Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Looking for feedback!] Divine Battlemage - Stylized female character sculpt

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Deydranos polycounter lvl 3
[LATEST UPDATE]

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[ORIGINAL POST]

Hello!

I'm looking for some feedback on a character I'm working on for a student project. It's going to be a 3D stylized female character inspired by the art style of World of Warcraft, League of Legends and Battlerite.

So far I've got a blockout for the body. I would like to know if the proportions seem to be alright. Some proportions are exaggerated, such as thicker thighs, longer neck, thinner waist and upper arms, but maybe it looks weird/wrong. The gap between the legs is probably also too big, but if I move them closer they get merged together on lower dynamesh resolutions, so I'll fix it when I make the retopo. (Same reason why her fingers are still a big blob)

It is based on this concept that I made (feedback on that is also very welcome!):

Side note: This is my first post, so if I did anything wrong please let me know!

Replies

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Silhouette and gesture look solid but there are some area that need volume/curve adjustments like forearm, lower leg, missing scapula .I would thin her torso in side view
  • Deydranos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silhouette and gesture look solid but there are some area that need volume/curve adjustments like forearm, lower leg, missing scapula .I would thin her torso in side view
    Thank you for the feedback! I hope I interpreted it correctly, I've tried to apply most of it :smile: Though on hindsight I think I may have been a little too subtle/careful with some tweaks...

As a more general update to this thread: She now also finally has an actual face!

Probably going to round up that forehead a little bit, I think I got a little too excited with the flatten brush. Planning to start retopoing the body & face soon.
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you are going to put bunch of cloths on her this small tweaks wont really matter just fix scapula and knee, but just in case you want to work more on her base below are few more things that can be improved [head is totally optional , kind of like your original shape]
  • Deydranos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you are going to put bunch of cloths on her this small tweaks wont really matter just fix scapula and knee, but just in case you want to work more on her base below are few more things that can be improved [head is totally optional , kind of like your original shape]
    Again many thanks for the feedback, I've tried to apply most of it!
    (The perspective on the front and backview are a bit off because I didn't want to re-render all 3 sides individually for these minor tweaks)

EDIT: Just noticed I forgot some tweaks on the shins/below the knee, but I guess I can fix that after retopo if it's really jarring.

• Deydranos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a lot of progress lately as I've been preoccupied with other things, but I've begun retopologizing. Proved to be quite difficult, I had hoped this would be faster/easier.

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated! Trying to keep everything quads for now, as I do think I might sculpt on it a bit more in Zbrush. Ears are still a massive work in progress, but they're a massive headache so I plan to do them after I've finished the body.

Will probably re-do the horns with some triangles here and there for the final retopo, but I think the facial topology is alright as a final version? Maybe a bit too high though...
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this going to be animated/blendshapesed/morph or just clean topology for sculpting fine details / low res version for texturing ?
    What ever the answer there are some weird form and edge loops but if its not going to animated don't concern yourself too much
    One thing I suggest to change is her jaw angle and underchin plane

• ScotchTapeWorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks good to me!  I do think the ears seem a bit too low poly in comparison to the rest of the face. Maybe the top corner can be brought in, and aligned with the lower corner, and then extruded out to ease the sharpness, and then round out the top corner by having it a small flat part rather than an actual point. Kind of like this.

Just throwing out ideas. Looks great so far!
  • Deydranos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks good to me!  I do think the ears seem a bit too low poly in comparison to the rest of the face. Maybe the top corner can be brought in, and aligned with the lower corner, and then extruded out to ease the sharpness, and then round out the top corner by having it a small flat part rather than an actual point. Kind of like this.

Just throwing out ideas. Looks great so far!
    The ears were still a massive WIP back then and I wasn't planning on the low poly being final, it was just too much of a headache for me to bother at the time. Though your suggestion did give me an idea on how to tackle the ears in the end, so many thanks for that!

Is this going to be animated/blendshapesed/morph or just clean topology for sculpting fine details / low res version for texturing ?
    What ever the answer there are some weird form and edge loops but if its not going to animated don't concern yourself too much
    One thing I suggest to change is her jaw angle and underchin plane

That question is a bit of a toss up; it doesn't have to be animated and I don't plan on doing so myself, but I do want to get proper topology that can be taken to the animation step (as it'll be a portfolio piece eventually as well). However I also don't have the time to get too hung up about it, so in the end I did have to 'accept' some unfortunate polyloops. I did end up tweaking some of the weird edge-flows because I definitely wasn't happy with the side of the face, like you mentioned. Also tried to change the jaw angle/underchin plane as recommended, albeit I'm not sure the change is visible enough, some of it was undone whenever I tried to relax the topology in that area.

• Deydranos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time no update, but this project hasn't died yet! Got caught up in other things again but I've finally managed to finish the retopo last week for the entire body.

The hips were a nightmare to get right and I'm sure that the current edgeflow in that area is not exactly optimal, but I didn't want to waste too much time on the retopo, needed to start the high-poly ASAP.

Speaking of the highpoly...

Managed to get the blockout done and am now working on detailing!
    Managed to get all of the detail from the initial dynamesh sculpt onto my retopo after some trial and error. I thinned down the legs because the several layers of material (metal on top of leather on top of cloth) making it look a bit too thick for my tastes. Currently almost all of the armour shapes are just rough dynameshed shapes and initially I planned to retopo those manually and then add the trimming and such later. However I ended up using the dynameshed shapes for the trimming anyway due to time constraints, the fact that I would have to retopo everything afterwards for the final 'game' model anyway and the fact that I managed to figure out a way to get fairly clean trimming without needed clean topology. Hoping to get this high poly done by the end of the week.

No clue how the heck I'm going to retopo the fur though... I'm thinking either hair-cards (which wouldn't look nice with the more stylized/chunky style that I want) or manually retopo'ing (which is a nightmare due to the number of tufts of hair). If anyone has any better ideas, feel free to share!
  • Deydranos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    High poly is finally done too!

On the one hand it was easier and more convenient than I thought, but it also took longer than I planned. Now on to retopologizing this, baking and then texturing.