Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Samurai ogress

mbullister
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
mbullister polycounter lvl 18
Building a character for the Artstation competition; got a real late start, I'll see what I can do in ~9 days and expect to work past that. 

I've been doing hard surface work professionally, so this is well out of my comfort zone.  Any and all critique is very welcome!

Concept sketch:

Blocking out anatomy.  Hands, feet and face are still placeholders.

without the cloth wrap

Weapon sculpt:

I changed the design on the guard a little, so the crane on the right needs some tweaks.  Other than that, and creating a scabbard, I think the sword is nearly done.

Replies

• mbullister
    Offline / Send Message
    Face, extremities, sword lowpoly

Costume is next, then hair (my current thinking is cards/strips created in Max), then as much sculpting polish as I can afford
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    the detail on the sword sculpt is awesome, can't wait to see how the rest of the model progresses

• mbullister
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Jose!

Current progress on the costume; just Marvelous Designer right now.  The folds on the sleeve caused by the sash are pretty noisy, so I'll address that before sending it to zbrush.

• dGreenberg
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    I'm really liking that concept choice, @mbullister! The sword came out great, and her body sculpt is really looking nice. I think she could use a little more separation in her pants if you're going for the concept look.

It's hard to be sure since she's sitting down, but I think she's wearing something more like hakama. They can be super bunched together from the front, but a little more separate like pants. Right now it almost feels like more of a skirt, if that makes sense? 

I just noticed this while looking at the eyes; while it's super subtle, I think they would really benefit being pushed just slightly further apart. I tried tilting them at more of an angle brought them lower down on the face, but that might also just be my own preferences on eye placement. I did a quick paint-over gif to show what I mean.

Either way the character is looking great, man! I hope you keep working on her and post some more updates when you're able. Good luck moving forward! 

EDIT: I just saw that Satoshi also mentioned the Hakama. I should have checked your submission post before saying that - my bad.
  • mbullister
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg Dude, that's a fantastic crit; thanks so much!
    The hakama style I had in mind when I made the sketch was more like a skirt, but you and Satoshi both picked up on it and it's not really working for me either, so I'll try out the pants style and see if it works.