Home Technical Talk

[3ds Max] Can I Flip UV's without Inverting Normals?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Dubious_Fellow polycounter lvl 7
Hi, I have two identical objects facing each other. Can I flip the UV's of one and stack on top of the other without it inverting its normals?:

-thanks!

Replies

• Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    The normals of the UVs will be inverted. The mesh normals usually won't. If normal and bump maps are displayed correctly depends on the renderer or real time engine used.
  • Dubious_Fellow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren said:
    ...depends on the renderer or real time engine used.
    Its going into UE4.

EDIT: *Throws down Rare Candy in the hope of attracting a wild Chad*
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Never used Unreal, but I don't see why it shouldn't be able to deal with mirrored UVs. Are you having any problems?
  • Dubious_Fellow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren said:
    Never used Unreal, but I don't see why it shouldn't be able to deal with mirrored UVs. Are you having any problems?
    I am still a little confused. If I understand correctly, you can't "flip and stack" because the tangents would be reversed on the flipped UV's: concave normal details would become convex and vice-versa (regardless of engine)?

-So the answer is 'no'?

EDIT: I'll be using Painter to create the normal map.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it is still a problem with only certain pieces of software not exporting the tangents and binormals correctly. I don't bake in 3dsmax any more, I use substance and I haven't run into in a while, but then again I don't mirror UV's as much as I used to. Personally I wouldn't use 3dsmax to bake anything, RTT is broken and bugged so bad it's unusable, plus it doesn't output half of the maps that I actually need.
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    "concave normal details would become convex and vice-versa (regardless of engine)? "

In theory, yes. But since that's easily fixed by identifying the flipped UVs and inverting the normals in engine that usually isn't a problem anymore. To be safe, you should just bake the unflipped, unstacked normals though, so move the other UVs one tile over or delete them while baking. And using an aligned renderer and engine like Mark suggested is definitely a good idea.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It works fine in ue4 
  • gvii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gvii polycounter lvl 10
    If it's for a normal map bake, I usually flip the UV's to match, stack em, then keep properly oriented shells in the 0,1 space and offset the rest.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    That is the correct way to do it.  You risk subtle artefacts at seams if you bake to the flipped shells