Home Career & Education

I've been offered a job but....

CGPotato
null
Offline / Send Message
CGPotato null
Hi all,

I've recently been offered a job in my field (sort of). This is my first offer after graduating  however while it is in my general area of interest it's totally the wrong side of it, if that makes scene, it's clean up and match move work, which Is not my area at all I'm a character animator. 
I'm torn whether I should accept it. I'm aware that any experience is good experience but I feel that there are too many caveats. The job is the other side of the country, it's not really work that I'd put on my showreel, the pay isn't really enough to move on nor is the contract long enough I'd end up losing money doing this.

I'm financially secure enough to continue as I am so I'm not desperate for the employment. on one hand I feel that taking it will be a mistake in the scene that I'm going to have to put myself in the red just for the opportunity, but on the other hand I feel that not taking it will be a mistake too.

I'd really appreciate some advice on this situation, 
thanks.

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Well at the end of the day it's your call but really I strongly suspect you've already expended a forensic level of thought in terms of weighing the pros v cons scenario which from my perspective leans quite heavily towards the latter so....
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    I think you already answered yourself to the question.
    To give you my opinion, if money is not a problem ( and it seems that it is your case ) i wouldn't move to the other side of my country to do something i don't like and that don't pay well neither.
    You won't have any advantages really.
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    I generally agree unless this move across the country will position you geographically closer to an industry hub than you are now. 
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Since money isn't a issue they you have to ask yourself would this job make you happy, if not than keep on looking.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Job won't make you happy!

• garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Clean up and Match Move work.. you mean like using track software like Boujou for vfx?

Whoa, dude that might to be too out of your field. If you want to try it out, sure, but just know that it may sink more of your time, getting adjusted to the job, the area, and the production workflow. The character animation stuff you'd be focusing on would be pushed on the side, doing that after work or whenever you're free. Experience is experience, but just give it some thought if you think it's worth it. Similar to QA, check the schedule and time, if they have the habit for repetitive crunch or overtime. That'll sink in your time to do character animations on the side.

I can kind of relate. I did some stereoscopic compositing for vfx in the area I was in (San Diego, CA, USA). It was popping up in the scene in like 2010. My background was more towards 3D art, props, and slowly was transitioning to environment art. Did the compositing job for like 3.5 years. I did some low-poly work on the side, early on when I was working in compositing full-time. The moment crunch kicked it, it just became a regular thing. It just kicked in like weeks after starting another project. It eventually became a bit obvious that I wanted to get back in games or get a job as a 3D Artist. My portfolio screamed it out, every time I chat with coworkers, I would often talk about games or game art, and even events like GDC. I eventually left, with no job lined up after, to focus on my portfolio, around early 2014. On one side, it felt like a time-sinker, BUT if anything, that was production experience.

This is just my two cents. IF you want to do it for the experience, go for it or try it out. Just know that if you want to do character animation, it'll show. During my time in vfx, I've seen a few that came in straight out of college, with degrees in animation or game art, and end up getting comfortable in the vfx space.

The thing that I can't say much bad things about, even though I felt like it was a dreading experience, was that it is production experience. You'll be dealing with different personalities. Some are in it for the job, the money, or credits in a movie/title, etc.

You mentioned you're financially secure, and you may have a bit of leg room to focus more on your stuff. One side of me wants to say go for it and try it out, another side will say with the extra room you have, spend it on your portfolio, grab some projects online for freelance or any contracts, polish and refine your skill-set. I hope this helps, this was a long post, my bad lol.