Home Technical Talk

Which software should i be learning for hard surface modeling in games?

N_GONE
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
N_GONE polycounter lvl 5
I'm learning to be a character artist for games and wanted to know what the industry standard is because i see some using zbrush and some using maya or 3ds max? thanks.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Yep. 

Either of the autodesk programs will do. Seems like dedicated hard surface people tend to lean towards 3dsmax, but that's just the impression I get from these forums alone. Maya has better tools for rigging and animation.

Look up Michael Pavlovich on youtube to get up to speed with zbrush. You can do hard surface in there as well, but to me, the hard surface workflow seems to require an alien brain or something. Seems powerful, but not intuitive at all to me.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    For hard surface 3DS Max would be the standard, hands down.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Except that most studios use Maya as their standard 3d package and don't want to buy licenses for max on top of it.

Max is better but  learn maya just in case. 
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    i would check out which software the Studios around you are using.
    but with max or maya you will be save.
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    Blender will take them all over in the future, so might as well learn that.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    Except that most studios use Maya as their standard 3d package and don't want to buy licenses for max on top of it.

Max is better but  learn maya just in case. 
    As far as I'm aware, the industry is fairly split between the two. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a studio that uses Max, and given a choice I'd never work somewhere in which I'd be doing loads of hard surface modeling in Maya of all things.

jRocket said:

I'd bet money that it won't. And staking your career on the direction you hope things will go in the future is a terrible idea regardless.
  • Linko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    Don't forget Blender, it could become the new Standard in the near future with the 2.8 so it is worth learning it in depth and it already starts to be used in AAA games like those by Epic Games and Blizzard (but mostly by independent external studios that do their skins and special events updates) and it is very popular in indie game studios (it is where you have the most chance to find a job). The only downside is his FBX support that can give issues with complex rigging but the new standard will be glTF 2.0 and Godot game engine with his community growing exponentially fully supports it already.
    The 2.8 viewport looks like this, it will be basically like modeling in Marmoset Toolbag or Unreal Engine:

There are very good hard surface modeling tutorials for Blender:
    A good set of tutorials to discover hard surface modeling with Blender:

Hard Surface Modeling techniques:

Car modeling and shading:

Hard surface modeling for games and PBR texturing in Substance Painter:
    https://youtu.be/UEeDBndWwys

Game Character creation, includes hard surface modeling for games (weapons and accessories):
    https://youtu.be/fhidSUb7A_w

Hard Surface combined with Blender sculpt and retopology:

How to use the Principled shader (Disney PBR):

How to use the Bevel shader:

And Normal Map dithering very useful for hard surface game assets:
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Yes Blender is amazing and free but no where near standard, Max and Maya are the industry standards right now for pure modeling. I believe that Max pulls ahead significantly in hard surface where as Maya pulls ahead in animation.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I am using Blender atm and cant believe an app with that quality can be free. I used Max for a long time. When I started opinions at the time were Max for games, Maya for animation. I reckon Oglu's advice is probably the best. Check out what software the studios you want to work for use. Even so switching software isnt that big a drama. Producing great work is.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket said:

I'd bet money that it won't. And staking your career on the direction you hope things will go in the future is a terrible idea regardless.

I feel that this point needs reinforcing.

Most studios - especially bigger ones - will not be integrating blender into their official pipeline because its open source and unsupported.  

Use of non standard applications in a studio comes with a number of problems (other team members not being able to edit your files for a start) so is usually discouraged. 
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Learn to be productive in multiple programs. If you have a good grasp of the fundamentals you can use any modeling software. 
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I'm frankly shocked there are still people who ardently feel that Max or Maya are the better of the two, for modelling.

Don't y'all know by now that they can do all the same stuff, just in different ways? Any meaningful difference was erased long ago. The main difference is just the method of working, and once you know how to be efficient, either software can do anything you could need it to. And this doesn't just apply to Max and Maya, but to almost any of the widespread modelling software.

In the mid-to-late 2000s, sure, Max was a better modelling software. But it's time to move on from that belief.
  • jakemoyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakemoyo polycounter lvl 6
    @Joopson I remember when i first started i kinda jumped around programs alot and formed strong opinions about which one was worse or better. After i took some time to just learn 3D in general, i moved from blender to maya and realized that its all the same with different names for tools and strengths/weaknesses for each. Turns out my dissatisfaction with "stupid new" programs was just my inexperience in 3D in general. If you put a carpenter in another carpenter's workshop he'd have to just spend a few moments figuring out what tools the guy has and where everything is and then he'd get to work making a masterpiece. 
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Endless debate. Learn process in whatever software. Switching isnt that hard. Blender is free and can compete with other softwares at least on modeling sides. IMO,  it's as good, and doesnt feel clunky. Im learning it actually. Check Pitiwazou stuff. And you can even start learning sculpting. Autodesk support ? Unless you are ubisoft or blizzard, you won't get any. Besides 15 years bugs still not beeing fixed. But still you'll be charged 2000€ a year per seat. If you re a freelance it's a no brainer. 
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    if you work alone everything is much easier in therms of Software tools you use. But as soon as you have to work in a studio pipeline its getting more complicated and you have to follow some rules. If the animation department is based on maya which it is most of the time you have to provide maya files. Early on dummies with fix proportions. They start to rig your model in blockout stage. They reference in the geo file later on. And you have to follow a lot of rules to not destroy the pipe. If you start to use an other tool than maya you have to make sure that every evening your data is pipe ready. If an other artist have to pick up your work everything should work. If your Lead needs your file for a daily you have to provide him a maya file in 5min cause there is a skype call waiting. You wont get any help from co workers if you dont use the studio software.

