Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] SciFi Scene - Grenade, crate, corridor....

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
DamjanMX polycounter lvl 11
Decided to texture-up some old models.

I'm still not sure how the exact scene will look so I have to solve that along the way. Grenade is mostly done (model and textures), crate has a semi-finished model and corridor is just first pass.

So far, I have this:

Grenade - base model/normal details/textures (want to add some text and labels to the texture):

Iray from Substance Painter:

Crate, just the base model for now. I'm working on UVs atm and will start texturing tomorrow.

And the beginning of a corridor. This will change a lot.

Replies

• PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    I don't know why there is fabric on your grenade, but more-so, I don't know why I like it so much. Very interesting idea. It also seems like a holder you click grenades into, were they to be on a belt of some sort.

That said, top notch modeling on those panels and whatnot. Thanks for sharing.
  • DamjanMX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't planned fabric from the beginning, wanted it to be rather conventional but it felt boring (you can see the first texture iteration below). Then I got inspired by modern small speakers and the mesh cloth they have, thought it could be a good design choice for increased grip. I liked how it looked so decided to keep it :) It has some uncanny feel, I agree, but what the heck :)

Modeling wise, it's a bit of a "cheat" as I decided to try out Moi3D and Fusion so most of the parts are done there (those are a pain to unwrap) + detailing in 3dsmax/zbrush. 

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Nice looking nades, I like the crate too.
  • DamjanMX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Here is a quick texture breakdown before I have something presentable to show for the crate :)

• DamjanMX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got some time this weekend, so here is some progress on the crate. I'm still thinking about the color scheme, as if I should go with more then one color. Any ideas? At the moment, I feel that single color + mesh details + texture details should be enough. I don't even see a practical reason to make this from more then one material, it is just a crate after all - single function. 

Base model / normal details / texture / render (iray):

• DamjanMX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaaaand, in the surprising turn of the events - all the doubts about the crate texture made me thinking and I took a step back. So, now I making a scene.

WIP_001

• DamjanMX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still trying to figure out the best relative scale/proportion and thus the main composition. I know the monster puppy steals the show but I want the attention to go to the crates and grenades. So - smaller puppy and more spotlight. Thinking about ditching the environment as well. Any thoughts?

• DamjanMX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm overthinking this at the moment, need to take a step back.

• DamjanMX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

This is what I decided to do with my scene - could not reconcile with putting main focus only on the crates without the dog stealing the show. So, I took a step back, deep inhale - and then a yin-yang appeared to me in a vision. Eureka! Duality it is, two sides of the same scene telling (maybe) two stories.

I'm happy with this - back to detailing! :)

Wip:

• DamjanMX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decision has been made! :) I'm going with the smaller puppy dog as I feel it has a nicer contrast and more interesting story to it. I will re-design it to be more cute-ish but with severe anger issues. On the top of that, the Alien Space Puppy Pug has developed an over-attachment to strange things.

The turnaround you see is somewhere half-way between how it looked and what I want.

• HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Hi this looking great! the only thing that feels a bit off is the part on grenade with hex pattern, lower part seems stretched and it would make more sense if the scale of pattern is a bit small to show it packs more ballistic power. Lastly there would be almost no edge wear on hex pattern as its protected from top and side extrusion bits. 
  • DamjanMX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT said:
    Hi this looking great! the only thing that feels a bit off is the part on grenade with hex pattern, lower part seems stretched and it would make more sense if the scale of pattern is a bit small to show it packs more ballistic power. Lastly there would be almost no edge wear on hex pattern as its protected from top and side extrusion bits. 
    Thanks!

I'm not worried about the stretched lower part, actually I like it as i breaks the pattern. Bur smaller pattern might look nicer, will try that! And you are probably right about edge wear on those parts ;)
  • Tejvir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejvir polycounter lvl 5
    well done man so good.
  • DamjanMX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaaaaaand, I'm back. Vacations are over!

Last night I made this cloth/tarp with textures - as a warm up exercise. It will cover one of the grenade crates in the scene.

And a breakdown video:

I'll try to keep the updates regular....

@Tejvir
    Thanks!