Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Project 2018

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
jessica.bramwell polycounter lvl 5
I have decided to start a little project to make my portfolio have a really good piece. Currently it only has projects from Uni and I have just graduated a few months ago. They all needed extra work so instead, I decided to dedicate my time to a new project where I can push my limits and learn new skills while making an amazing folio piece. :) any feedback or tips are welcome! This forum tread will just be for posting my WIPs and progress and getting some feedback.

I have been working on it for a week (I work full time so I have to do it outside work hours). Below are some shots of the candles I have been working on today :)

Props Candles (Handpainted)

Candles in Marmoset for baking
I'll post some of the others I have tomorrow. 

Replies

• jessica.bramwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some work for today :) I made the hand painted texture for the candles. 

Here is the texture and UVs

Here is a shot for the greybox layout in UE4
    More work tomorrow :)
  • JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    The candles look nice but the wireframe on the uv´s look a little dense for such a small object, I might take a look at that :)
  • jessica.bramwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I thought that too. I smoothed them as the edges where very square on my low poly model. I have just reduced the poly count a fair bit :) Thank you for the advise! This is what I have now below. I may refine this more if I can. I pushed this lower, but it started to have issues. I will need to focus on refining it in detail to push this lower. I am going to delete the base off the candle in the middle as I forgot to do that, which will also help.

• MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    Wait...How many triangles do those candles have????!!!!!!!!!!  And the ao map is too intense in the texture, you should decrease it.
  • jessica.bramwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The 3 have 3474 tri's. I'm going for high renders not optimal settings. Its for high quality render pieces on my portfolio rather than game play. How low would you suggest they be pushed? 

I am also aiming for a more hand painted cartoony feel. Do you still suggest reducing the AO? I haven't completed the art bible yet so I guess its hard to grasp the feel I am going for, but this is the first time I have attempted this style so feedback is welcome :)
  • MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
     Its for high quality render pieces
    nononononono...Even at close distance that amount of polygons is insane. The silhouette of those candles just doesn´t justify that amount of triangles they have. They just look like cylinders with turbosmooth applied... Use some old-candle references.

I am also aiming for a more hand painted cartoony feel
    That ao intensity is just too much. Gather some references and study them to get the right colours.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    What did you make the candles in? If you did it in ZBrush, I'd suggest using ZRemesher, as it re makes the topology while keeping the silhouette. I agree the AO intensity should be dropped as well.

Did you use a reference when sculpting the candle? I'd suggest googling 'old candle' and checking out the candles there. You could definitely work on the silhouette of your candles to make them more interesting, especially if it's for a close up render. The melted sections look too flat and there looks to be too many straight undisturbed lines for such used candles. You'll also want to look into subsurface scattering for UE4 for the candles. Look forward to seeing the end product!
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    @jessica.bramwell    if , as a hiring manager, I saw obviously over-polyed un-optimized meshes in the portfolio of someone applying for game work, I'd dismiss it outright. Consider redoing this asset with a much more optimized approach, and work more on the materials, look into SSS for candles as well, they are a good candidate for it.
  • priderice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    priderice triangle
    As a highpoly it is fine, but you have to build a Low Poly and use Bakinging workflow.
    If you want to use your exsisting Candle, use the "Retopology" Workflow. 
    If your are Working with Maya check out this out:

Video/Channel: FlippedNormals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpDWta5O3n8
  • MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    priderice said:
    As a highpoly it is fine
    MMmmmm... I don´t think so. That is a cylinder to me. It needs some work on the silhouette . 
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    What did you make the candles in? If you did it in ZBrush, I'd suggest using ZRemesher, as it re makes the topology while keeping the silhouette. I agree the AO intensity should be dropped as well.

I made candles recently as well and did exactly this to get my low poly. Just use one or a combination of ZRemesher, Dynamesh and Decimation master. With these three you can crunch down to whatever amount of triangles you want for the low poly
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Whether the asset is optimized for games or not, you simply don't need more triangles than you need. Having more triangles that aren't defining silhouette is just wasted space. 

Having extra resolution for a better look means adding in extra loops to avoid showing jagged edges on the silhouette (and better animations with less texture stretching, etc). In non-deforming, static models, you should probably be able to use whatever the lowest output from zremesher or decimation master gives you, so long as you are getting the look you want. Of course, for a portfolio piece, is would probably be better to manually reptopo everything so you can showcase perfect UV layouts.

