Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Doom (2016) Fan Art Pillar

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ionicotaco polycounter lvl 4
Did this pillar a few weeks ago for a class. Really stayed true to the concept as much as I could. I did the particle for the fire myself too. Trying to learn some particle effects on Unreal. Just wanted to show the pillar and see what everyone thought. Feedback is welcome. Thanks!! 

Concept art by Emerson Tung- https://www.artstation.com/emersontung

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looks dope! If you created the fire from scratch, it looks great as well. In the 4th image, where you get a close up of the missing corner chunks, I've always found if you sculpt that area with a bumpy alpha, and increase the roughness in the texture, it makes the damage really believable. The rest of the pillar will be polished or somewhat smooth, but in the damaged areas, its just the grain of the cement/stone. It would be really cool if you created a basic floor and wall for the final render.
  • ionicotaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, you are right those areas are supposed to look really like a sharp look as if it broke off not long ago. But it just looks melted kind of. I was thinking of doing like a rock wall and floor yeah but don't know if I should go for it. You really think I should do it?

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Either that, or some sort of Doom-related, really small environment. I'm doing the environment challenge for Polycount, which is a satellite dish from Doom, and I plan on putting it on a red, martian style cliff with the redish sky in the background, to make it look like it actually came from the game. Creating a cool floor and wall, or something to put the pillar in, would make the renders a bit more interesting for sure.
  • ionicotaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohh that would be really cool! Yeah, I want to put a floor and a wall since I know which map the concept was used for and I could recreate it as close as I could. It is going to be a challenge it will certainly be fun. Thanks for the suggestion!