Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique of head sculpt please.

Stadius
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Stadius polycounter lvl 3
I have been trying to learn the anatomy of the head and neck.  This is my latest sculpt.  Before I subdivide I was hoping to get some feedback on the proportions and anatomy.  Thanks.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Decent start!  Sternocledoid muscle shouldn't be that thick coming into the clavicle.  It should be this thin-thick-thin transition.
  • Josef R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josef R polycounter lvl 5
    At a glance, some things are looking very wrong. Could you provide what you're using for reference?
  • Stadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did this while on an airplane.     I was using the 'visual body' app on my phone for reference.  So, not alot of reference to go by.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I'm not sure I've ever seen anybody with such a low jaw. The distance between the curve of the jaw and the ear seems extreme. I wonder if the entire lower face is just too pronounced. 

The area under the nose between the mouth should normally have a slight concavity viewed from the side. 
  • Josef R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josef R polycounter lvl 5
    I'm not familiar with the app, but I'd recommend starting over and using photo reference/3d scan reference in conjunction with 3d anatomical visualizations. Also be wary of your overall mesh density. It looks like you're getting too high in your subdivisions before adequately defining forms.
  • Stadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply.  As far as mesh density,  I tried to go as far as I could with a lower density mesh.   I found it difficult to get the detailed shapes in the ear, nose eye and mouth area without going to this remeshed resolution.  This was practice while captive in an airplane or airport so I wanted to get to some detailed features.   I think I have to work on proportions.   I feel like I'm hitting the main anatomical structures but it's still out of wack.
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Here you go something small for you next flight
    As you can see there are a lot of things either missing or not quite right so keep learning , get a hand hold or what ever mirror you can find and start learning

• Stadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for taking the time to post.
    Right now I'm reading Scott Spencer's 'Digital Sculpting Human Anatomy' and Stephen Peck's 'Atlas of the Human Anatomy for the Artist'.  And I use those as reference.  There is so much information in there and so much to learn.