Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for some hardcore Environment critique and feedback

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
jlvwm polycounter lvl 3
Greetings,

Looking for some feedback on this project. I, like others, am trying to get a job in the game industry and I seem to get close but keep getting rejected - either as a finalist or pass the initial review but not the final review by the Art director. The only things I seem to be able to get pickup for are non-salary profit share games. Not trying to bash that business model or companies, and understand those have their merit as well but those have there financial limits. Hard to make 3D models if you can't keep the power on or pay for the licenses for your software. .

But back to the point all critiques are welcomed! If its harsh so be it...I rather fix the issues and get better. Thanks in advance!

Oak Island 2120 is an unreleased game demo level. Software: Unreal 4, Substance painter, Simplygon and UV layout.

Replies

• jStins
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    I think your work looks good and it shows technical proficiency. The thing that stands out to me on the Oak Island piece is that it feels too symmetrical. You have these elements with nice accent colors, but they are all evenly distributed throughout the space, which distracts from the focal point imo. I'd try applying the 80-20 rule with some of those accents and use them to create a layer of asymmetry in an otherwise symmetrically designed environment.

As a quick aside, I might remove the WIP / coming soon placeholders from the landing page on your website. Good luck with the job hunt, be persistent and you'll get there. 
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I'm not an industry professional or an environment artist, so take this with a handful of salt, but one thing I see a lot in current games is asymmetric environments (as mentioned) and tons of atmosphere. It seems the popular look right now is high contrast, detail-overkill (I think you got that), and very busy scenes. This is just my observations, but maybe try adding more atmospheric noise and more dynamic lighting to the scene and see what that does?

And, as mentioned, I thiink concentrating the details in a way so that you can lead the eye where you want is as important as having plenty of interesting things to look at. If everything is symmetrical, my eye just kind of ignores it and moves forward. Symmetry = assumption that this is just filler content and gamer should press forward.
  • ChrisFraser
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisFraser polycounter lvl 5
    Modelling and texturing looks good.

From a design perspective, I'm not sure why the builders of this hallway/spaceship/tunnel/whatever decided to place massive tubes that go along the floor from one side of the hall to the other. Seems like a bit of a safety hazard for walkers by.   :p

Something that might break up the symmetrical nature of the floor itself would be to still have the tubes, but have them set into the floor, with see through grates over them or something like that. Then they can poke up on either end and join into the walls or something. That was just the first thing that stuck out to me when I looked through the shots. 
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    You've obviously got a grasp on everything. Seeing people post work like this and say they're having trouble getting a job always freaks me out ;)

What sort of places are you applying at? If you're applying at companies which release mobile games, or games which take place in a forest, something like your hard surface environments might not be considered very useful to them. Maybe start creating work specifically aimed at local studios? Do you have an artstation with more work in it?
  • jlvwm
    Offline / Send Message
    jlvwm polycounter lvl 3
    @jStins Thank you for the feedback I will look to breakup the symmetry. Also a BIG thanks for looking at my website. I am still working on it but I will remove those WIP post soon.
  • jlvwm
    Offline / Send Message
    jlvwm polycounter lvl 3
    @BIGTIMEMASTER Thanks for the feedback. I will work on the symmetry in the level. I have some atmosphere noise (stale mist you find in tunnels) and dust affects but I will look at making them pop more. 
  • jlvwm
    Offline / Send Message
    jlvwm polycounter lvl 3
    @ChrisFraser Thank you for the feedback and the laughter - I noticed the tubes are like that in scifi but honestly never said now that's a tripping hazard...but now I will, haha. Like I said to the others fixing that symmetry and I like the idea of more tubes on the floor through the grates.
  • jlvwm
    Offline / Send Message
    jlvwm polycounter lvl 3
    @Ashervisalis I have applied to a few AAA studios - TurtleRock, Sledgehammer games, Highmoon Studios, etc. Places where my style would fit and can do cartoon style but I don't have anything worthy of posting yet...(workign on some stuff). I had a couple of phone interviews and some conversations via email with recruiters. But in the end was passed over.

I am working on Artstation getting more more posted on there. I have a website. I am going to post the link to those on here. But I see where your going with I need more exposure, and I agree. Thanks for the posting some ideas and helping me with this!