Check out the enviro art dumps from Naughty Dog. Only thing I was left wandering about that is how they handled UV's, as their modular enviro pieces looked like they came straight from decimation master. Maybe they just UV mastered it and jjammed it all together however it best fit. Perhaps the gains from careful UV packing wasn't significant enough to warrant the time of manually retopoing all of that stuff?
  • jessica.bramwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow everyone! Thank you all so much for you feedback :) This is exactly what I need to hear. I have only just finished uni and every time I tried to keep within poly count limits, my teacher would tell me not to worry about them as he wasn't marking on that. This is obviously causing me problems now, as I haven't learnt to optimise my models to an industry standard. I understand high to low poly workflow so I will start researching further into this to ensure I am working in the right direction. 

I am going to start over (seeing as I dont have much at the moment anyway) with all your feedback provided. 
  • jessica.bramwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
     Its for high quality render pieces
    nononononono...Even at close distance that amount of polygons is insane. The silhouette of those candles just doesn´t justify that amount of triangles they have. They just look like cylinders with turbosmooth applied... Use some old-candle references.

I am also aiming for a more hand painted cartoony feel
    That ao intensity is just too much. Gather some references and study them to get the right colours.

OK :D I will start over and redo them! Im going to do some research on how many polys I should be aiming for. Maybe I do need to just focus on optimising for game engine anyway. This will help my chances at a good workflow. I'm also look into AO and colour reference some more too.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Wow everyone! Thank you all so much for you feedback :) This is exactly what I need to hear. I have only just finished uni and every time I tried to keep within poly count limits, my teacher would tell me not to worry about them as he wasn't marking on that. This is obviously causing me problems now, as I haven't learnt to optimise my models to an industry standard. I understand high to low poly workflow so I will start researching further into this to ensure I am working in the right direction. 

I am going to start over (seeing as I dont have much at the moment anyway) with all your feedback provided. 

The best thing you could do is take a gander at the Polycount wiki. 

The teacher not grading you on model optimization is a big red flag. School can teach you a lot of junk/outdated information that puts you 5 years behind everyone else. 
  • jessica.bramwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Did you use a reference when sculpting the candle? I'd suggest googling 'old candle' and checking out the candles there. You could definitely work on the silhouette of your candles to make them more interesting, especially if it's for a close up render. The melted sections look too flat and there looks to be too many straight undisturbed lines for such used candles. You'll also want to look into subsurface scattering for UE4 for the candles. Look forward to seeing the end product!
    I made the sculpt in zbrush and then continued to maya and retopo'ed them and baked them out. But I guess I just went overboard! I'm going to go back to zbrush and try to redo them. I did have references for the candles, but maybe I'm looking ones that are to plane. I will do more reference research and try to give them some personality. Awesome! I will research subsurface scattering for UE4. Thank you for suggesting that. 

PeterK said:
    @jessica.bramwell    if , as a hiring manager, I saw obviously over-polyed un-optimized meshes in the portfolio of someone applying for game work, I'd dismiss it outright. Consider redoing this asset with a much more optimized approach, and work more on the materials, look into SSS for candles as well, they are a good candidate for it.
    Thanks PeterK! Ok, I know what not to do now! I'm looking forward to working on getting this right :) I'll look into SSS and begin redoing them :D

priderice said:
    As a highpoly it is fine, but you have to build a Low Poly and use Bakinging workflow.
    If you want to use your exsisting Candle, use the "Retopology" Workflow. 
    If your are Working with Maya check out this out:

Video/Channel: FlippedNormals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpDWta5O3n8
    Thanks Priderice, I will be sure to check this out. 

alexk said:

I made candles recently as well and did exactly this to get my low poly. Just use one or a combination of ZRemesher, Dynamesh and Decimation master. With these three you can crunch down to whatever amount of triangles you want for the low poly
    Awesome Alex, thank you for the feedback :) 

Whether the asset is optimized for games or not, you simply don't need more triangles than you need. Having more triangles that aren't defining silhouette is just wasted space. 

Having extra resolution for a better look means adding in extra loops to avoid showing jagged edges on the silhouette (and better animations with less texture stretching, etc). In non-deforming, static models, you should probably be able to use whatever the lowest output from zremesher or decimation master gives you, so long as you are getting the look you want. Of course, for a portfolio piece, is would probably be better to manually reptopo everything so you can showcase perfect UV layouts.

