Home Technical Talk

How to merge two uv sets into a single uv set in Maya

pukeanddie
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
pukeanddie polycounter lvl 2
Upon merging together two meshes I've ended up with two uv sets, somehow. I don't know what happened. But I want to take the uvs in UVW and combine those with UVW1. I can't seem to make this work.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Um... You just copy them into the target set using the uv copy tools.  
  • pukeanddie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So if I do that, say copy UVW1 to UVW, then all of the existing contents of UVW or overwritten with the contents of UVW1. I want to merge the two into one set. 
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Select the faces in UVW1, swap to UVW, unselect everything there, swap back to UVW1, copy into UVW.
  • TTools
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TTools polycounter lvl 4
    I think what might be causing you problems is if you try and copy UVs while in object mode.  So, for example, if you are in object mode, and switch to UVW1, and attempt to "Copy UVs to UV set" to UVW it will in fact overwrite the set.  However, if you switch to UV component mode, select all the UVs in set UVW1 and then "Copy UVs to UV set" > UVW, it should copy just those uvs into that set as a "merge" as opposed to an overwrite.

I tested this locally with success.  As an aside, you might want to rename your default uv set to map1, as that is maya's preferred convention for the default UV set.

Hope this works for you! Best of luck :smile:

• pukeanddie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TTools said:
    I think what might be causing you problems is if you try and copy UVs while in object mode.  So, for example, if you are in object mode, and switch to UVW1, and attempt to "Copy UVs to UV set" to UVW it will in fact overwrite the set.  However, if you switch to UV component mode, select all the UVs in set UVW1 and then "Copy UVs to UV set" > UVW, it should copy just those uvs into that set as a "merge" as opposed to an overwrite.

I tested this locally with success.  As an aside, you might want to rename your default uv set to map1, as that is maya's preferred convention for the default UV set.

Thanks. That was exactly the issue.

Strange thing - After copying the uvs from one set into another, if I then delete the original set that was copied, those same uv shells in the target uv set disappear too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • pukeanddie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TTools said:

Strange thing - After copying the uvs from one set into another, if I then delete the original set that was copied, those same uv shells in the target uv set disappear too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Looks like this has been solved, but I had same issues for awhile before finding a reliable solution. 

That second UV set usually comes from Zbrush, for me. What I do is select the UV components from whichever set has fewer shells and copy them into the other set. Switch to the new set to double check everything is there, and then delete the unnecessary set. You cannot delete the top set, so you may need to change the order. 

Deleting out that second UV set has just become a standard thing I do anytime I work between Maya and Zbrush.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Awwpukeanddie said:
    TTools said:

That'll probably be history.  Delete it first
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    poopipe said:
    Awwpukeanddie said:
    TTools said:

That'll probably be history.  Delete it first

Necro post a bit, but just wanted to chime in that this was a small thing that helped me.

Needed to delete history after copying UVs BEFORE deleting the secondary UV set I copied from. Deleting the secondary UV set you copied from will delete the UVs from the set you copied to, if you did not delete history after copying the UVs between sets.