Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My First Ever Completed Character - All Comments and Critiques are Welcomed

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
TROGLODYTE polycounter lvl 6
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post ever on Polycount (far as I can recall) and I am posting my first ever completed 3D character.  I am still learning the process of hi to low poly transfer in Zbrush and the UV process in Maya (so don't ask me what my poly count on this is right now...it's high! :'( ) ...but I managed to grasp enough to create a tattoo texture map for the skin portion.  I have become very adept at retopology and I love retopologizing but I am still trying to figure out how to retopologize 20 ZBrush subtools into on continuous retopology without losing detail.  Honestly I am baffled by it.
Aside from the blue skin, which was UV'd using Maya 2018, all the leather armor, shading and weapons were paint-over via Photoshop.

Thank you in advance for all comments and critiques!

Jonathan Acosta
www.jonacosta.net
solosage@bellsouth.net

Replies

• goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 6
    Congrats on achieving this step so far :)

I am no pro myself, and i am currently on the "My First Ever Completed Character"-step myself.

But i think to call it "complete" the step retopology is required (if it was meant as an in-game-model?)

Maybe try to merge some subtools together which make sense to you?
    For example:
    - body
    - both Boots
    - trousers
    - leather straps
    -mask
    - hair
    - etc...

and retopology those separately,
    so you can than unwrap it so you can than bake maps out of it to use it for texturing.

I can be wrong, maybe some pros can help us here out?

I like your concept, if i have something to find fault with, than it is the proportion of the body, something seems to be not correct i think.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Show your wireframes
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Fantastic work. 

The model does not need to be one continuous mesh. In fact, there's a lot of good reasons not to make it like that. You can start by retopologizing each individual subtool by itself, then if you want to stitch certain ones together -- like maybe connect the boots to the legs -- that shouldn't be too hard. Might just need to close off some edge loops.