Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Warcraft Inspired Orc

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Fodenn polycounter lvl 2
Hey guys, first post here !

I'm currently working on an Orc character mainly inspired by Warcraft.
I'm still quite new to Zbrush, and i've been focusing mainly on organical shapes until now. Please feel free to give a maximum of crititcs and feedbacks, especially on the armor which is still very rough in some part.

I will add in a near future boots, refine the belt, add fur in a later stage...

I'm looking forward for your feedbacks, and I hope you found this interesting in some way.

Cheers !

Replies

• Fodenn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fodenn polycounter lvl 2
    Quick Update : Blockout of the shoes and redesign of the belt + some other small adjustment.

Don't hesitate to give your opinion on those.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What sort of orc is he supposed to be, becaue right now it's feeling generic.
  • Lurcisia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lurcisia greentooth
    For someone being quite new to Zbrush this is very impressive! Great work :)

Two main things that I'd like to point out:
    1) The belt strap attached to the big ring, doesn't feel like it's doing anything. What I mean is, if it was pulling the arm piece to keep it stuck to his shoulder, then the belt would be stretched and straight/flat. The way you have it kinda curving, makes it seem like the belt doesn't have much of a purpose. I would suggest straightening it out to imply the "pulling".

2) This is probably because you're still working on the piece, but I don't think pointing it out will do any harm:
    The skirt area / the drapes, look a bit blobby, I think a good way to help that is by using the HPolish brush on the corners of the drapes, you can also use the trim brush to cut out the corners so they are more defined/sharp and clean.

There is a bit of "blobbyness" happening on some of the armor (like the belt and the arm braces) a general thing I like to do in order to avoid that (especially before you put in any detail) is to ZRemesh whichever piece is getting too blobby, to a much lower polycount, ZBrush basically cleans it out for you, then you can subdivide it and/or use the "polish by features" tool in the deformation tab.

And if somehow you find yourself with a blobby piece with detail on it, I still suggest to Zremesh it as taking your time to get rid of the blobbyness with probably take longer than just re-doing it. That's just personal advice that has proven true to me!'

Besides that I don't have much else to say except: This is an awesome character and I'm excited to see it finished!
  • Fodenn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fodenn polycounter lvl 2

What sort of orc is he supposed to be, becaue right now it's feeling generic.

I agree with you, right now he lacks personality, I'm looking into giving him more history, maybe going more into Norse vibes.
    Lurcisia said:

For someone being quite new to Zbrush this is very impressive! Great work :)

Two main things that I'd like to point out:
    1) The belt strap attached to the big ring, doesn't feel like it's doing anything. What I mean is, if it was pulling the arm piece to keep it stuck to his shoulder, then the belt would be stretched and straight/flat. The way you have it kinda curving, makes it seem like the belt doesn't have much of a purpose. I would suggest straightening it out to imply the "pulling".

2) This is probably because you're still working on the piece, but I don't think pointing it out will do any harm:
    The skirt area / the drapes, look a bit blobby, I think a good way to help that is by using the HPolish brush on the corners of the drapes, you can also use the trim brush to cut out the corners so they are more defined/sharp and clean.

There is a bit of "blobbyness" happening on some of the armor (like the belt and the arm braces) a general thing I like to do in order to avoid that (especially before you put in any detail) is to ZRemesh whichever piece is getting too blobby, to a much lower polycount, ZBrush basically cleans it out for you, then you can subdivide it and/or use the "polish by features" tool in the deformation tab.

And if somehow you find yourself with a blobby piece with detail on it, I still suggest to Zremesh it as taking your time to get rid of the blobbyness with probably take longer than just re-doing it. That's just personal advice that has proven true to me!'

Besides that I don't have much else to say except: This is an awesome character and I'm excited to see it finished!

Thank you so much for this review, it is definitely motivating for me.

You are undeniably right about the general blobbyness, as you are for the straps.
    I will continue to refine those pieces and I will try to post another update in a near future.
    Thank you also for the greats advice, it will for sure help me out.