Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: BioLumi

node
Offline / Send Message
BioLumi node
Hello World

To introduce myself currently a student in my final year of animation school. My current career goal is to get a job as an environment artist. I also have always wanted to learn how draw.

During the school year I have been going to class an hour early everyday to sketch, but I found that I was ingraining bad habits without knowing it. I'm hoping critiques will solve this. If I graduate not having learned drawing fundimentals I might go to an atelier over summer.

My current 3d work

My current 2d work

Current skills I need to learn

For 3D

I am in the process of developing a photogrammetric workflow including specific models tiling textures and zbrush alphas. I can now create the individual models without much challenge, but I run into problems with baking displacement, and creating tiling surfaces. I need to flatten the geo in zbrush some how before baking.

At work I am developing a foliage workflow. We're working in speedtree and I can import those models into maya. Right now I use a paint geometry script to populate environments with proxy geo and then I use replace object to add the final trees. I think there is a better more procedural workflow. We're working in maya 2015 so mash isn't an option.

For Drawing

I became discouraged after I saw my hard plateau and stopped. At the time I was studying with a combo of direct copying from andrew loomis and drawing each principal. I would draw several images until I understood what he was describing. This worked well in the beginning, but I couldn't remember any of the anatomy, it also made my work extremely stiff. It's like I couldn't enter the flow state when studying this way.  I also have issues with art blocks.

So my next attempt to learn will be to watch timelapses and copy the technique, but not the subject matter. I'm hoping this will show me how to incorporate technical knowledge without losing flow.

Replies

• BioLumi
    Offline / Send Message
    BioLumi node

My boss gave the the morning off of work due to the heat, and so I decided to get confortable with volume rendering since we'll need it next year. I also have decided to sketch when waiting for playblasts and renders at work. I didn't produce anything worth posting but atleast its getting the habit going again. Once I draw a design I like, I'm going to produce a larger project. Something in the rain.

I also got my displacement maps baking in zbrush. When I switch to 16 bit I have some issues with clipping, but I'll work that one out monday morning. I think I just need to tweek the scale when baking.
  • JesseL
    Offline / Send Message
    JesseL polycounter lvl 5
    The first picture I think the composition needs significant work, the texturing is good, models is good but something is off with it. Try new lighting and look up directional lines for composition (heres a good article to start you off with https://vanseodesign.com/web-design/direct-the-eye/ )

The second one is good, texturing is fantastic, the rocks on the ground stand out a bit to much due to the bright color. But looks great, but there is little variation so you dont know what you should be looking at, I personally would get rid of the tree's in the middle right and place an interesting object back there such as a mountain (I believe there might be one already but the tree's block the view). Also be careful with the camera position relative to other objects, in the real world you never find a situation where all the objects star right in front of you. Placing an object like a fern close to the camera with blur can help blend the viewers perspective and draw them into the scene

The third looks fantastic, your follow-up helps a lot with volumetrics although there's too much contrast with it, try adding a lot more fog so the furthest mountain is blurred. While bumping up the brightness of the shadows. Perhaps try using a HDRI at dusk (bright oranges and deep blue. The sudden stop of the cloud looks quite unnatural as well

Your 2D work is significantly better with composition, color and lighting. The timer's perspective skew makes people feel uneasy the further you tilt it, it works well in that scene but be careful otherwise you lose focus on the content as the uneasiness overshadows what you are trying to convey

For environment population look into Forest pack pro

• BioLumi
    Offline / Send Message
    BioLumi node
    Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it and thanks a bunch for the article. I also agree with most everything described here. Will get to work making the changes.

With the 2d digital paintings I tend to compose better due to the flexibility of the medium, but I also don't tend to think much during this process since I can erase anything I don't like. I'm very challenged when I have to slow down and be deliberate.

Some sketches at the museum of natural history.
    for the
  • BioLumi
    Offline / Send Message
    BioLumi node
    I went out to the same museum but outside. I'm experimenting with simplifying the shapes as I draw. I still struggle on constructive form. I struggled a lot with the light on the face. The reflected light and was hard to wrap my head around.

Composition mark ups are still coming on the 3d.
  • JesseL
    Offline / Send Message
    JesseL polycounter lvl 5
    If working in 3d is becoming a difficulty I would recommend sketching in 2D then just porting it over to 3D until you are more comfortable with the presentation side of 3D

Those sketches are fantastic, I could easily see an amazing museum rendered piece from that to show off modelling, texturing and lighting skills mostly (with ability to add in muscles and skin if desired).  https://www.artstation.com/artwork/A0evo here is a great example of something similar if
  • BioLumi
    Offline / Send Message
    BioLumi node
    I finally figured out how to get past my creative blocks lately. Since I tend to get worked up over a drawings execution I decided to just write down my ideas in simple concrete language. This way I can stay loose and creative and only focus on quality afterwords.

My next 3d project scene.

I'm looking forward to working on all the micro detail. It will be a handy skill on next years film. I also tried using photos to force my painting style to change. I feel like I'm fighting my brush a bit, but I'm happy that it doesn't look like my other paintings. It will also be a good excuse to mess with megascans.

• BioLumi
    Offline / Send Message
    BioLumi node
    JesseL said:
    If working in 3d is becoming a difficulty I would recommend sketching in 2D then just porting it over to 3D until you are more comfortable with the presentation side of 3D

Those sketches are fantastic, I could easily see an amazing museum rendered piece from that to show off modelling, texturing and lighting skills mostly (with ability to add in muscles and skin if desired).  https://www.artstation.com/artwork/A0evo here is a great example of something similar if
    Thanks for the tip Maybe after I do the scene above I'll do a layer by layer study of the mausosaur.
  • BioLumi
    Offline / Send Message
    BioLumi node
    JesseL said:

Thanks for the tip Maybe after I do the scene above I'll do a layer by layer study of the mausosaur.