Home Technical Talk

Normal Map Baking Error? what did i do wrong?

Offline / Send Message
Pinned

As you can see the edge when I bake normal map ( high mesh from Zbrush) is wrong. Can anyone tell me what can I do to make it disappear.
I need some tip for perfect normal map baking in Substance Painter. Thanks all

Replies

• jakemoyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakemoyo polycounter lvl 6
    Dawg, Go read the Normal baking sticky at the top of this board. Read it once a day till you get it. That's what i had to do. 
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 6
    first: i would let the others know what does your high/low poly looks like.
    second: i would let them know in what program you are baking.
    :)
    maybe in your lowpoly there is a single hard edge and in your highpoly there is not a hard edge but a beveld one?
  • Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    @overmind19597
    I need to know whether or not you used a cage to bake the normals, and need to see your UV map layout, the baked normal map, and what the model looks like without normals applied to diagnose this.
    Gimme dat and I feex :)

Here are some general pointers. I think your problem is one or both of the first two:
    -You usually need a cage to get a perfect bake of an edge. Make sure the cage is closed and lines up nicely between the lowpoly and highpoly
    -If you have smoothing group changes (hard edges) on the lowpoly, you need to split your UV maps there as well.
    -Normal maps have a limited amount of pixels to work with. If you don't give a UV shell sufficient pixels to work with, there won't be enough space on the normal map to store the data of the highpoly, and the shading of your lowpoly will shine through.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

what you see there is the result of a 90 degree angle in your low res with split UVs and hard normals. (which is correct in 90% of cases) 

You either need more geometry in your low poly or to look at it from further away. 

It'll probably look better if you bake with fully averaged normals but that only works if you're not Lodding.  Baking with a cage is basically the same deal and tbh I generally advise against it on non-organic objects.