Home Technical Talk

Autodesk Fusion for High Poly modelling?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
Here's bit of a context:
I have recently started working in a game with small team and ended up in situation where i'm the only artist on the team, so ever since I've been looking around for ways to optimize and speed up my workflow.
As an old-time 3DS Max user, first i switched to blender as the fact it's free and open source has some meaning when you're working on a product which is supposed to be commercial but you wan't to minimize spendings.

Thing is, while I'm familiar with high poly modelling and not exactly awful at it, i'm by no means professional and with the amount of weapon elements that i'll need to create for our game (and it's primarily things like guns which will need some details) keeping all the edge loops and stuff in check, when modelling weapon with subd modelling is really time consuming, up to point that i'd assume spending time making sure that geometry is clear takes more time shaping actual form.

With Autodesk Fusion or SolidWorks, the principle for modelling is different, in a way a lot more free form. Of course, this would be used for high poly model not low poly, but reduced need for keeping geometry in track would certainly make modelling more efficient, would it not?

I know that Cloud Imperium is using Autodesk Fusion for modelling their ships, i also saw some weapon artist using fusion for modelling guns but i wonder whether anyone has an actual experience.

I'd rather do some research before jumping into learning yet another software so very curious about what's your opinion about that matter.

Replies