Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Long time member, first time poster. Here is my first completed environment. C&C appreciated.

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
bipolarbear45 polycounter lvl 10
Hi there, 

So I have been lurking around here for quite a while but never really felt like I was at the point to share my work.  I recently have graduated from college specializing in 3D Modeling.  I finally feel like I am at a point that I am proud of the work that I have done.  I would love to hear what you nice people think.  Any thoughts that you all have are welcome. Thank you for looking. 

Replies

• Blouko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blouko polycounter lvl 7
    I'd love to see screenshots from different angles, looks great!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I want more shots and breakdowns, Thomas.  This looks liek a decent solid sstart
  • bipolarbear45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bipolarbear45 polycounter lvl 10
    I had made singular assets before and small scenes all through college but this was the first time that I actually set down to make a full environment.  This is also the project that I realized that I wanted to specialize in environment art.  I made a lot of the small vegetation in 3DS Max, the rocks and the large tree trunk in Zbrush, and the other trees and billboards in Speedtree.  A lot of the textures are taken from textures.com as my texturing work needs improvement, especially with substance.  It is all rendered and lit in UE 4.  

I kind of set it up to look decent from this angle so I don't really have any other good screenshots. I will try to make some more here in a little while.  I did play around with some different lighting settings before I settled on this.  Here are some of my test shots:

For this one, I was trying to make a spooky, horror-esque look to it.  I thought that it turned out to be a little too dark and you lose a lot of the detail in the scene.  I was a fan of the fog so I tried it with the lighter lighting to see if it looked better in the daytime. 

At this point, I realized that it was the fog that was causing a ton of the detail to be lost and blurring the further parts of the composition. I dropped the fog and made the current final render.  The last lighting test that I did was something a little unrealistic.  I had originally planned to have a few more supernatural elements in the scene to spice it up a little but cut it in the end as I felt it was unnecessary.  This next one was a render to fit that sort of feel.  

I still feel like I could have worked with this a little more, especially change the skybox to make it fit better. Ultimately, It just seemed to blanket the scene with light which isn't what I wanted for it. Finally, here is a screenshot of all of the assets that I made for the project.  My teacher joked around calling it my asset pack. 

I do wish that I had more assets like vines, mushrooms, Pinecones, etc.  I think that it also needs more color and contrast in the scene.  I am working on a new project now that will definitely have more color to it.  Still, I would love to hear what you all think. I hope I didn't write too much.  It was actually really helpful to kind of write all of these thoughts down for the first time.  
  • Blouko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blouko polycounter lvl 7
    You definitely didn't write to much. I do think the second image stands out better than the final one too much, with the loss of detail it focuses your eye on the fence, which could be a good thing. Although, it might be too strong, it looks a little weird on the left side, where the water is. Anyhow, nice work!