Home Technical Talk

UV the same exact objects once?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Peppek1993 polycounter lvl 2
Hey guys, so I'm making a little stylized cart and found myself kind of jumping forward to the moment when I will be unwrapping it and have a question.

Here's the model:

Now, the wheels, wooden bars sticking out, ropes, the little metal things above wheels etc etc are all basically either a copy or a mirror copy of each other, just sometimes resized and/or rotated.

How can I make it so that I only UV 1 wheel for example and copy over the UV maps to the rest of them to:
a) Save time
b) Save some space in final texture map to have higher resolution

What is the proper, industry level, method of achieving that step-by-step?

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Unwrap one wheel, and duplicate it around. Thats it.
  • Peppek1993
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    Unwrap one wheel, and duplicate it around. Thats it.

So then after duplicating I'll have to manually position everything back into place or is there any faster and more automated way of doing that?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess you could snap them to your existing copies. Really, this is the standard way. You should have think ahead. Now you will think ahead next time. If you do this on the run, it doesn't add any extra time because you already make duplicates.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If the pieces arent merged, you can try copy pasting the uvmap but this won't work if everything is merged into one mesh because the vertex order is singificantly different on all copies because of the merge. My previous reply may sound a bit harsh but you need to improve your workflow, and my answer tells you how to improve it. So on your future pieces, you won't face this issue again.
  • Peppek1993
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, but what would you suggest? That in the future I don't create the duplicates before unwrapping?

Then I won't even know how the final object will look like.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You just need to switch a few steps... Before you make the duplicates, unwrap. Come on, its a hollow cylinder. Takes like 20 seconds to unwrap. Also I'm not sure what do you mean by how it will look like. It will look like the concept because thats your goal. Imagine if construction workers would start painting an unfinished stack of bricks because they want to see how it will look like... There is an order of steps that you need to follow in order to properly complete your work.
  • Peppek1993
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well yeah but isn't unwrapping on the go a bit odd? My current workflow is making a low poly object, then high poly , then unwrapping, baking etc.

It would be kind of annoying if I would have to unwrap every object that I want to duplicate and reuse.

In this case yeah, "it's a hollow cylinder", but if It was a piece that took 5-10-15 minutes unwrapping then it becomes a pain in the ass.

I'm looking for a way to make a final low poly object and then unwrap it but also save time by not unwrapping the same element X times.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Peppek1993
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, noone is forcing you to help me. If you don't want to then don't instead of being rude.

Anyone with actual proper knowledge could help me unsolve this one? 
  • Octo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octo polycounter lvl 18
    Make an instance copy of your wheel instead, then when you unwrap the original, the copy will also get unwrapped.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Two smart options, both of which have been explained in detail by @obscura already, who, if you review his post history, it's quite clear he has "proper knowledge." But let me see if I can explain this in a different way that may be helpful : 

1. Know what the hell you are building from the beginning so you can plan to save work where ever possible. This is why production of 3d assets its split into phases. First you make a concept, then you execute it. Just like if you go for a cross-country hike. You get a map, figure out what the fuck you are going to do, and then you do it. If you don't do step 1, you end up lost and you die.

2. Do a quick concept to figure out what the hell you are building so that you can revert to #1. So if you want to have a little fun and try out some ideas, sure go for it. But understand this is not the production model. This is your concept. The purpose of this is to help you make your plan of attack. 

The less-smart option, which I'm sure we all do when we are new to modeling, is make things up as you go along then feel stressed when you find yourself painted into a corner. Also, as mentioned, there are tools to help you when you do paint yourself in a corner. You can copy/paste UV's, but the topology has to the same. So after you duplicated an object, you cannot then perform any functions that change the vertex order and still be able to copy/paste UV's.

The tools in the 3d artist toolbelt are extremely flexible, but you still have to make a plan and exercise good judgement. Problem with a beginner is you don't know what all the tools are  and what they can do -- but luckily there is great people here and elsewhere who will tell you for free. So don't be pissy when they tell you something you don't want to hear.

• Peppek1993
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't being even remotely pissy. He told me "Imagine if construction workers would start painting an unfinished stack of bricks because they want to see how it will look like" then he pretty much advised me to do that.

Let me get it clear because I, honestly, just don't understand you. I'm not being rude, just simply am not quite 100% sure if that's what you mean.

I know what I'm building from the beggining. I have a concept image, I'm following it. But if I have an object that has 4 wheels you're suggesting I model 1 wheel, unwrap it and then duplicate the already unwrapped wheels?

That, to me, seems counterintuitive, annoying and just straight up dumb. 

Every time I want to reuse the already existing shape you're suggesting that I unwrap it before?

I'm asking about a situation where I have a clear plan and outcome in mind, I model everything, low poly, high poly and THEN after I finish my low poly model, delete all the unncessary faces, lines, vertices, make it as optimal as possible, and only THEN I want to start unwrapping.

That's what I've been doing, that's what everyone else is telling me is the current workflow and that's what everyone else seems to be doing.

Low poly>high poly>unwrap>bake>texture
    High poly>low poly>unwrap>bake>texture

2 schools, none of them consists of "unwrap things as you go". Noone ever told me that I have to unwrap stuff DURING the actual process of modeling. Hence my extreme confusion.

