Home Marmoset

Reduce Marmoset file export

Alecc
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Alecc polycounter lvl 5

Hey guys,

Can you explain to me, what define the size of exported file ( .mview ) ?

I tried to reduce the map's size, but it's not really impacting on my size file. ( map : 3 mb to 281 Kb // mview size 15mb to 14,85 mb... )
I guess the polycount is important, but I need another solution to reduce the size :/

Thanks

Replies

• NinjaSocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NinjaSocks keyframe
    I'd also like to know more about this topic. If anyone could point us towards some info regarding the matter it would be great :) 
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    File sizes for Viewer exports depend mostly on texture resolution/quality, but the geometry count has an impact as well.

For instance, 10k triangles should roughly be about 250kb, 100k 2.5mb, and 1 million 25mb.

Generally speaking, unless you have a high poly mesh, the texture quality setting is what determines the final size of the .mview file.

You can find more information about Viewer here: https://marmoset.co/support/?page=viewer

The texture quality options in the export dialog determine compression and resolution, with the following maximums:

• Low: Textures are capped at 1024×1024 with low quality compression.
    • High: Textures are capped at 2048×2048 with medium quality compression.
    • Unreasonable: Textures are capped at 4096×4096 with high quality compression.

Textures are compressed on export, so the size of the texture file on disk before loading it into Toolbag is not a factor. For instance, if you save your spec map as a JPG to reduce the size on disk, this will have no effect in Toolbag. This is not recommended because it will result in compressing the content twice which will reduce the quality.

The lossless normal map setting will typically increase the file size considerably as PNG is used instead of JPG for the normal map(s) in that case.

One way you can reduce texture quality is to selectively resize some of the textures. For instance, if your spec and gloss maps don't have much detail, you can resize those before importing into Toolbag. Spec and gloss are packed into one image, so if you're going to resize one you should resize both, otherwise the file size will stick to the highest map. For instance, if you have a 1024 spec and a 512 gloss, you'll get a 1024 spec with an enlarged gloss map in the alpha channel.