Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP_UE4] Enchanted Forest

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Lokidottir polycounter lvl 5
Finally started learning UE4, put this together this evening, hopefully over the week I'll be able to make more progress and update soon, but moving countries the end of next week, so really depends on how much packing I get done between now and then. 

The tree, rock and fern used are from the Kite Demo, The ground texture I downloaded from Texture Haven. The bridge will be the the only thing I model in this scene as I want to concentrate more on working within UE4, This is my first wip shot just getting a feel for the lighting and mood.

Some guideline images for the overall mood

any and all crits welcome :-) 

Replies

• FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Oooh, very nice overall. Would like to point out that the bark for the tree is very obviously a lot smoother and less detailed than the texture would suggest. Making it look much less varied in depth and detail could go a long way towards selling it. I know it's not really ideal, but until you can afford half a million polys for a tree, well.

The other thing is that the bridge has an obviously repeating texture near the top, the two bricks that stick out specifically.
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hey, block-out has some mood already :)

Going forward it will be important for the bridge to be well constructed.

• polygons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygons polycounter lvl 4
    I would like to mirror what everyone else said and say that the bridge is a really important part of this and adding variation with the bricks would help a lot. Even though it sounds like you just threw this together it already looks awesome I look forward to seeing more!
  • Lokidottir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokidottir polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you for the comments, and although a couple of weeks later than I wanted (I've just moved countries) I can get back on with working on this :-) 

@FreneticPonies   I get you on the trees, I didn't model them they are from the UE4 Kite Demo, so maybe it's the way I've added them to the scene that isn't working properly I shall look into that. I'm also looking at picking up speedtree, so I may change them in for my own ones at some future point :-) I just want to mainly concentrate on getting lighting right within this scene as that is the main focus of this project.

@Fabi_G & @polygons agreed, as the only piece I wanted to model for this scene I'm still working on the bridge, I need to fine tune it some more, hopefully this wip will show the direction I'm going for with this scene better than that blockout :-)