Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Doom-esque demon for portfolio [WIP - looking for feedback]

FittedMushroom
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
FittedMushroom polycounter lvl 2

Basically was just looking for feedback on a sculpt I wanted to put into my portfolio.
Any help or feedback is appreciated (just really looking to make my character pop a bit more)

Thank you :)

Replies

• MarcoAntonio
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    I am not the most appropriate person to talk since I am not a character artist but there are some things that in my opinion could be improved.
    For example, the knees are too thin and those feet are over distorted. I don´t know If these demon would be able to run properly.

Another problem are the hands. They are way too big compared to the rest of the arm. I am not quite sure if it would be able to attack properly. The hand may weigh too much and the muscles are not big enough.

Another problem is the head. What are those things? Do they have a purpose?

Futhermore, I see that you already made some surface details (Which are awesome by the way) but the silhouette is not that good. You should work more on it before going any further.
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    The silhouette of the thing reads like one of those "creatures from the black lagoon" monsters from ancient horror movies. If it is to be a Doom inspired monster, I'd consider filling out the silhouette by adding in some mech components -- something like the Revenant. 
  • FittedMushroom
    Offline / Send Message
    tBIGTIMEMASTER said:
    The silhouette of the thing reads like one of those "creatures from the black lagoon" monsters from ancient horror movies. If it is to be a Doom inspired monster, I'd consider filling out the silhouette by adding in some mech components -- something like the Revenant. 
    I don't necessarily need it to be Doom inspired I, and kind of like the idea of it being like an old horror movie monster. Regardless though I think mech components would make the model look pretty darn cool.
  • FittedMushroom
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not the most appropriate person to talk since I am not a character artist but there are some things that in my opinion could be improved.
    For example, the knees are too thin and those feet are over distorted. I don´t know If these demon would be able to run properly.

Another problem are the hands. They are way too big compared to the rest of the arm. I am not quite sure if it would be able to attack properly. The hand may weigh too much and the muscles are not big enough.

Another problem is the head. What are those things? Do they have a purpose?

Futhermore, I see that you already made some surface details (Which are awesome by the way) but the silhouette is not that good. You should work more on it before going any further.
    Here's an update based on your feedback. I have kept the  the head components with the holes but have altered the shape to mirror a popes hat (still needs adjusting thought it would be a cool idea based on it being a demon however) and have also given it horns and made it look like it would be more speedy. Thanks again for the feedback :)

• Shuma
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuma polycounter lvl 9
    Even if it's a demon it's nice to respect some basic anatomy, and bio-mecanics. For now, IMHO your demon lack some kind of bone structure on his hips and muscle are a little bit all over the place, without origin nor insertion, especially on the legs. 
    From the side view it looks like it fall forward.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I don't get the idea thrust of the head.  It's clear you want this character to be a nimble melee NPC, but what the head does to facilitate this doesn't make sense to me.

The closest Idea I get is that you got inspired by  a triceratop's head and wanted to emulate that same bony structure, with horns.  You definitely have the  eyeless Alien look going on, but I am unure of what the hole-filleed membrane is that is flaring out.  I'd spend a little more time fleshing it out.
  • MarcoAntonio
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    Much better but the head still doesn't convince me. Furthermore, as @Shuma said, you should work more on the anatomy. Some tendons don´t make sense and the silhouette, in spite of the fact it has some improvement, still needs more refinement. If you see the demon from the front it looks like a fast melee creature, but if you look it from the side, it looks a bit fat. Another problem are the claws from the feet. They look a bit straight. I think the should be a lot more curved, just like a eagle claws. That would make it look more aggressive. But that is just a personal preference.