Home Technical Talk

Zbrush preferences transfer (Mac)

hero character
Offline / Send Message
thomasp hero character
Hey,

I'm trying to transfer my preferences for ZBrush 4R8 P2 to a fresh installation on a Mac (running High Sierra).

I have tricked out ZStartup folders from a matching version for Windows and from a P2 Mac beta that Pixo once gave me to confirm a bugfix. Replacing the Zstartup folder in the install directory with an alias to my custom folder is what worked in the past. Here it produces a crash on startup (I removed all the *.zsc's beforehand to have them regenerate for the correct platform and version).

Now, where do I have to copy custom scripts, macros and presets to make ZBrush find them automagically on startup and so that they are stored within the user profile? 

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Still wrestling with this. Why did they store parts of the preferences in the app install folder and some in a shared folder under /Users (same on windows)? This used to be simple...
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Ok, solved. Here's how to deal with it:

1. linking ZStartup into the main installation requires a symbolic link  and not an alias (alias is equivalent to shortcut on windows)
    2. alias and symbolic link share the same icon and both identify as alias in file properties (..... F!§$&$%&%$§CK!!)
    -> create symlink (ln -s) from Library/Application Support to ZB install directory. That should do it.

And hello to my future self who will inevitably have to google this again in a few years. :)