    That is interesting. I've found Maya's pivot editing to be one of the best. Just press the d key to go into pivot mode and position/orient with modifier keys. Very useful for lining things up. Only thing that's a little weird is that the transform of the mesh doesn't always line up with the pivot like it does in max/blender, so you can have a model at (0,0,0), but the pivot could be somewhere else. They added the "Bake Pivot" tool for that purpose.

You are right about the multi-object editing in max. I had forgotten that they added that.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I think I would recommend Blender for an all-in-one solution to your concerns.
    I doubt Maya would give you fewer problems than Max.
    Modo has awesome modeling, but is practically useless for rigging/animating.
    Houdini is what I'd consider to be the Substance Designer of 3D work. The company behind it are amazing with similar policies and pricing structures to Allegorithmic, it's mostly procedural, awesome interface.
    It would almost check all the boxes you've described, except that the direct modeling is terrible. You'd need to use a secondary app to handle that if you went with Houdini. I personally use ZBrush+Houdini these days for all my modeling, which I've been told is a common workflow for Houdini modelers.
    Houdini can technically handle any direct modeling needs, but it's extremely slow and unwieldy for that. Development on that front has been fairly poor as well, since no one really uses it for that.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    @Zack Maxwell, how do you do retopo and/or basic block modeling? You use zmodeler? And you are using Houdini more for setting up environments in a procedural way, right?
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zack Maxwell, how do you do retopo and/or basic block modeling? You use zmodeler? And you are using Houdini more for setting up environments in a procedural way, right?
    Houdini can handle retopo/UVs perfectly well either manually or (depending on the asset) procedurally. Basic modeling can be done using ZModeler, but if more accuracy/complexity is needed it can be done in Houdini. There's even GoZ for Houdini, making it that much easier.
    Houdini proceduralism is good for environments. You can even model out stuff in ZBrush and then spread it around procedurally in Houdini.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Didn't know that. I've been attracted to houdini just because it's new and seems like it's got a bright future, but I don't know how worthy it is yet for a character modeler.

Not meaning to derail though. 

I have to jump to maya's defense a little about a few things I saw mentioned though. 

1. editing pivots in maya 2018 is lightning fast and intuitive. press d and click whatever component you want. Can be used with snapping hotkeys too. 

2. viewport sluggishness during dense-mesh retopo : I truly believe I solved this problem a little while back. It's not so much the density of the hi-poly mesh that slows things down, it's how big the lo you are building gets. If you divide your new lo quad-draw mesh into separate meshes every so often, the viewport stays fast even if the hi-poly is in the millions. But still, it is good practice to decimate the hi as much as possible and convert it to an allembic cache. All of this sounds like a lot of workaround but its like, a few seconds of clicking and you're good to go.

3. stability -- I haven't been using maya for so many years like others here, but it never crashes on me unless I've done something totally crazy to deserve it. I''ve worked with some pretty hefty scenes with lots of skeletons and nightmare outliners. I can't imagine something heavier than that unless you were building an entire game level in one maya scene.

But whatever program you use, the best one is going to be the one in which the typical workflows are so intuitive to you that you can disable all UI on screen and work purely by hotkey/marking menu. Maybe some other application has a tool or workflow which makes a few common task a bit quicker, but so what? You can play that game forever. The important thing is that you enjoy your work, so that you will always do it well and forever.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Houdini can handle retopo/UVs perfectly well either manually or (depending on the asset) procedurally. Basic modeling can be done using ZModeler, but if more accuracy/complexity is needed it can be done in Houdini. There's even GoZ for Houdini, making it that much easier.
    Houdini proceduralism is good for environments. You can even model out stuff in ZBrush and then spread it around procedurally in Houdini.
    Direct Modeler is a HDA for modeling in Houdini that makes it a faster, view port oriented process without sacrificing the non destructive nature of Houdini. If you do any modeling in Houdini this asset will pay for itself quickly.

• Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel said:
    Direct Modeler is a HDA for modeling in Houdini that makes it a faster, view port oriented process without sacrificing the non destructive nature of Houdini. If you do any modeling in Houdini this asset will pay for itself quickly.