We are a maya based studio but in some cases we have clients with an max pipeline. That means we have to bring over the data at a certain point and do the finishing tasks in max. For example  normalmap baking cause maya does have a diffrent tangent space. We have to make sure we deliver clean smoothing groups. We have to make sure all material IDs are set. All dummy objects are in the scene. And there is a way of no return to maya. All feedback has to be done in max. In some cases we dont use maya at all cause its faster to work from the beginning in max.

If you model just one isolated asset do what ever you want. But as soon as you have to work in a team make sure you use the tool all other in the pipe are using. Or have a good plan what you are doing to not break the pipeline.

I worked in a lot of diffent pipelines and its no fun in the beginning to work with a new modeling software. But after a while its standard to work in all kind of tools. 
  • gandhics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gandhics polycounter lvl 8
    3dsMax.
    Does Maya can do Shell nowdays?
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    yes extrude face --> thikness
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    ADSK for an industry career, if that's an end goal?!

....and conversely on the periphery, just evaluate what's available out of the box, no biggie! Because nowadays most commercial packages are released with various end user licencing options which comes in handy especially when shopping around searching for 'THE' right fit prior too committing towards a particular suite or more succinctly shelling out doh.

(Oh! BTW a scenario Blender will generally win hands down :-) )
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @oglu makes a great point. Doesn't really matter what your prefer, you've got to be compatible with the team, whichever one it is you are or want to be part of.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson said:
    I'm frankly shocked there are still people who ardently feel that Max or Maya are the better of the two, for modelling.

Don't y'all know by now that they can do all the same stuff, just in different ways? Any meaningful difference was erased long ago. The main difference is just the method of working, and once you know how to be efficient, either software can do anything you could need it to. And this doesn't just apply to Max and Maya, but to almost any of the widespread modelling software.

In the mid-to-late 2000s, sure, Max was a better modelling software. But it's time to move on from that belief.
    Certainly you can make most things in either. The problem is how quickly you can do it.
    I've practiced making the same model in multiple software over and over until I could seamlessly move through each step needed without error or inefficient choices in each software, and timed myself doing it.
    Maya was by far the slowest.
    This was back in, I think, 2016.
    For anyone wondering, Modo and Blender were neck-and-neck as the fastest. Blender edged out Modo by a bit, but knowing what I do about them both I'm certain Blender would have fallen well behind on a more complex model, due to the weird hacks needed to get around certain tasks.
    I didn't test Max because I had no license for it and couldn't afford it anyway, thus making it not an option for me. I've used it before, but my experience is limited.
    But I've been given to understand that it's similar enough to Modo, and I can't understate just how slow Maya was, despite my being very familiar with the software. It literally took around twice as long as the others to finish, even with aggressive use of marking menus.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Now, see, you're approaching the test wrong. There's no way you can learn all those softwares' workflows efficiently and thoroughly enough to do a test like that yourself. And there are too many variables. Maya may simply not work the way your brain expects it to work, so you're slower working in it.

And especially because you will undoubtedly pick a favorite subconsciously anyway, no matter how objective you think the test is.

Now, if you got a maya modelling expert, a max modelling expert, a modo modelling expert, and a blender modelling expert together, and did the test, it could be a little more informative, but even then, people have different flows, different styles, different strengths, and you'd need to do much more than one test to arrive at any meaningful conclusions.

It's like seeing what kind of baseball bat is better. You'd have to do tons of tests, with different batters, different balls, and hundreds of hits, to prove anything.

If I had to bet, software would come up pretty damn even, with modo at the top only by a bit.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guy's who have been modeling for several years or more : when you are working, are you usually going as fast as you can? I mean there is a time when you sit and plan, and times when you know what you are doing and just got to do the grunt work, but certainly with any model you regularly come to stops where you got to take some time to consider things, make a change, back pedal or try something new, right? And so, point being, this reality probably makes any workflow differences between programs negligible, right?

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me, its max because of splines and the modifier stack.

