Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Male Head WIP

Greg DAlessandro
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
This is my first sculpt in about 3.5 years. I'm working with a dynamesh base.  I'm not sure who this is, but it is based on this link: https://www.pinterest.cl/pin/459789443181918407/

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Bird's eye view, the sides of the head don't flare out like that.

decent start
  • jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    I would bring in a skull, place it inside the head and match your forms from that.  I agree with Brian, to me the zygomatic and temporal areas of the skull are missing all together and is making your head look off.  I would also place some placeholder eyes in the sockets so you can start molding the eyelids around them 
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: I decided to work on a skull study first.

How do you decide when to move on to a another anatomy study or to keep working on the same project? This skull is not finished, does not have clean brushwork, and is not anatomically accurate, but I don't know what would be the best use of my time: to keep at it, or move on to another anatomy study. Any tips or recommendations? Thank you.

• pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    Is that skull an African female skull?

Just be careful if your using a african female skull. There is a lot of difference between female and male skull. The drawing reference is sort of bad. Paul Richer has a better drawing of a skull.

On the skull there is a lot of distortion in that reference photograph.
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea said:

Is that skull an African female skull?

Just be careful if your using a african female skull. There is a lot of difference between female and male skull. The drawing reference is sort of bad. Paul Richer has a better drawing of a skull.

On the skull there is a lot of distortion in that reference photograph.

I'm not sure which ethnicity the references are. The top one seems Caucasian, and I'm not sure about the bottom one.
    Which skull is distorted? I'm trying to find images of Paul Richer skull drawings.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you think your objeective is when you're doing an anatomy study? Let's hear your thoughts.
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be able to accurately recreate what I see, to understand the forms, and to improve my brushwork.
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, would using a 3d PDF of this be considered cheating? (A 3d turnaround of a CAT scanned skull that I can view in Adobe Reader) I don't know if I should avoid modeling off of a 3d skull or only from 2d images.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrpVzSK23Q0
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right about the first two assertions. Brushwork in ZBrush is . . . that could be a thing, but if you're looking towards the usual needs fo game development, it's going to be an inefficient use of your time.

It's fine to use 3D references.

Are you measuring your skull/head as you make it?
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking towards the usual needs of game development?

I use front and side image planes to move the sculpt to match the outlines. While I sculpt I compare landmark points to make sure that the angles/distances between two points match, but I think I tend to spend more time focusing on the shape details than actively comparing the landmarks between reference and my sculpt.