Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lion Warrior Sculpture

null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hydeon null
Hello everyone,
So this is my first serious sculpture in ZBrush!
Made it following Victory3D Udemy's course, very useful, really recommend it.
Feel free to give some feedback i will really aprecciate it!

Replies

• jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    hi @Hydeon

first off I would say try to figure out what style you wanna go for, I.E. what game do you see this in?

Secondly, before going any further, I would start gathering tons of reference, especially for the lions head (from various angles) and tons of anatomy reference.  I would take a step back and rework your primary and secondary forms.  I know its easy to get carried away with the fine details, but all of that will be wasted if there is not a solid foundation 

keep it up!  Youll get there 
  • Hydeon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hydeon null
    hi @Hydeon

first off I would say try to figure out what style you wanna go for, I.E. what game do you see this in?

Secondly, before going any further, I would start gathering tons of reference, especially for the lions head (from various angles) and tons of anatomy reference.  I would take a step back and rework your primary and secondary forms.  I know its easy to get carried away with the fine details, but all of that will be wasted if there is not a solid foundation 

keep it up!  Youll get there 
    Thank you sou much for your feedback!
    Will take a step back and improve it and start thinking what syle I aim for.
  • bird-jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bird-jones polycounter lvl 13
    Hey @Hydeon, well done on finishing a character, it feels good to completely model a character head-to-toe. Almost every single beginner, including myself, always rushes into the details, because it's so much fun, and we want to see it look amazing straight away. I promise you that if you spend hours making sure the proportions and the sizes of everything are as accurate as possible, before putting in any details like the armour, the straps, the teeth, etc. it will help you so much when it comes to details. Your character will already feel pretty bad ass, and then adding the details just amplifies it further!

A great little tip to help you achieve great primary forms is don't subdivide your mesh by more than 2 or 3 until it looks as accurate to human anatomy as possible.

Keep going!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Block in your silhouette first. Just the sihlouette.
  • Hydeon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hydeon null
    Hey @Hydeon, well done on finishing a character, it feels good to completely model a character head-to-toe. Almost every single beginner, including myself, always rushes into the details, because it's so much fun, and we want to see it look amazing straight away. I promise you that if you spend hours making sure the proportions and the sizes of everything are as accurate as possible, before putting in any details like the armour, the straps, the teeth, etc. it will help you so much when it comes to details. Your character will already feel pretty bad ass, and then adding the details just amplifies it further!

A great little tip to help you achieve great primary forms is don't subdivide your mesh by more than 2 or 3 until it looks as accurate to human anatomy as possible.

Keep going!
    Thank you for your comment! It helps me a lot to stay motivated and improving my art!
    I will apply your tip and focus on the proportions.
  • Stefmon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefmon polycounter lvl 8
    I echo what Jose said, use lots of reference and figure out if you're working realistic or stylised. And even if it's stylised, use realistic reference. Stylised designs are derived from real life and real things, even if in an abstract or altered way.

In case it's useful, here's a video by FlippedNormals that may help with making muscles defined but not too exaggerated. <Link>
    Watch tutorials! (the early pixologic streams are vgood for early stages) and keep sculpting.

Also, I recommend this book: Anatomy for 3D Artists: The Essential Guide for CG Professionals by 3D total.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anatomy-3D-Artists-Essential-Professionals/dp/1909414247
    It's a very good resource for digital character sculpture that goes over anatomy, the block-out and the detailing process.

Keep practicing! If you're finding trouble with certain body parts, spend a day making just knees or ears or whatever.  
    Hope that helps.
  • Hydeon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hydeon null
    Block in your silhouette first. Just the sihlouette.
    Thank you for give me some feedback!
    Will focus on the siholuette!
  • Hydeon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hydeon null
    Stefmon said:
    I echo what Jose said, use lots of reference and figure out if you're working realistic or stylised. And even if it's stylised, use realistic reference. Stylised designs are derived from real life and real things, even if in an abstract or altered way.

In case it's useful, here's a video by FlippedNormals that may help with making muscles defined but not too exaggerated. <Link>
    Watch tutorials! (the early pixologic streams are vgood for early stages) and keep sculpting.

Also, I recommend this book: Anatomy for 3D Artists: The Essential Guide for CG Professionals by 3D total.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anatomy-3D-Artists-Essential-Professionals/dp/1909414247
    It's a very good resource for digital character sculpture that goes over anatomy, the block-out and the detailing process.

Keep practicing! If you're finding trouble with certain body parts, spend a day making just knees or ears or whatever.  
    Hope that helps.
    Thank you for your feedback!
    Will focus on the human anatomy first. Thank you for sharing this excellent resources!