Home Technical Talk

[Maya] Collapsing edges problem

null
Offline / Send Message
wick3d null
Hello guys!

I'm still kind of new to 3D modelling. I'm learning in Maya but recently I started looking at 3DS Max tutorials too, as Maya hardsurface tutorials seem to be more scarce. So I started following this tutorial but Maya doesn't behave the same way. It's about the collapse command. Let me show you. It turns out like this in the video.

And this is the result for me, when collapsing the selected edges:

As you can see, the edges are skewed and are not aligned like they are in the video. I don't know why. Can you tell how to do this in Maya then, if it's even possible. Thanks for your attention!

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have no idea why that collapse is so crooked. If you need to retain the straight lines, you'll need to select your pairs and do "merge edges to center" instead. Or you can use Transform Component to scale all of your pairs down so collapse can't stray too far.
  • alibaba17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alibaba17 polycounter lvl 5
    that is what maya collapse edge do, it will collapse the 1st edge, then another. so if you want to achieve what the video does, you might need to manually do it yourself, either delete the edge then reconnect them or use target weld