Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cyberpunk Gadget

node
Offline / Send Message
Kainkun node
Any critique would be appreciated. I don't know much about making game assets.

model
First-time uploading to sketchfab. I might have done something wrong

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What does it do?  

Kind of looks like a weapon, but there's nothing to hold it with.

Is this your own design?
  • Kainkun
    Offline / Send Message
    Kainkun node
    @Brian "Panda" Choi
    @Brian Panda Choi
    @Brian Panda" Choi"
     Brian "Panda" Choi 
    @Brian Panda Choi
    @Brian 'Panda' Choi
    still not sure how to @ you.

I was originally modeling it after this gun but a went a different direction. I don't really know what is it. I was thinking it might be some kind of tool. I just wanted to make something interesting.

also when I read your comment all it says is "What does it do?"
    but when I quote it I see that there's more to the message
    What does it do?  

Is this your own design?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    I recommend modeling after the water gun.  You'll have a clearer visual target to understand what a proper game asset is to look like.

Unless you're willing to go in and do the concept redesign work, right now it's reading an uninteresting, lacking a specific purpose for its use, kind of like a weapon but not really, and not given enough time to look polish and final.

To me, this looks like a bad weapon model from a Quake 1 clone.  You have the space and time to do something better.
  • Kainkun
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Unless the blood has organic chunks in it, the blood you have on this shouldn't have strong normals, if any.  It's more liquid paint than anything else

Your metalness map is the SAME as the roughness?  That's not how that works.
    Metalness answers the question "is this metal or not?"
    Roughness answers the question "how rough is this surface?"
    One texture map rarely answers both correctly.

It's also clear you didn't work from a high poly mesh.  In certain instances and styles, just stamping in normal map alphas can work, but you don't seem comfortable nor ready yet for that.  Make a high poly mesh and bake from it.

• Kainkun
    Offline / Send Message
    Kainkun node
    I thought I did something wrong with the metalness and roughness in sketchfab. Its because I exported the textures for unity so theyre put into one image. (rbg & alpha I think)

Maybe I did something wrong but I did bake a high poly model. (substance painter)
    I baked then also added normal stamps. Is it wrong to do both? Also, why am I not ready to use normal stamps?

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    In my opinion, your high poly suffers from a lack of clear direction with the design of the object.  You seem to know how to subdivide, which is good.

I mentioned "not ready to use alpha stamps" because your design of the object isn't confident enough.  It FEELs like you're hoping the alpha stamps do about 40% of the normal work when it should really not carry thhat much weight.  Your high poly, once again, feels amorphous and needs more care.
  • Kainkun
    Offline / Send Message
    Kainkun node
    Alright, thanks again :smile:

• Kainkun
    Offline / Send Message
    Kainkun node
    @Brian "Panda" Choi
    @Brian Panda Choi
    @Brian Panda" Choi"
     Brian "Panda" Choi 
    @Brian Panda Choi
    @Brian 'Panda' Choi
    still not sure how to @ you.

I was originally modeling it after this gun but a went a different direction. I don't really know what is it. I was thinking it might be some kind of tool. I just wanted to make something interesting.

also when I read your comment all it says is "What does it do?"
    but when I quote it I see that there's more to the message
    What does it do?  

Is this your own design?