Home Technical Talk

Pulling rectangular detail from the side of a cylinder?

Elarionus
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Elarionus polycounter lvl 3
I was hoping to get some advice on modeling a certain piece of a cylinder. I've been trying retaining edge loops and crease sets modifiers (with both turbosmooth and open subdivision) but I can't figure out how to get this to look correct. Here are some screenshots of what I've tried:

These first two show the object I'm trying to get, and the result with no retaining edge loops.

Here's with the first set of edge loops:

And here's another set...which looks good for the rectangle, but the cylinder is super ridged because of it. :/

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inset/chamfer the quads before you extrude them. This will help isolate the cylinder from the extrusion. Then chamfer the rising edges of the extrusion to retain the rectangular corners.

I did a Google images search for "subdivision modeling extrude cylinder" and found this gem of a thread again:
    https://polycount.com/discussion/104331/not-enough-geo
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    if its for normalmap baking would do that with a floating object.

if its a highres object and its made of metal there could be a third object (weldseam) to hide this area.
    i would go with a creative solution and not trying todo magic if its not needed.
  • Elarionus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elarionus polycounter lvl 3
    oglu said:
    if its for normalmap baking would do that with a floating object.

if its a highres object and its made of metal there could be a third object (weldseam) to hide this area.
    i would go with a creative solution and not trying todo magic if its not needed.
    It's a highres weapon, made out of metal. I'm sure someday I'll get good enough at ZBrush to sculpt really nice looking weld seams, but I'm on a time crunch at the moment. :/
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric has really good advice, that is pretty much the standard way of dealing with that kind of extrude.
    Oglu has an interesting idea with floating geo, that can work too.

If you're looking to cover up the seam with welds, you might want to check out this script
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt1Bq-J27O4

Download link: https://jokermartini.com/product/welder/

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Unless it's a casting/molding you generally don't get that sort of shape as one piece in real life - even with a casting it wouldn't be a 90 degree connection. 

Ergo, slap a weld on it.   Since you're in max just proboolean the two bits together, convert the resulting edge selection to a renderable spline with generated uvs and use a displace modifier to make it look like welds. It'll only take a few minutes. 

• LandeTLS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LandeTLS polycounter lvl 4
    Other answers are good solutions. You can also probably get the result you are after by doing like so:
    if its not tight enough then use creasing, smoothgroups+turbosmoothx2 method or offset the vertical loops out closer to the edge of the face (or just use more segments on your original cylinder so you are working with 3/4 or more edges instead of just 2). I use this method all the time, The key here is that the "supporting edges" are similar in width to the topology on your extrusion. hopefully this helps