Home Technical Talk

How much time it takes to build a whole apartment?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hassan polycounter lvl 2
Hey guys, I'd like to take your opinion about how much time -estimated-  it should take to build a whole 1 floor apartment, with all its furniture and details of walls and floor to be modeled? 

Replies

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    well it depends i all I can really say,

Are you doing this for a mobile game or a standard game or one of those fancy arch viz projects?

What's the architectural style of the apartment? (Minimalist furniture tend to be really simple, naturally)?

I think it's more efficient to just slap a texture (or use a plugin like floor generator if you really need it to be geometry) than modelling them by hand so I can't imagine that taking long to model
  • Hassan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hassan polycounter lvl 2
    fdfxd2 said:
    well it depends i all I can really say,

Are you doing this for a mobile game or a standard game or one of those fancy arch viz projects?

What's the architectural style of the apartment? (Minimalist furniture tend to be really simple, naturally)?

I think it's more efficient to just slap a texture (or use a plugin like floor generator if you really need it to be geometry) than modelling them by hand so I can't imagine that taking long to model
    It is an architectural VR project, using samsung gear, and not that simple look of furniture, just sufficient for any person to buy in their house 
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    everything from 1 week to 5 month.
    could you post a example image. would be easier to estimate.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2-4 hours per prop or product. 2 days for the room. 1-2 weeks to integrate and bugtest.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    If you haven't done any of this before times it by 3. 

Assuming you're as dumb as me. :)

Will save yourslef some time and headache by doing a training run with simplified version of the project first.  Even if this takes a week -- if it's your first time it will help you find a lot of problems in your workflow, solve them, and then you will have easier time focusing on the important parts when doing the final work.
  • Hassan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hassan polycounter lvl 2
    2-4 hours per prop or product. 2 days for the room. 1-2 weeks to integrate and bugtest.
    just 2 days for a whole detailed room from modeling to importing in unity(after texturing)?? something like this for instance ? 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Strip away all the furniture, curtains, etc. Yes, 2 days for the floor + walls + window + trims. And that's being liberal.

Then add 2-4 hours per furniture item. Books etc can come from prop libraries too.