Home Technical Talk

Joining 3D and the Real World

null
Offline / Send Message
Yuri10k null
Hey guys, I was just passing by to know if any of you knew of a way to join either an image or vídeo with 3D. The objective was to create something somewhat similar to this but with a character, for example.
I'm currently learning the following softwares Blender, Zbrush and UE4.
Thanks in advance

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Augmented Reality Apps.

Snapchat has Lens Studio that's open to anyone at this time to upload models to the service and share them via QR codes

https://lensstudio.snapchat.com/
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blender has tools for integrating 3d into video.

More examples on that artist's Instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/tomin.works/
  • Yuri10k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuri10k null
    Oh! Awesome! I didn't know his instagram! It looks pretty cool. I'll check the tools blender has for that then. Thank you.
  • Yuri10k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuri10k null
    Augmented Reality Apps.

Snapchat has Lens Studio that's open to anyone at this time to upload models to the service and share them via QR codes

https://lensstudio.snapchat.com/

Sadly I don't have a phone good enough to deal with VR for the moment which makes me sad but gives me hope that one day it will be more accessible. Meanwhile I'd mostly like to work with my computer if possible.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    This isn't VR, this is Augmented Reality.  It should be less stress.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The video isn't really Augmented Reality. It's 3d rendered into video footage, to look like AR. You just need a computer that's good enough to do 3d modeling and rendering and compositing. And some talent, which is the harder part .;)
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    This is a fairly basic compositing task. You use software to match the camera movement to the video footage using a technique called Tracking. Then you bring the camera animation into your 3D app and render out your model on a Shadow Catcher which is a surface that is invisible but still receives shaows from your objects. Then you use a compositing software to overlay the rendered footage on the recorded footage masked by its alpha channel. 
    Most compositing footage like Nuke, After Effects, and Blackmagic Fusion can do both the tracking and the footage compositing, so pick your poison. Fusion is free, and Nuke has a non-commercial edition. I know that Blender can do video editing, and I belive compositing as well. So it might be that it has all of those features. 
    I would google tutorials on tracking and compositing, that should teach you what you need. 
  • Yuri10k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuri10k null
    Fingus said:
    This is a fairly basic compositing task. You use software to match the camera movement to the video footage using a technique called Tracking. Then you bring the camera animation into your 3D app and render out your model on a Shadow Catcher which is a surface that is invisible but still receives shaows from your objects. Then you use a compositing software to overlay the rendered footage on the recorded footage masked by its alpha channel. 
    Most compositing footage like Nuke, After Effects, and Blackmagic Fusion can do both the tracking and the footage compositing, so pick your poison. Fusion is free, and Nuke has a non-commercial edition. I know that Blender can do video editing, and I belive compositing as well. So it might be that it has all of those features. 
    I would google tutorials on tracking and compositing, that should teach you what you need. 
    Thank you! I'll be checking all of those options out and searching online for tracking and compositing tutorials for sure now :smile:
    Sometimes the hardest part is finding the names of the techniques artists use to create things.
  • Yuri10k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuri10k null
    This isn't VR, this is Augmented Reality.  It should be less stress.

I'm sure that if Pokemon Go didn't work on my phone and neither did other programs of the sort that sadly this might still be an issue. However, I will still try it out. Sorry I meant AR not VR when I wrote my comment.
  • Yuri10k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuri10k null
    The video isn't really Augmented Reality. It's 3d rendered into video footage, to look like AR. You just need a computer that's good enough to do 3d modeling and rendering and compositing. And some talent, which is the harder part .;)
    Haha, I agree. That would definitely be the hard part. But for now mine is simply knowing where I should start from since I have a hard time picking a single task to achieve at a time and pressing forward in that direction. I've been getting much better however, so I'm very happy about that.
    As for my computer, I shouldn't have a problem. It's a very nice one, even for a laptop.