Check out the enviro art dumps from Naughty Dog. Only thing I was left wandering about that is how they handled UV's, as their modular enviro pieces looked like they came straight from decimation master. Maybe they just UV mastered it and jjammed it all together however it best fit. Perhaps the gains from careful UV packing wasn't significant enough to warrant the time of manually retopoing all of that stuff?
    Hey Bigtimemaster, Thank you! I will check out the naughty dog reference. I also think from everyone's comments, redoing my models is the way to go! and optimising them :) I'm definitely glad I started this post. Its so refreshing to hear feedback like this to help me in the right direction. I think I will try and retopo again - as you said, I want to show case perfect UV's.

Great! I have some really good direct here from everyone. I'm going to start over! 

I hope everyone's having a lovely weekend :D
    Jess
  • jessica.bramwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I have been super sick (still am) and I have been trying to power on, little bits at a time. I have been trying to rest and work on this as much as possible (while working my job still and not taking days off :( )

Ok so I redid the candles. So my next question:

I have gotten the 3 candles down to 724 tris all together. I started with the most difficult of the 3 candles. I am going to redo the one on the left. I think I can optimise this one even more. Question is: What do you think a good amount of tris for these would be? Is this low enough? Or should I go lower. I don't think I can push the 2 on the right anymore without effecting the silhouette. 

Candle on the left 338 tris
    middle 202 tris
    right 184 tris

This is a shot of the bake. I have some little issues around the base I need to fix up. (This is in marmoset viewer, please ignore the material, this is just for the bake of the normal map) I haven't started the texturing again. 

This is my high poly mesh in Maya just so you can see what I was working from.

I also tried zremesher but it still kept my models at 3k. It was hard to get it any lower without causes issues/loosing details.
    I did a lot of research on candles in bed (seeing as there was nothing else to do) :)

Any suggestions are welcome. :)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    That's polycount is way better right there. But, you probably can do more. It has no animation, no joint to deform, no nothing. So, embrace triangle. Not everything has to be quad. Delete backfaces. Merge some verticies together when they won't make changes to silhouette. I bet you can cut tricount further by half easily.

Ps. Try using Zbrush Decimation to see what could be accomplished. It's probably not gonna look pretty , and that's totally ok.
  • jessica.bramwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have moved on from the candles for now. I will revisit them later.

I have moved onto the next asset I need to make - the table. There will be a few tables in the scene but I have broken down the sections into smaller manageable chunks and this one is the starting table. 

Here is some work for today. I need to refine the details on the table top and add some more scuffs and marks with different brushes. This will be very easy to retopo. The legs on the table need to be rounded more too. 

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    The poly count is way better. Regarding your question about how many polygons would be low enough, that really just depends on the game. If it's for a portfolio, don't be afraid to go a little higher than usual. 700 tris for all 3 candles should be fine, and your candles look great!
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    If your question is, "what is a good poly count?", I think you might be missing the point. 

Whether you are working from reference or your own design, you have a visual goal, right? You know what the level of quality must be. So the question is, what is the most efficient way to meet that level of quality? Will it require 20k tri's, or can I achieve the same look with 2k tri's? Splitting my model into 5 different 4k maps might make hitting my quality level easier, but with some planning and experimentation, could I do it all with just one or two materials? If you put some amount of restriction on yourself like this, it will force you to get better at important work like your UV layouts, and overall planning.

Of course, to get a ballpark estimate of what kind of resources are needed to create current gen assets, try downloading free content like Paragon from Epic Games or reviewing art dumps and breakdowns on artstation. So if you see some work done by a professional that is similar to yours, strive to do your work with the same amount of resources, or less if you can! And better quality while you're at it!

Just focus on efficiency. When you know how to work with efficiency, then you can tailor your workflow to meet any demands.
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    jessica.bramwell said:

The fact that the majority of this thread has been about candles is concerning - I wouldn't get bogged down in the details of something thats so insignificant when you have an entire scene.

- You should be focused on refining the blockout shapes, creating a pleasing a composition, and blockout out first pass lighting. 
    - Having nice candles wont matter if the scene looks like garbage. So don't get too caught up in all the comments about candles... big picture thinking will help you more. Macro read over micro read. 
  • jessica.bramwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If your question is, "what is a good poly count?", I think you might be missing the point. 

