Home Technical Talk

maya - ncloth - path constrain - mash???????????????????????????????????????????????????

MrLo
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
MrLo null
Hi!

I'm having huge problems creating a scene in maya:

I have to create an animation of a set of sheets of paper that runs along a curve around an object like a kind of magic.

Is there anybody who could tell me what kind of pipeline I have to adopt or who could give me some advice on how to approach to the problem?

For now I have approached the scene using first ncloth on a single sheet of paper, after which I created a vortex field but does not allow any kind of control of the mesh.

So I tried to bind the sheets to a curve with the attract mesh but even here I did not succeed.

"Help me Obi Wan you're my only hope"

many thanks

Lorenzo

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This video might help with the mesh attract? You didn't say why or how you didn't succeed. Another method you could try is to animate locators along your curve as a motion path. Then use a transform constraint to bind some vertices of your sheets to the locators.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M71KP64KJ9k

• MrLo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrLo null
    Thanks for your reply throttlekitty!
    The video was really helpful!

The reason why I didn't succeed is that once I've created the simulation of the sheet, that follows a circular line around an object, I can't replace the alembic of my simulation with the particles, keeping unchangend the offset of my instances.
    In short, when I instantiate the alembic to the particles of a previously created curve flow, these are created with a completely wrong offset with respect to the curve flow path.

Secondly, all the instances I've created on the curve flow are identical and do not interact with each other (in the sense that they rightly do not collide) what I would like to do for a more realistic scene.

So my question is: am I doing right keep going in this way? or there's a better way to create a paper sheets animated vortex?