Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Colt 1847 Percussion Pistol

JEmerson
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
JEmerson polycounter lvl 7
Finished a 3rd person game model of a Colt 1847 percussion pistol, dragoon, in 44 caliber pistol. This pistol was a revolutionary percussion cap and powder pistol that drastically reduced reloading times required by the user. It became a favorite among Army officers on horseback, and in later versions, Navy officers as well. Total triangle count is 6,458. Rendered in Marmoset Toolbag using 4k textures. Marmoset render scene available to view at Artstation posting. Due to size of the pistol in-engine I will not be showing any renders from that (a lot of detail gets lost).

Replies

• MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    I suppose you want some feedback.  :smiley:

1) Where did those cuts came from?
    2) Is that gold??? I suppose you wanted copper, then, why so yellowish? Copper is more brownish:

3) Why sooo many polygons??
    4) Why so low amount of polygons??? if you want this to be a FPS weapon then this part of the weapon would not be seen but you are actually showing all of it. If that was your intention why not put your camera so the front part would be closer to it. That way that part would not be seen that much.
  • JEmerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JEmerson polycounter lvl 7
    I suppose you want some feedback.  :smiley:
    1) Where did those cuts came from?
    2) Is that gold??? I suppose you wanted copper, then, why so yellowish? Copper is more brownish:
    3) Why sooo many polygons??
    4) Why so low amount of polygons??? if you want this to be a FPS weapon then this part of the weapon would not be seen but you are actually showing all of it. If that was your intention why not put your camera so the front part would be closer to it. That way that part would not be seen that much.
    I'll respond by point so you can see where I came from. Not saying it's right, just how my thinking was at that time.

1) I imagined those cuts as being the result of using the grip in a hammer fashion on the back of someone's skull. Enough force/tearing to cause cuts across the bottom of the wood grips couple with mishandling it.
    2) It is supposed to be tarnished bronze, not gold. Color value came direct from substance. So if it's wrong, then we better let Allegorithmic know. :P But seriously, I made an assumption that their smart material, as a beginning point when I built that material area up, was PBR correct. I'll admit that overall, I probably deviated quite a bit.
    3) I wanted to emphasize some of the curves as they would be more easily seen than others.
    4) See #3, but also this is not an FPS weapon. It is 3rd person so the curve of the grip would not be seen.
  • MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    Ok.
    1) I am not quite sure if using this gun as a hammer would cause that kind of cuts. Besides, cut are too visible while around them I don´t see any kind of damage. If you hit something, its surface tend to get rough at least. And there I don´t see any change in the roughness map compared to the rest of the grip. Please, If you want to do something like this, try to find a reference of this kind of details (You can´t emulate something if you don´t know how it looks in the first place).
    2)Picture I have found in google:

Tarnish is basically a patina.
    First try to emulate copper, then try to create the patina/Tarnish. And use references for this.
    3)If that was your intention, why not doing it in 4)??