I checked that out before, but it didn't look like a better solution than just using ZBrush.
    The interface looks awful. A giant grid of buttons would not be easy to manage and sort through quickly.
    Most of the tools seem to have questionable value to me, and don't appear to solve the things that make modeling slow in Houdini.
    It still leaves you with a mountain of nodes to organize.
    It's a third-party plugin, so continued support is unreliable.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mark Dygert : Not enough loops, no problem ! No transfer needed, it just works. And even with the whole model (body and head) assigned to a skeleton and animated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw3flNlRAg4&feature=youtu.be

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Houdini doesn't make much sense as a modeller from a studio perspective due to it's (comparatively very high) cost.  It makes more sense to make use of houdini engine in other tools and leave the grown-ups in charge of houdini itself
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    Houdini doesn't make much sense as a modeller from a studio perspective due to it's (comparatively very high) cost.  It makes more sense to make use of houdini engine in other tools and leave the grown-ups in charge of houdini itself
    Houdini Core is comparable to the annual cost of autodesk software. I don't think the cost of the software really matters much though. If it did, everyone would be using Blender.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    Yeah, for some reason the studio CORE version (for modeling) costs about 33% more than Maya or Max. The Indie version for anyone purchasing it for themselves though only costs $200 a year with full features.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    I checked that out before, but it didn't look like a better solution than just using ZBrush.
    The interface looks awful. A giant grid of buttons would not be easy to manage and sort through quickly.
    Most of the tools seem to have questionable value to me, and don't appear to solve the things that make modeling slow in Houdini.
    It still leaves you with a mountain of nodes to organize.
    It's a third-party plugin, so continued support is unreliable.
     If the UI puts you off nothing I can say there. It's not going to be for everyone. I'm not sure why ZModelers grid of buttons is ok and DM's isn't, different grids for different folks I guess. That HDA is mostly just streamlining existing nodes built around a workflow for view port modeling. You are the first person I've heard concerned that DM doesn't address the view port modeling workflow issues in Houdini. Node organization is a personal and/or pipeline thing. I have not found it to be an issue, nor has anyone else that I know who uses DM. A little bit of time spent subnetting, commenting, and parameter collecting pays dividends down the line when revisions come.

Reliable support into the future is the same for all software whose code you do not have access to. It is still hard to believe Softimage is dead. The only way to escape that uncertainty is to use Blender or write your own 3d software.

poopipe said:
    The cost is higher than most, it isn't that bad though and the value for the money is certainly very high. Talented people to operate the hardware and software are always more expensive. If revisions take more time they cost you more money, and revisions in Houdini are very fast and therefore very cheap. Houdini is not for everyone so if you find yourself coming up with reasons to not use it, don't use it. You won't have a good time.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Bletzkarn said:
    Is there any programs or anything on the horizon that do a better job than 3DSMAX?

In my experience no. Your question is too broad. If Max is constantly crashing on you then there is an issue with your setup, or how you are using it. Ive used Max for about 15 yeas and after getting used to it it has never failed me. I taught Cinema 4D for about 4 years and although I never liked it it is a robust multi media solution. Houdini has a fantastic procedural workflow and Modo is great to use. Maya is robust and its not difficult to see why its so widely used by big studios.

Ive stepped over to Blender 3D but not through dissatisfaction with Max. Ive managed to crash Blender a handful of times but it was due to weird key combinations or other craziness on my part. The advantage of Blender is you download a naked version and include or activate addons as you need them. Unlike Max it doesnt try to satisfy everyone from the get go, so startup is lightning fast. I think Maya has a similar approach.

The amount of info available on Blender is stunning and it has a helpful and dynamic user base. To get up to speed with it quickly you need an internet connection, but that is true of all other alternatives.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
       In my experience 3d max doesn't crash at all when you do something regular, within well described work flow , something standard and well documented.  But once you try to squeeze something beyond that, any new approach  it's where it start to crash fiercely and doesn't tolerate even a slightest user mistake   while something like Blender is much more forgiving  in that regard  usually  allowing more creative approach.
      I bet it's because of lots of outdated tools in Max which have not been updated for years. 
    For example , It has a projection modifier that should work like attribute transfer  in MAya  or Blender.   But never did reliably actually .  And so on

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    ^ same here. Always felt like an app that under hood is held together by nothing more than spit and duct tape.

I was always really careful with the stack, compared to some coworkers who went fancy with it. Theoretically cool possibilities but a fast way to crash and burn in Max in my experience.