Home Technical Talk

How To Remove Directional Light From Texture

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
daniellooartist polycounter lvl 11
Hello. I would like to make a diffuse map from a photo I took. It's clear that the lighting is coming from a certain angle. I used to have a Photoshop tutorial for this in the form of an image but I seem to have lost it. Unfortunately I can't re-google the image either and no one appears to be talking about this on record. What is the ideal method for removing directional light from a texture and make it look more evened out or flat?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I don't have an actual answer, but I watched a Gnomon Workshop tutorial once that showed how to do this. I believe it was a basic texturing tutorial, Intro to Texturing with PS or something like that. However, you may be looking for something more involved. IIRC, the instructor just used the clone brush to hide the **spots** with highlights.
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daniellooartist polycounter lvl 11
    I'll keep an eye out. You guys think this tutorial is pretty good? I ignored it at first because the original forum poster said step 1 was to place the texture into crazy bump. Thankfully the youtuber didn't do that. It's pretty straightforward, but is it ideal?

https://youtu.be/DKl_jkdK1Rg
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    And I forgot to mention, the instructors ref was an object photographed using specialized equipment. So.... simply using the clone brush might not be a complete solution for all situations.