Home Technical Talk

I want to use Zbrush for Hard surface (For Production)

Is this thing accepted from studios? I want to model/sculpt a hard surface in Zbrush and later use that for retoplogy and to be used in animation.

I really like how Zbrush handle hard surface, it is 100x better than Maya. So i was thinking, can i use Zbrush apart from character to sculpt also hard surface? Like mechanical stuff, vehicles etc.

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Some people don't mind it, other's (particularly those with a history of having to revise other people's work) frown upon the thought with valid reason. I imagine whether or not it is something you could do will depend largely on the studio (the size of it, the type of work it does, etc)
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    In a previous art test a requirement was "high poly model with edge loops for subdivision". So I guess the same as cryrid.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    ima just say don't do it.

its probably not wrong to learn it, because there are certain workflows where zbrush hardsurface might be realy usefull.
    but there will also be a lot of cases where its utterly useless and trying get the result you have to deliver will be certainly possible, but a lot slower then the alternative( wich is traditional subdivision modeling).

so i wouln'nt rely on it, and you should have an alternative for when it does;nt work.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This will be far more feasible with Zbrush 4R7, with dedicated smoothing modes, precise edge loop control, and things of that nature.

The issue with using Zbrush as it is now for hardsurface work is that not only can you not go back and precisely edit edges, but it will sometimes produce a blobby result that cannot be easily fixed without re-doing the entire piece.

In an environment where changes are inevitable, using Zbrush probably isn't a good idea, as it would cost you more time at the end of the day if you wanted to change something.

A clean HP mesh will always be easier to work with.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    There's a big thread on it here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128964

A lot of people argue that doing it in ZBrush will give you a speed boost since you can just dynamesh awkward shapes, e.g. a piece of armor shaped like an eagle's head might be a pain to model, but could be blocked out fairly quickly in a sculpt (and then retop'd for better surface quality if required....) although, you then have to think about whether or not it would have been faster just modeling it in the first place.

Mike P also does some pretty cool character based stuff with it, some of his vids: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWiZI2dglzpaCYNnjcejS-Q

RexM - I kinda thought the same, but a lot of the Zmodeler tools were only demo'd on a small cube, I would be interested to see how they work on a more complex shape like a curved surface or more awkward slopes.

I think the general consensus is that hard surface in ZB sacrifices precision for speed. Again its debated a lot in the above thread, worth checking out!
  • Pravely
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What bothers me is that i am not sure if studio accept or hire someone like that. I know Maya, but sometimes, when i try and use Zbrush, the shape and form comes so fast that i try and model in Maya. And many times, i have no clue how to model something, a shape, a techniques,most tuts i found a more for Zbrush hard surface than Maya :)

Maybe because of that i asked this question :)
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I played around with the idea of doing hardsurface in Zbrush and it's just silly to me. I prefer to have precise control and comfort that only traditional modeling can offer.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    In that case, you should definitely learn how to make them shapes using a program besides Zbrush.

Zbrush4R7 should bring in some nice solutions for hardsurface modeling using Zbrush. But you still should know how to achieve what you want via SubD modeling.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I work with a few Zbrush hardsurface wizards.

Totally a viable route.

These are the dudes:
    http://www.marcoplouffe.com
    http://drawcrowd.com/fred2303/projects
    http://cedricseaut.prosite.com

All done in zbrush.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Pravely wrote: »
    What bothers me is that i am not sure if studio accept or hire someone like that. I know Maya, but sometimes, when i try and use Zbrush, the shape and form comes so fast that i try and model in Maya. And many times, i have no clue how to model something, a shape, a techniques,most tuts i found a more for Zbrush hard surface than Maya :)

Maybe because of that i asked this question :)

There's your problem. You're trying to model in Maya, so anything would seem better by comparison.
    There are better options than either ZBrush or Maya for hard surface work.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    There's your problem. You're trying to model in Maya, so anything would seem better by comparison.
    There are better options than either ZBrush or Maya for hard surface work.

qft

i hear character artists wanting to shoehorn their character art workflow into making hard surface a lot, and it rarely ever works. traditional subd modeling isn't going away for a long while. It's fast, clean, and above all--predictable. it really is the best option, imo.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    For some strange reason every time this topic comes up we end up in very polarized answers ... Now I would agree that the thread title might be a bit misleading :
    I want to use Zbrush for Hard surface (For Production)

But Prav is being very clear here :
    I want to model/sculpt a hard surface in Zbrush and later use that for retoplogy

And that makes a whole lot of sense !

- Of course you most likely want your final deliverable meshes to be built with clean topology ready for subdivision ; and such models can also be complemented with straight-on polygon work, as demonstrated by Snefer in his recent videos.

