Home Technical Talk

Google Earth 3D Environment?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Haytch polycounter lvl 9
Hey all, I'm currently working on a few projects at work which I can't update my portfolio with for at least another year to 3 years, and I feel a lot of it was outdated so i've deleted a lot of old material,

My aim is to create an entire City through modularity (probably going to take about a year anyway) in my spare time, So far i'm having a bit of fun with a few ideas, however. 

To block out the entire city of lets say, new york, would take a very long time, So instead I wondered if there was a way to grab the 3d Environment from Google earth and Use that as a placeholder to replace with my blockout pieces, that way I can speed up the process of blocking out the environment before starting to work on the more detailed assets that'll eventually go in, This way I can also get a feel for scale & time.

P.S

I've also seen something online about 3dripper or something similar but it doesn't seem to work with google earth pro. so that's an unfortunate route I can't take.

Kind Regards.

Replies

• Animas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Animas polycounter lvl 6
    A quick search on your topic gave a thread from 2015, thou you might still wanna give it a try, maybe itll work.
    They say that google earth 6.2 and 3D Ripper 1.8 seem to work, so you might give those a try, the building will be older, but since its just for blockup, I suppose that could work. Haven't tested this myself thou.
  • Octo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octo polycounter lvl 18
    You can try www.openstreetmap.org to export city layout and building information.
    I don't know what software you are using, but Houdini has a tool to import those .osm files.