Whether you are working from reference or your own design, you have a visual goal, right? You know what the level of quality must be. So the question is, what is the most efficient way to meet that level of quality? Will it require 20k tri's, or can I achieve the same look with 2k tri's? Splitting my model into 5 different 4k maps might make hitting my quality level easier, but with some planning and experimentation, could I do it all with just one or two materials? If you put some amount of restriction on yourself like this, it will force you to get better at important work like your UV layouts, and overall planning.

Of course, to get a ballpark estimate of what kind of resources are needed to create current gen assets, try downloading free content like Paragon from Epic Games or reviewing art dumps and breakdowns on artstation. So if you see some work done by a professional that is similar to yours, strive to do your work with the same amount of resources, or less if you can! And better quality while you're at it!

Just focus on efficiency. When you know how to work with efficiency, then you can tailor your workflow to meet any demands.
    Awesome input! This is a fantastic idea. I never thought to download the free models that are so readily available and see how many those are. I will start doing that and breaking down how they have done them.

Thankyou :D that's probably the best feedback I've had on this question. I do agree maybe I am looking at it wrong. That's why people cannot give me a direct answer, because its not about a certain set of poly's its about the result for the best output. 

Thankyou! :D

shabba said:
    jessica.bramwell said:

The fact that the majority of this thread has been about candles is concerning - I wouldn't get bogged down in the details of something thats so insignificant when you have an entire scene.

- You should be focused on refining the blockout shapes, creating a pleasing a composition, and blockout out first pass lighting. 
    - Having nice candles wont matter if the scene looks like garbage. So don't get too caught up in all the comments about candles... big picture thinking will help you more. Macro read over micro read. 
    Thank you Shabba. I will definitely start to refine my blockout. I have always had an issue with having good lighting and that's where I had planned to push my knowledge. I know its not my strongest point. Then when posting here, everyone's directions where about the candles I had not moved on from that. I will start looking more into the pre-production stage again :)

I'll post my progress over the long weekend :)
  • MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh great job with those candles!! Now the are way better than before. They can be improved, of course: There are some parts with an excess of polygons and other parts which could have more. But in general you are going the right way.
    @BIGTIMEMASTER made an awesome point there!! At the start is a good idea to see assets from finished games. That gives a lot of information about how an asset should be. But of course this depends on the style you seek for. Is not the same a realistic finish than a stylized one. You should take that in mind.

• alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    What @BIGTIMEMASTER wrote is a great guideline. And figuring out how many triangles to have is just something you'll eventually learn in time and with work experience.

I'm sure you're sick of hearing about your candles but I'd like to show you the candles I made recently and to give you an idea of my thought process to hopefully help.

Like yours, these candles were done in Zbrush. However, I did not manually retopo like you with the exception of the plain tall one (700 tris) and the medium one next to it (1378 tri's) where I deleted extra edge loops around the body what were created by ZRemesher. I did not manually retopo because I don't have alot of free time and I have alot of props to make. Consider this though. How long did it take to manually repoto your candles? 30 mins? 60 mins? Just for one? It takes maybe 5 to 10 mins in Zbrush using ZRemesh and Decimation Master for one and then I can move on to unwrapping and baking right away. I wouldn't spend 30 mins manually doing the low poly of a candle (or any prop) when I can do that in 1/10 th of the time in Zbrush. There will be a time a place to do manual low poly meshes, but for things like a candle, where it has a sort of organic shape and can have really annoying geometry from the drips, I think personally, using ZRemesher and Decimation Master is the way to go.

My goal for these props is to use as many triangles to make it look very good but at the same time try not to have wasted triangles, which is how I ended up with these amounts using a combination of Zremesher and Decimation Master. I am not worried about whether this is exactly the triangle range in shipped titles, however, I wanted it to be at least reasonable and if I were to do this in a studio, I could easily decimate further. I also wanted to be able to rotate these candles and still have detail on almost all the sides. So for you, maybe you want to show that you can stick to whats typical of a shipped game, or maybe you are okay with adding a little bit extra triangles to make your props look extra nice.

There is one important thing to understand with triangle usage though and that's silhouette

You can crunch down to whatever triangle count you like but you should always look at your models silhouette and add triangles to help smooth it out or to help define a silhouette more. The red marking I put above are the places where I feel are too sharp looking and could use extra triangles to make it look smoother. And since we work in 3d, you will want to rotate your objects around and evaluate the silhouette in different angles and add or reduce as you see fit.

I know this may be alot of nit picking on a candle prop but the goal is to have a consistently great looking quality on all props, candles are small enough that you can easily and quickly iterate on them until they are great!