Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dishonored character fan art : Need critiques for texture

MujtabaYousuf
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
MujtabaYousuf polycounter lvl 3
Hi guys!
Hope you all are having a great day. So i am currently in a art test form game art institute and working on this character. 
I am at this stage where everything looks dull.There are no good tuts on texturing clothes in substance painter so I am kinda lost. Need constructive criticism on this. Just tell me anything that will help me in further taking this to next level. I will keep posting daily updates whether big or small. 
Cheers and thanks. :)

Replies

• MujtabaYousuf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE: So more progress on this guy. Added dirt, grunge dust. Some stripes. Darker colors for variation. Took a quick render of how everything looks when it renders.

Hope you all are having  a great day
  • MujtabaYousuf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone. More progress. 
  • MujtabaYousuf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At this point i don't know if i can call it finished. 
  • MrJar0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrJar0 polycounter lvl 2
    It is a nice beginning, but it needs more work.
    The fabric is a bit too rough. The rope looks too new. Especially considering how dirty the rest is. The dirt is too generic. How did the dirt get there, why no dirt in other places. You forgot the seams. The insets are a bit at a wrong angle. The clothing is also way too new. No scratches or any tearing. Use surface imperfections to tell a story about your character.
    The skin needs some love too. From his clothing we can tell he is a dock worker. Add some beard hair. Not much, just a stubble. Maybe some oil stains. His skin is definitely too soft. He is exposed to cold winds and salty water every day. That has a certain effect on the skin.

All in all it is a good beginning, but it is far from finished.
    Keep up the good work.
  • MujtabaYousuf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrJar0 said:
    It is a nice beginning, but it needs more work.
    The fabric is a bit too rough. The rope looks too new. Especially considering how dirty the rest is. The dirt is too generic. How did the dirt get there, why no dirt in other places. You forgot the seams. The insets are a bit at a wrong angle. The clothing is also way too new. No scratches or any tearing. Use surface imperfections to tell a story about your character.
    The skin needs some love too. From his clothing we can tell he is a dock worker. Add some beard hair. Not much, just a stubble. Maybe some oil stains. His skin is definitely too soft. He is exposed to cold winds and salty water every day. That has a certain effect on the skin.

All in all it is a good beginning, but it is far from finished.
    Keep up the good work.
    Thanks for the comment. Will show more progress soon.
  • dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    Hey @MujtabaYousuf; the guy is coming along nicely but getting those materials to read properly will really make a big difference. 

I think it would help if you tried to find an example or a character that's already been created, and nail that look down. Both the skin and the cloth could use some work. Maybe some gradients to add interest would be a nice way to pump things up? Does the guy have any other material maps other than a diffuse texture? A big reason on why things are looking so flat could have a lot to do with your other materials right now. 

@nimlot26 did an awesome art dump for the outfits in Dishonored 2 back in March last year, and if you check out his ArtStation you can even see some of the materials in Marmoset Viewer to help understand his approach a little bit better. 

The resources are out there but sometimes they're tricky to find. I hopefully you can keep working and improving this dude, and be sure to post all your materials and maps if you're able to during a future update!
  • MujtabaYousuf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More updates
    dGreenberg said:
    Hey @MujtabaYousuf; the guy is coming along nicely but getting those materials to read properly will really make a big difference. 

I think it would help if you tried to find an example or a character that's already been created, and nail that look down. Both the skin and the cloth could use some work. Maybe some gradients to add interest would be a nice way to pump things up? Does the guy have any other material maps other than a diffuse texture? A big reason on why things are looking so flat could have a lot to do with your other materials right now. 

@nimlot26 did an awesome art dump for the outfits in Dishonored 2 back in March last year, and if you check out his ArtStation you can even see some of the materials in Marmoset Viewer to help understand his approach a little bit better. 

The resources are out there but sometimes they're tricky to find. I hopefully you can keep working and improving this dude, and be sure to post all your materials and maps if you're able to during a future update!
    Thank you for your comment and what do u mean by posting maps and materials? Do u mean my marmoset setup or whole maps. There isn't one diffuse map. There are diffuse, specular, glossiness, ao, etc for each. That maens the head separate, eyes, and the clothing. Idk if i can post all of my maps here if that is what you are saying.
  • dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    Nice! The face is already looking better with the stubble, man.

Yeah I was thinking more the actual maps (maybe just the ones that you're not happy with) but it's totally your call. Stuff like that would just help the forum get a better idea of what you have going on, and maybe what you could fix to make things more punchy for the sake of the character. I think that when getting critiques on something the more information you can post the better off you'll be.
  • MujtabaYousuf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! The face is already looking better with the stubble, man.

Yeah I was thinking more the actual maps (maybe just the ones that you're not happy with) but it's totally your call. Stuff like that would just help the forum get a better idea of what you have going on, and maybe what you could fix to make things more punchy for the sake of the character. I think that when getting critiques on something the more information you can post the better off you'll be.
    I don't think I am having problems with the maps. I already baked everything down why am i gonna have problems with that? The main problem I am having is knowing what more is this character missing? Maybe some gradient or lighting in the render? . I am actually working on it quite more so let's see.
  • rel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rel polycounter lvl 6
    This is looking awesome I love the proportions in the face. That nose has a lot of character! Your lighting is good and showcases the model well.

I think it may have been mentioned above but in general I think this could use more fraying/weathering. The fabrics all look very new. The texturing in the face is beautiful, but I'd love to see just as much attention to detail in the clothing in order to tell the story of the character. You have some room to really wear in those clothes more. For a character artist the story telling you're able to do with the clothing is just as important as a great anatomy sculpt. 

Check out this quick paintover below showing a potential way to bring in some more breakup and grungy details:

Your lighting is great! And the face is looking awesome. To take this to the next level I would focus more on details and grunge to really bring in that Dishonored feel. Here's a great link to some Dishonored concept art to help see the grunginess of their clothes (and their AWESOME fold painting I mean wow them sleeves!). https://bethesda.net/en/article/782pltbO6cQgYwYumOMAmQ/dishonored-2-fashion-gallery

Keep going! Your lighting is beautiful, keep pushing your details and story telling in this whaler. 
  • MujtabaYousuf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, More updates. Added scratches, more hair stubble and dirt.rel said:
    This is looking awesome I love the proportions in the face. That nose has a lot of character! Your lighting is good and showcases the model well.

I think it may have been mentioned above but in general I think this could use more fraying/weathering. The fabrics all look very new. The texturing in the face is beautiful, but I'd love to see just as much attention to detail in the clothing in order to tell the story of the character. You have some room to really wear in those clothes more. For a character artist the story telling you're able to do with the clothing is just as important as a great anatomy sculpt. 

Check out this quick paintover below showing a potential way to bring in some more breakup and grungy details:

Your lighting is great! And the face is looking awesome. To take this to the next level I would focus more on details and grunge to really bring in that Dishonored feel. Here's a great link to some Dishonored concept art to help see the grunginess of their clothes (and their AWESOME fold painting I mean wow them sleeves!). https://bethesda.net/en/article/782pltbO6cQgYwYumOMAmQ/dishonored-2-fashion-gallery

Keep going! Your lighting is beautiful, keep pushing your details and story telling in this whaler. 
    Thank you so much for your comment and the paintover. Really appreciated. I am actually doing a new project now and all of it what  I have learnt from here I will apply in the next character. Thank you guys.