Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Artist Portfolio Review

[Sorry if this is posted in the wrong board, if it is I'd appreciate if someone pointed me in the right direction]

I'm a recently-graduated 3D artist looking at doing some freelance work, and was hoping to get some feedback on my portfolio first - I'm primarily a 3D character artist looking at going into games art, although I also have some experience with low-poly environmental art and 2D design and animation. [EDIT: Note that while all models are mine, the designs for Project: ELLIE were designed by artist Victoria Khaw and used with her permission.]

I'd also appreciate some feedback on the presentation of the portfolio itself - at the moment my portfolio site (http://tobivdb.co.uk) is hosted through Weebly, and I'm unsure about the current layout and design of the site itself. I've recently started moving my work to ArtStation (https://www.artstation.com/graphicalglitch) but I'm not sure if I should bite the bullet, invest in an ArtStation pro subscription and build a new portfolio site through that for clarity and ease of use?

Any feedback appreciated, thanks! :)

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I like your character designs. I think the concepts themselves are worth building on top of.

As a portfolio applying for AAA work though, I think there's some issues. Texturing is the first concern. Even though it's a cartoon, just having flat colors isn't enough to demonstrate you fully understand materials. Especially with PBR being all the rage these days, you need to show you can hand paint realistic looking clothing, hair, wood, metal, skin, plastic etc.

The Goblin character stands out as being incredibly basic. There's no detail on the axe or his skirt. 

In regards to your last character, the model doesn't feel quite optimized. The first thing that came to my mind when I saw it was Toon Link, and in the Gamecube games, he only needed around 3,000 Triangles. 

Especially if you're looking to get a job making mobile games, or any platform with very light specs, it's very important to spend your polygons wisely. Only add as much as the silhouette needs.

Best advice is to find a studio you're really want to work for, find any artists who are working there, and do your best match to their portfolio to the same artistic degree. 

Also, stick to Artstation. You don't necessary need a Pro account if you don't want to. 

• graphicalglitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for your reply - I think texturing is definitely something I need to put some time into developing. Gonna focus on that and poly count for my next model, see if I can try and optimise those a bit better.