Home General Discussion

Grand Theft Auto 5 is approaching 100 million copies sold.....

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator

I feel like this is a milestone that deserves its own thread, and in general, represents a huge milestone for the game industry.

As of March 31st, 2018, GTA 5 has currently sold 95 million copies worldwide.

Speaking with GamesIndustry.biz today, Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick acknowledged it was a catalog-driven year. In particular, Grand Theft Auto Online enjoyed another record year and a record fourth quarter, and Grand Theft Auto V reached 95 million copies shipped worldwide. As for new releases, NBA 2K18 was 2K's best-selling sports game ever, shipping 9 million copies in its first year, with recurrent consumer spending up 34% year-over-year.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-05-16-record-years-from-grand-theft-auto-online-and-nba-2k18-drive-take-two

Keep in mind, GTA 5 was originally a PS3/360 title, but it's still a best seller even on the next gen consoles.

I'll certainly bump this thread when it does cross the 100 million point.

Maybe Rockstar is working on a secret PS2 port to make up that last 5 million? Or port it to mobile phones.  :D

Replies

• Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Honestly, I'm still in complete awe about how en entertainment product, especially a video game, can sell so much.
    (Remember when Michael Jackson's Thriller 60M copy was the most sold entertainment product?)

I'm honestly wondering what was the actual budget, production cost, how much they earned up to date and the overall total gross...

The craziest part about it is that, not even considering sales, the games has an extensive and active online community with a bunch of players still buying skins, vehicles, weapons and all kinds of stuff, giving to big R* more cash in the process..

This game was a complete win for them.

Extensively, GTA V is almost unanimously seen as what a mainstream accessible open-world game should be like. 

Ubisoft, EA and Acti could only dreams for such impact and returns today.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Blond said:
    Not that I disagree, but something I learned a LONG time ago.

Back when I was working on those old Tony Hawk games, I asked the president, why not give us 2 years to make a TH game? We could polish thing to a more unexpected level, over-deliver on expectations, put out WAY more content.

His answer was simply this. "2 Tony Hawk Games will always outsell 1".

GTA 4 was released in 2008, and GTA 5 was 2013.
    It took 6 Years for Rockstar to release a game that sold 100million copies.

In 6 Years, Ubisoft managed to make:
    Assassin's Creed 2 (2009)
    Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (2010)
    Assassin's Creed Revelations (2011)
    Assassin's Creed III (2012)
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (2013)
    Assassin's Creed: Unity (2014)

That is nearly the entirety of the Franchise of Assassin's Creed, which is well over 100million sales.

**BTW** you know Activision owns Blizzard right?

• N_GONE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N_GONE polycounter lvl 5
    Well deserved, hope Red Dead Redemption 2 has atleast 1/4 of that success.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    I think they have estimated at GTA 5's total production cost to be somewhere in the $265 million range, that includes both production and marketing. They made that back within a few hours of release.
    https://twinfinite.net/2017/12/gta-v-cost-make-how-much/

There is something to be said for the make-em wait game dev cycle. You certainly do not risk the chance of series burn out like you do with yearly releases. However, I'm sure there is an equal risk of being forgotten as well and your 6 year later follow-up game doesn't sell nearly as well.

Think of it this way. Most of us have been waiting half our life for Half-Life Episode 3.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    There is something to be said for the make-em wait game dev cycle. 
     Definitely. Perhaps it's more a matter of what audience is being targeted, but I never miss any Rockstar games -- especially GTA installments -- while I hardly notice Ubisofts latest iterations. However, I really like what Ubi's been bringing to the multiplayer table lately, but that's besides the point.
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Blond said:

Back when I was working on those old Tony Hawk games, I asked the president, why not give us 2 years to make a TH game? We could polish thing to a more unexpected level, over-deliver on expectations, put out WAY more content.

That is nearly the entirety of the Franchise of Assassin's Creed, which is well over 100million sales.

Ubisoft has like 7 different studios making those games. Technically the studio that worked on AC2 only released one game after that and two teams worked on it ;)

• CrackRockSteady
    Needles said:
    Blond said:

Ubisoft has like 7 different studios making those games. Technically the studio that worked on AC2 only released one game after that and two teams worked on it ;)

You know Rockstar also has studios all over the world that contributed to GTAV, right?  https://www.mcvuk.com/development/inside-rockstar-north-part-2-the-studio

"This has actually evolved so much, say Benzies and Semple, that now ‘production’ of each giant Rockstar game isn’t just done by one studio – but all of them working together.

“That’s the way we work now - everyone works on GTA, or Red Dead, and so on, then we move on to the next thing,” says Benzies.

“Now that it takes 1,000 people to make a game, that’s a requirement. But we don’t want 1,000 in one place.”

Is it 1,000 people making GTA V?

“It’s probably more, much more.""

• ClydeAldrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN said:

I feel like this is a milestone that deserves its own thread, and in general, represents a huge milestone for the game industry.

As of March 31st, 2018, GTA 5 has currently sold 95 million copies worldwide.

Speaking with GamesIndustry.biz today, Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick acknowledged it was a catalog-driven year. In particular, Grand Theft Auto Online enjoyed another record year and a record fourth quarter, and Grand Theft Auto V reached 95 million copies shipped worldwide. As for new releases, NBA 2K18 was 2K's best-selling sports game ever, shipping 9 million copies in its first year, with recurrent consumer spending up 34% year-over-year.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-05-16-record-years-from-grand-theft-auto-online-and-nba-2k18-drive-take-two

Keep in mind, GTA 5 was originally a PS3/360 title, but it's still a best seller even on the next gen consoles.

I'll certainly bump this thread when it does cross the 100 million point.

Maybe Rockstar is working on a secret PS2 port to make up that last 5 million? Or port it to mobile phones.  :D
    I mean that's obvious right ?
    Grand theft auto, these words remind us of the game first then later about the crime that it is.
    It's always hyped up, always popular and above that, there are so many online sellers who sell the copies of these games with so much discount that even the most broke of us all would buy that.
    websites like www.press-start.com/de sells this game with insane discount and I think that is not even legit. People should be educated about this. 
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool

Do you have a source for this kind of sales figures on the Assassins Creed Franchise?

According to vgchartz.com these titles combined sold 12.36 Million copies in the first week.
    Ten times the first week sales could be the case but doesn't sound very plausible to me.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Banned our buddy Clyde for spam. Surreptitiously posting their url. And using spammy username/email discrepancy combo.

• TheGabmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    @defragger
    They mentioned it in a blog post  2 years ago, but I think the number includes sales from Rogue and Syndicate.

More accurate numbers might be found by checking their annual financial reports.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

JacqueChoi said:

Yup, business acumen 101 that underlines many a venture irrespective of industry.

A tad off piste but I reckon rates a mention if nothing else just for a simple eyebrow raise, namely a supposed GTA 6 2019 release which spawned a nefarious cloud of interweb postulating last month the studio had said was a hoax, although for my money no hesitation spending when a next edition happens too materialise sometime in the future.