To be honest I'd much rather just unwrap the same thing 4 times than bother unwrapping it during my modeling process and I refuse to believe that this is what people are doing.

I'm 100% sure there's a more optimal and better way of sharing textures across the same elements that don't include all that fuss that I wrote above. That's why I might seem "unhappy with the answers".
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you're suggesting I model 1 wheel, unwrap it and then duplicate the already unwrapped wheels?

That, to me, seems counterintuitive, annoying and just straight up dumb. 

2 schools, none of them consists of "unwrap things as you go". Noone ever told me that I have to unwrap stuff DURING the actual process of modeling. Hence my extreme confusion.

To be honest I'd much rather just unwrap the same thing 4 times than bother unwrapping it during my modeling process and I refuse to believe that this is what people are doing.

I'm 100% sure there's a more optimal and better way of sharing textures across the same elements that don't include all that fuss that I wrote above. That's why I might seem "unhappy with the answers".

1. Yes, that is exactly what we are suggesting because that is the best way we know how to do it. Can you think of a better way? If so, try it out and let us know how it went.

2. Why is this counterintuitive and dumb? Because nobody showed you step by step in a tutorial? That's because tutorials intentionally keep things very simple so you can grasp the basic concepts first. Tutorials go 1,2,3, but after you get a bit more experience and challenge yourself with some more projects, you will start realizing that sometimes mixing and matching the steps can save you a lot of time and headache. So learning 3d isn't about following a dogma, it's about becoming familiar with your tools, and then you are totally free to decide the best way to use them given any unique circumstance.

3. You can refuse to believe the sky is blue, but it's blue. 

4. If you don't like the answers, develop your own! And please share.
  • Peppek1993
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, that's very informative.

I just never saw anyone do it that way so I was a bit confused but if that's how it should be done then I will keep that in mind on my next project.

Regarding the thing I already made. What would be my best course of action right now?

Should I just finish the low poly model, delete any duplicates I have, unwrap it and then put it all back together and proceed on making high poly out of it?

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just whatever is quickest and least painful. 

Personally, I'd probably take things like the wheels, unwrap one, duplicate it four times, and then move the duplicates into place. You can leave teh old ones there to snap to so it's fast and easy. Don't let UV's intimidate you. IMO, it's the easiest part of game models. It's really not that much work, once you get familiar with the tools.

• Peppek1993
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'm not that scared of unwrapping itself, it's just that on my previous project I spent like 25 minutes unwrapping 7 elements that were literally exact copies of itself before realising that this is probably not the best way of approaching this.

I'm just trying to learn the correct habits so that I can try to be as efficient as possible and not inhabit wrong workflow

• Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    Haven't read all of that, but will say here that some if not most of the programs offer options to transfer uvs from meshes that are the same.

You can also use instances, but i think that transferring is a bit better.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    - Make one lowpoly wheel. That's 5 minutes or less.
    - Make 3 copies (as you already did). There is no need for these copies to be instances or anything like that. Just duplicate the original. That's 4 wheels, and that marks the end of the lowpoly modeling of the wheels. That's it, a 2 seconds step. You can take screenshots and call the modeling part done.

Let's say next day is UV day.

- Unwrap one wheel. That's 2 minutes.
    - Delete the other 3. That's 0.5 seconds.
    - Duplicate the one UVed wheel 3 times. 2 seconds.

This whole thread can be summarized as : you are overthinking things by wanting to automate two steps that take a total amount of 4.5 seconds. Any fancy-automagical solution hypothetically letting you unwrap the 4 wheels at the same time would take longer than just duplicating that one original UVed wheel once it's done.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior
    lvl 666

vs.

Obscura
    hero character

Fight!

• Peppek1993
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior said:
    - Make one lowpoly wheel. That's 5 minutes or less.
    - Make 3 copies (as you already did). There is no need for these copies to be instances or anything like that. Just duplicate the original. That's 4 wheels, and that marks the end of the lowpoly modeling of the wheels. That's it, a 2 seconds step. You can take screenshots and call the modeling part done.

Let's say next day is UV day.

- Unwrap one wheel. That's 2 minutes.
    - Delete the other 3. That's 0.5 seconds.
    - Duplicate the one UVed wheel 3 times. 2 seconds.

This whole thread can be summarized as : you are overthinking things by wanting to automate two steps that take a total amount of 4.5 seconds. Any fancy-automagical solution hypothetically letting you unwrap the 4 wheels at the same time would take longer than just duplicating that one original UVed wheel once it's done.

Yeah, that's what I went with and that's what seems to be a much better and logical solution than unwrapping things in the middle of modeling

Thanks!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's basically what Obscura recommended. Except the additional optimization of only sculpting as much mesh as needed. No need to sculpt four wheels if you're going to toss out three in the retopo step.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think it's a matter of logic -- just preference. For a beginner it probably is more simple to stick with a step-by-step approach for sure. But once you are more comfortable, you may find lots of situations where taking care of the UV's up front when possible saves you some time. For me, the benefit also includes the fact that then unwrapping everything isn't such a big step if some of it's already taken care of. Makes me feel like I'm so clever, which boost the motivation.