Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hard surface prop critique. Drill

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
3dcaster polycounter lvl 4

Hi All,

I am close to finishing a model using lots of help from the forum.
https://sketchfab.com/models/083b67e592664d3c986113ef13b09bea

Could you please give me a feedback?
There was tons of work improving my workflow.
Questions is, Is it a good enough piece for portfolio of an aspiring Enviro/Prop artist in game idustry?

thanks!

Replies

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Wear and tear seems to be random
  • CrackRockSteady
    It looks like a good start, the texturing could use some work though.  Your model/bake look good as far as I can tell, I only looked at the Artstation images though, not the sketchfab viewer.

It would be helpful for critique if you can post wireframe renders of your models and texture flats in the thread as well.

Are you using any reference to help you with the textures?  It's easier to give an accurate critique if we have a better understanding of what you intend for this to look like.

Try to find some good, high-res photos of cordless drills or tools with similar materials and then work toward matching each material one at a time.

Something like this:  

Then you can also pick and choose details from your reference images that you think are cool and add some similar details to yours to give it more character.  Notice how dirt and dust tend to settle in crevices and insets.  The silver part on the front has a thin layer on top that's starting to chip and peel away along some of the exposed edges.  The plastic grip is wearing/peeling away almost in layers.

There's a lot of rather random dirt and damage too, but you should mix that with realistically placed wear specific to the tool.

Work on trying to add a lot more different "layers" of wear to give it a more naturally aged look as well.  At the moment your drill sort of looks like it's almost brand new but someone with greasy hands used it once.  (Unless that is the look you're shooting for)
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Take a look at Andrew Maximov's Gun Breakdown
    https://artisaverb.info/PBT.html

The most important details are pushed in the roughness and normal maps. The diffuse often looks very simple in comparison.

Also, looking at the model viewer, I'm not sure why the black rubber/plastic grip is so wet. That feels like a safety hazard for a tool that is suppose to be electric.

• 3dcaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi. Thanks all for the reply.

My goals are:

-*- Clean wireframe, no artifacts on maps.
     is to create clean model, A quality product that i can show with without the fear to my potential employer. 

-*- Get much better with High Poly in Zbrush.
    create a prop using techniques suggested to me by @Zi0 and presented in full by course of Simon Fuch ( military radio https://gumroad.com/simonfuchs).  

-*- Realistic
    Lastly, create a prop that will be as close to the original drill as possible. The main goal was to create a clean model though.

@CrackRockSteady
    I am posting my maps below however i enabled texture inspection in sketchfab model. 
    AO
    Albedo
    Roughness
    NM
    Wireframe

As a reference i am using my own drill. 
    It is not roughted up though. So i had to came up with the oil/grease idea because i wanted to play with light difusion and specularity.  like below:

Thanks for that ref. Now i know where to go with more weared look. I think i will texture it again soon.

@JordanW
    Thank you! Andrew Maximov is amazin artist. He is one of my favorites!
    The weatness is actually an oil like substance. 

Thank you guys!!
    I though my model is so crapy that people do not ever bother answering:)

• 3dcaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basically i guess i wanted to create a "grown up" model avoiding nub mistakes:) Something better than my other portfolio props.