So for example I want to create a picture frame. In max I create a rectangle spline, create a profile shape and sweep it over the rectangle. Quick, simple mesh and UV's. At any point I can edit the splines in either and the final mesh object updates. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djaa4WcR7aQ

Or using a spline and the lathe modifier. Again I'm controlling a complex shape with a lot of poly with just a few knots in a spline.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD0P5O8ai2U

Does blender have anything like those tools? 
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    I feel like this thread is devolving a bit from the main point of just what program would be considered standard and becoming a classic software battle lol. Also you can clearly see now why this is asked so much. Because each software has its strengths and weaknesses. Each software can fit a different flow of user and utilizes different tools or methods. Each software has its own user base and those willing to defend it. After all a tool is a tool and thats all these are. Changing over from one software to another is not difficult and only takes about a week if that.

Are they all powerful? Yes.

Are they all standard? No, I'd say Autodesk Maya or Max are going to be the front runners there, due to being supported in the mainstream, entitlement to support for their products as well as plain old history. Companies have put money into R&D on those software for decades.

Are they all great? Yea! I'd say so each one is like a different gem in its own right.

Which one to learn first? I believe you've got enough info to kind of gauge that now and make your choice. :)

Edit: @Mark Dygert Blender does have those. Worth a look see if you get the time. :)
  • lurked
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lurked polycounter lvl 10
    As a character artist and Max user who's been working in a Maya pipeline on a major AAA franchise for the last 10 years, I would suggest start with and master Maya + Zbrush for your art before exploring anything else.  Since you're aiming for characters, remember that the bulk of all studios use Maya for their animation pipeline so you will need to be fairly proficient with it.  Once you are comfortable you can begin exploring other modeling packages, but until then keep it simple for yourself with Maya + Zbrush.
  • Linko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    Mark Dygert: of course Blender does that, those are basic features, I don't think you will miss any modeling tool of 3ds max in Blender: extrude along a curve with a profile and curve spin. There is several videos on how to create non-destructive models with Blender's modifiers here and this tutorial. And the UV mapping along a shape.

• adeebalm
  • Linko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    adeebalm: any tool that supports boolean modifiers can do that and preferably a bevel shader too (Maya the industry standard still doesn't supports any important modifiers, it will rely on the history, this will at a point becomes unstable). Also Blender has Box Cutter:

• Br0ken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Br0ken polycounter lvl 3
    Hard truth is that almost all studios rely on Maya + Zbrush for characters, so I don't understand why people here advice to learn Blender for this type of work.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko said:
    Mark Dygert: of course Blender does that, those are basic features, I don't think you will miss any modeling tool of 3ds max in Blender: extrude along a curve with a profile and curve spin. There is several videos on how to create non-destructive models with Blender's modifiers here and this tutorial. And the UV mapping along a shape.

I'm going to go over those in more detail this weekend when I have more time. Just glancing over them they look fairly similar to the way I'm working in max but not quite there. I'll have to go over them in more depth and do some more trail and error. I'll probably start new thread about it, instead of derailing this one further ;) 

Thanks for the links!
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    Br0ken said:
    Hard truth is that almost all studios rely on Maya + Zbrush for characters, so I don't understand why people here advice to learn Blender for this type of work.

Why it has to be same app for modelers and animators?Nowdays you can easilly transfer meshes via fbx, so modeler can use preferred app for modeling and animator can then animate the fbx file in maya. 

I have been using max and maya while being a student because its a standard but once I got hired, I had to switch to modo as my primary modeling app and it feels a lot faster compared to max. If one day I decide to learn a new modeling app then it probably will be a blender. 
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because a studio is a business that buys software on studio licenses and employs people to support that software and its pipeline integration (not everyone uses unreal or unity) - adding a single seat of modo to a maya studio will cost vastly more than buying a license and potentially cause no end of ballache - Eg.  What if someone else needs to edit your modo model because you're off sick or left to work somewhere else? 

Simply put - you don't get to choose, the studio does and since they're almost all autodesk, you're best off learning those. 

• ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    poopipe said:
    Because a studio is a business that buys software on studio licenses and employs people to support that software and its pipeline integration (not everyone uses unreal or unity) - adding a single seat of modo to a maya studio will cost vastly more than buying a license and potentially cause no end of ballache - Eg.  What if someone else needs to edit your modo model because you're off sick or left to work somewhere else? 

Simply put - you don't get to choose, the studio does and since they're almost all autodesk, you're best off learning those. 

I mean there is no need of going with just maya for modellers and animators setup. Studio can decide to go with modo and maya combination instead. So every modeller will be using modo and maya for animators only. This way it is a lot cheaper especially if your studio doesnt have equal amount of animators and modellers. Usually there are a lot more modellers than animators. Also modo is very powerful and fast for modeling. If I am sick then another modeller can alter my files with his modo licence. Also you can edit fbx files to some extent.

but yeah proabaly its safer to learn max or maya for now but be prepared to learn new soft because some studios may ask you to like in my case.

• RS7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RS7 polycounter lvl 3
    You can look up for companies job applications and see what are their requirement. Often they say which software skill is required and make your decisions based on that. Maya is safe bet in my opinion. Max is commonly used as well. Blender, Houdini and C4D is rather a novelty in studio production when it comes to modeling.