Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feudal Japan - Samurai

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
DerpingTimmy polycounter lvl 8
Hey Polycount! Its been a while since I've posted here. 

As the Artstation challenge started I would love to keep my progress posted here as well :) Especially for having a wider audience for additional feedback,

So far I've created my own base mesh for practricing and using a new workflow. Same workflow as Shane Olson, so far i'm loving it!

Link to my submission:
https://www.artstation.com/contests/feudal-japan/challenges/53/submissions/37212

However I will keep both pages up to date :) 

Replies

• Dumbanana
    Offline / Send Message
    Dumbanana polycounter lvl 11
    Hey man, I think this is a pretty decent block out. It's obviously stylized but still feels good. The main area that sticks out and bothers me right away as feeling wrong, is her head position/ neck position. The rib cage continues up and has a decent angle above the clavicles/ scapulas. Right now it's too horizontal. I hope the attached image helps to clarify!

I've just pulled the head forward so the back of the cranium aligns roughly with the acromion process area, and angeled the neck so it inserts into the new plane of the rib cage.

Cool start though, good luck!

• DerpingTimmy
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dumbanana
    Thank you very much for the feedback! The more pictures / paint overs the merrier.
    I will correct this over the weekend. I've noticed a few more mistakes while blocking in the armor.

So far, my schedule is to create a general blocking of the concept at the end of this week and have a start at the general anatomy / face during the weekend. Then on Monday ill correct the blocking of the armor according to the new anatomy.

I will post an update of the armor soon! 
  • DerpingTimmy
    Offline / Send Message
    Blocking of the lower armor is pretty much done. 

I've started with the blockin in Marvelous Designer. I'm no pro at this so its a good practice. struggling and learning a lot as I go. 

Tomorrow ill start blocking the upper torso.
  • DerpingTimmy
    Offline / Send Message
    I've spent some time today finishing up the armor and I'm ready to start with the face and anatomy.
    let me know what you think, feedback is always appreciated. 

• DerpingTimmy
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys! Its been a while and I got some updates :D 

Worked a lot on her proportions and a bit on the anatomy so far. its not done yet but feedback is welcome as always :) 

Also refined her interior clothing more, still working on that! Will post an update of this soon. 

Last night i almost finalised the katana :) still missing some details.