- Of course sculpting can help in the process. Now I'll admit that I personally do have a bias against meshes delivered as a polygon soup by the Zbrush wizards mentioned above, simply because despite looking great they are very heavy to manipulate (I personally cannot stand to work in 3D under 60 or 30 fps, and Zbrush dips way below that when working with such models. It seems that some artists don't mind that, but I am just not one of them, and I wouldn't recommend anyone to work that way because of the inertia it causes). But when it comes to finding/solving shapes to make them work in space, sculpting programs with dynamesh-like capabilities are a huge timesaver. Now of course for blueprint-based work or very angular mechanical work it's all kind of pointless ; but as soon as surfaces bend in space in semi-organic ways, it would be a bit silly to not leverage the power of sculpting to get things resolved.

It's all about separating the artistic tasks (resolving the shape to be modeled) from execution tasks (producing the technical mesh). I feel like the only good argument against leveraging Zbrush for that is the fact that it requires OBJ exports/imports or Zapplink, which is always a drag and can get one out of the zone. But this whole debate would suddenly become irrelevant if programs like Max and Maya had solid sculpting tools integrated in their toolset ... like Blender does.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0654GCPxDhw[/ame]

Hybrid integrated workflows are the way to go !
  • Pravely
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry prior, I wasn't sure what title to put on this thread.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    i am always wondering how someone would do just simple tasks such as widening a chamfer on a dynameshed model. sure you can trim brush around but it's never mechanically clean and doing it for a long edge feels like a really tedious job to me, while in modelling its a really simple task

i can see sculpting as a way to create the mayor shapes, totally but such fine tuning? how does one handle it? Or simple form changes requested by clients/leads/artdirectors? a simple basemesh is just so much easier to handle in a clean manner.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Neox, I totally agree - it is one of the details often brushed aside by the advocates of a 100% sculpt-based approach. I think the misunderstanding might simply come from the fact that such an approach is actually quite acceptable for some projects, as illustrated by the LoL pipeline wich doesn't necessarily require super clean meshes or bakes. It also works pretty well for previz work, like the recent Zbrush 4r7 images show. But indeed, with high-end models and bakes, any attempt at re-sculpting the thickness of a bevel always looks awful.

Pravely : no worries about the title man, you made your point very clear in your OP.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    and widening the bevel is the easier part of possible tasks, how would you tighten it in a clean way? i am talking about mechanical models on organics you might get away with pinching it.

I guess for personal work it is great, you know what you want, you don't have to follow (or interpret) a concept by someone else, the way you do it is right and nobody will do the artdirection but the person in charge, you.
  • Pravely
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing i am not sure how to do it is retopology on hard surface. They are tuts for just organic stuff.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's pretty much exactly the same thing :) (see video above)
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I've gotten a fair share of work over the last year that was very mock-up heavy. There were plenty of opportunities to use zbrush for hardsurface work where it would have been a complete waste of time to try and block out the same thing with clean subdivision topology.

When it comes to making adjustments like edge bevels (or removing one), you really have to break out of the mindset of the traditional workflow. If I'm using dynameshed hard surface models in zbrush, then more often than not it will be either to:
    • create something stylized with a hand-carved look to the edges (blizardy), in which case bevels are going to be carved in with a trim/flatten brush
    • to combine several base shapes (additive or subtractive) into a single solid volume (in which case the bevels are already made and can be tweaked just like a normal mesh)
    That is where the speed of zbrush hard-surface is when compared to all the "how do I make this shape flow into that" and "why is my cylinder getting pinched" threads. The trade off for the speed gained there is the time that will need to be spent redynameshing the model every time a change is made. Its a quick process all by itself, but it could easily stack if revisions get out of hand. The trick is to have all the base shapes stored either within the subtools, or within your project hierarchy in the most efficient way you can keep them. Then it doesn't take long to restore a mesh, adjust the subtractive bevels as needed, and recombine.

Personally I'm an advocate of using zbrush in conjunction with other programs, so a bevel for me would be tweaked externally and then sent back to zbrush to reboolean. If I were doing it all in zbrush then I would store the sharpened additive state as a morph target and layer. That way any edge could quickly be restored to the original sharpness and rebeveled as needed.

It's not as fast as meshfusion, but it can still be faster than trying to make an acceptable sub-d mesh, if the project allows it.
  • phaedarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phaedarus polycounter lvl 10
    NURBS is another tool worth considering. They were created specifically for hard surface objects like vehicles.

In addition to being parametric, they are easy to modify after the fact. For certain objects like pipes and wiring, NURBS are definitely the way to go.

The nice thing about Maya is that it gives the best results with the NURBS to Polygon conversion process. You have quite a bit of control there especially with the recent reduction tool that was added since 2014 for a cleaner mesh. One final bonus is that you get the best possible UV map base to work with for cylindrical objects after the conversation.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    I assume, you should only re-topologize organize and model from scratch hard surface.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Wow a 4 year old thread for a software that has changed it's hard surface game quite a bit since then.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter