Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOCKHART SA HAMMER [WIP] [Looking for critiques]

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
htannerhartman polycounter lvl 5
I saw this concept on ArtStation and wanted to make a fully modular gun kit using this as my style guide and reference.
My plan is to model both concepts entirely and then build off of the modular idea with additional components.
The 2 concepts depict a Handgun and Rifle attachment, I plan on adding a sniper and LMG attachments as well.

Artist: Jonas Minnebo
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/azelinus

Replies

• htannerhartman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have started with the handle since that seems to be the only reused piece of the 2 concepts.

• htannerhartman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm making some progress. My workflow usually consists of starting the low poly like this. I have floaters to help me visualize what the end product will look like. 

• htannerhartman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting all the detail looking the way I want. Having a lot of fun with it so far and not running into any issues. Although, i predict to have a lot of issues with creating the high poly. Floaters will help keep the geo clean but since I do not have ZBrush, hand placing all the supporting edge loops will prove to be difficult. If anyone has any ideas that will help make the smoothing process go more, ahem, "smoothly", then I would appreciate it!

• htannerhartman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some more progress. Increased the definition of the floaters, shortened and added extra detail to the barrel, added safety switch and detail to the butt of the gun. Still figuring out what to do with the chamber. I do like the hexagonal shape better, but I've been told that traditional bullets doesn't make sense with this technology. I agree, but I don't like the idea of turning into a battery pack and I like the western fantasy of individual chambers. I was thinking of adding individual power cells that are manually inserted, still giving the gun the chambers but with something that makes more sense with the rest of the concept. Thoughts?

• htannerhartman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still progressing through. Since the concept only shows the gun from 1 angle I am taking artistic liberty on the connections. Right now they are still block-out generalizations, I will be adding more detail in time. If anyone has some reference material for plugs, connectors, etc. that would be helpful. I'm having trouble finding reference myself since I dont know exactly what these parts are called. Please let me know what you think! Any and all critiques would be more than helpful!

Ortho:

Ortho Wireframe:

Front:

Front Separated:

Back:

Back Separated: