Home Career & Education

cover letter critique

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Simon_____ polycounter lvl 5
im a recent graduate and im applying for my first position as an art intern, i've not had to write a cover letter before so i imagine im pretty off with this.

this is the guide on the application  
"outline your motivation for an internship at Rare and any work experience you may have. Please also state where you heard about our internships." 

my cover letter

Dear Hiring Manager,

I am writing to express my interest for the Rare Internship which I discovered via your website.

I believe I would be a good fit for this position as I am a highly motivated and passionate 3d artist. My education has trained me in a range of skills, I am a natural team player who gives space to others and who goes out of his way to help work colleagues at every opportunity. I am constantly trying to improve my skill and am eager to learn new software tools and technologies

I would love to have a chance to build on my knowledge whilst working with the talented artists at Rare. I also value the way your games such as the innovative Sea of Thieves are created with the players experience and personal adventures are the focus, being able to contribute to experiences such as this would be fantastic

I am excited to work for a company like yours where gamers and passion are at the heart of its success. I look forward for the chance to prove myself to you and the position of an intern, thank you for your time 

Yours sincerely,

any feedback is greatly appreciated

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Explain why you like Rare games in particular besides Sea of Thieves.  They have larger history.

The expression of your talents and features are a good start, but can you show them examples of where those came from?  Are there games you've worked on already with smaller teams?  Any previous team work experience?
  • Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Explain why you like Rare games in particular besides Sea of Thieves.  They have larger history.

The expression of your talents and features are a good start, but can you show them examples of where those came from?  Are there games you've worked on already with smaller teams?  Any previous team work experience?
    ah ok thanks, should i include uni group projects? as i've not done any work in the industry yet all i've done is undergrad and masters
    ok changed things some more still working on making it readable and make more sense

Dear Hiring Manager,

I am writing to express my interest for the Rare Internship which I discovered via your website

I believe I would be a good fit for this position as I am a highly motivated and passionate 3d artist. My education has trained me in a range of skills, I am a natural team player who gives space to others and who goes out of his way to help work colleagues at every opportunity, I have worked in a small team multiple times during uni group projects where I was in charge of 3d art and setting/organising deadlines. I am constantly trying to improve my skill and am eager to learn new software tools and technologies

I would love to have a chance to build on my knowledge whilst working with the talented artists at Rare. I have always valued the way Rare games are made, games like Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong are great fun for all ages which ensures no one is left out of the experience, and Goldeneye 007 being one of the first games i played, i thank that game for starting my focus and dedication to the games industry. More recently I love the way your games innovative such, as Sea of Thieves and the fact are created with the players experience and personal adventures as the focus, having the opportunity to be able to contribute to experiences such as this would be fantastic

I am excited to work for a company like yours where gamers and passion are at the heart of its success. I look forward for the chance to prove myself to you and the position of an intern, thank you for your time

Yours sincerely,

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I would add your artstation link right above the yours sincerely with something like "you can find my portfolio right here: (link)" that way there is no having to hunt for links or attachments, its right there in their face, because that is 100% what they are going to consider you based on. good luck :)
  • Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would add your artstation link right above the yours sincerely with something like "you can find my portfolio right here: (link)" that way there is no having to hunt for links or attachments, its right there in their face, because that is 100% what they are going to consider you based on. good luck :)
    thanks, i think for their application they have a place to put the portfolio, cv and cover letter as separate links, do i still need to include it? 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, talk about your university projects.  That's what got me my Blizzard internship freshman year.

Do it because it's helpful, and highly unlikely to be harmful.

Also, you're an artist.  They want art.
  • Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, talk about your university projects.  That's what got me my Blizzard internship freshman year.

Do it because it's helpful, and highly unlikely to be harmful.

Also, you're an artist.  They want art.
    right ok i shall add mention the university projects, the art will be in the portfolio which they want separate 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's hard for me to is that I don't see a distinctive personality come through your cover letter.  This is your chance to show you're a particular someone compared to all the other hungry applicants; this cover letter could use your moore specific voice.

The expressions of "I want to work for your company, etc." seems pretty standard from eeveryone else.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

My revision

Dear Hiring Manager,

I am writing to express interest in your Internship program.

I am a highly motivated and passionate 3d artist, with education focusing on ______ skills. Throughout my studies, I've had the opportunity to develop myself as team player. Over the course of multiple university projects I was in charge of overall art direction and managing the team to meet our deadlines. In addition to this leadership experience, I strive daily to improve my technical and artistic skills, never turning down an opportunity to pick up a new software or workflow. Please review my art at : ________.

I appreciate the values Rare brings to the gaming world. Games like Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong are great fun for all ages. Anybody can dive into these games and have a good time. And, of course Goldeneye 007, being one of the first games i played, will always be one of my most memorable gaming experiences. I attribute that game with setting me on the path to 3d game art. 

Recently I've enjoyed some of Rare's newest innovation. Sea of Thieves is a game all about creating unique player experiences and adventures, and this is just the sort of thing gaming is all about for me.

The opportunity to work alongside the talented artist at Rare would benefit my growth as an artist immensely. I am excited to work for Rare, where gamers and passion for the gameplay experience are at the heart of its continued success.  Although I'm still quite green in the 3d world, I've worked hard and know that I'm ready to jump in with your talented professionals.

You got to write in your own voice of course, but notice the shift of tone by removing phrases like "I think" and prioritizing economy of words. Also, everybody is going to say, "im highly motivated, blah blah blah." So trim filler content like that down, and try to give real world examples that demonstrate you are these things. A guy walks into the room and says, "I'm an honest person!" Shall I just take their word for it? But he tells a brief story about a time he made a tough decision that benefited the team he worked for,, now I can make a solid judgement about his character. 

If you take a day or two to search the web for basic writing tips -- just like you would to pick up a new workflow -- it will help you a lot. Being able to express yourself exactly how you want with writing is an invaluable skill.

Remember, you are not a tiny peon groveling for a meal -- you are a skilled worker who really believes you can bring a lot to table. You've done your homework, and this is the team of experts you want to part of. You can be strong and confident without butting heads or stepping on toes -- and you should be. You've no doubt have a lot of experience and skill so you know what kind of work you can accomplish.