Home Technical Talk

Game 3D Models Vs. Movie 3D Models

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
tekkoontan polycounter lvl 4
What are the major differences?

I ask because I used to make game models but now I want to make models for movies.

So from my understanding game models uses normal maps and movie models use displacement maps?

Movie models and game models both need to have good topology but movie models do not need retopology because they are allowed to have higher topology? and lets say you have buttons on cloth, in games, you will need to retopo that, but in movies the button and cloth's mesh are allowed to be separated, right?

I also asked this awesome artist called ian Spriggs whether he uses PBR in his work he said no, so i guess movie models dont use PBR, it instead requires you to tweak metalic sliders etc. in renderers like V-Ray?

And hairs are done in cards in games and strands by strands in movies, right?

I also saw that textures (for example denim textures) are mapped to normal maps in games. But for movies, you use displacement maps instead? 

when painting game models i use Substance Painter. But can Substance Painter be used to paint movie models? because SP uses PBR but is not required in movies. How is Mari different or better compared to SP?

Hope you guys can correct me if there is anything i said is wrong. Or if there is anything major that i missed, please let me know.

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    I'm sure someone else can provide a more comprehensive answer but the primary difference is: game models (and textures/materials/etc) need to run in real time and therefore need to be optimized as much as possible.

IIRC normal maps (bump maps?) are also used in film (as well as displacement maps, obviously), I think it just depends on what the situation calls for.

I don't work in film so I don't know what renderers are commonly used for hollywood films but I would be very surprised to learn that "PBR is not required for movies".  Things might not be done in exactly the same way as PBR for games but I am guessing that some sort of physically based rendering systems are used for rendering in film (at least CG intended to be used in conjunction with live action film).
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    To add a little bit to what CrackRockSteady said, I believe, fully baked normal maps are not used in movies, they are only used for smaller details, and the elements are always modeled out, edges are rounded in the geo, etc. 
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    All the fancy renderers support physically based shading and lighting.

Normal maps are used but as stated above they tend to be for smaller details rather than to simulate geometry that you can't afford to render (because you can afford to render it)

Retopology is required because you still need to rig things and the idea that you can freely sling billions of triangles about is false as it will still contribute to increases in render time - which gets very expensive.

Yes, you can use substance Painter - any offline renderer worth a damn will support the creation of a shader that can take output from it happily. 
    there's a vfx focused version coming soon I believe which I imagine will have better udim support and hopefully more control over lighting 

Hair can be done using strands in realtime. It's just a matter of whether you can afford to do enough other stuff at the same time. 

In short... 

There really isn't much difference in workflow and techniques for modeling. The biggest gaps are in simulation, surfacing and lighting where offline renderers are able to make use of techniques that aren't possible purely on GPU and certainly aren't tenable in realtime. 
  • tekkoontan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tekkoontan polycounter lvl 4
    hey thank you all for the comment, i appreciated it.

If anyone else wants to say more, please do so. so i can make even better decisions when making my models.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    poopipe said:
    Retopology is required because you still need to rig things and the idea that you can freely sling billions of triangles about is false as it will still contribute to increases in render time - which gets very expensive. 
    In my experience more polygons does not increase render time on a film quality renderer. You may run out of memory on the render farm machine but, as long as you're not out of memory, render speed doesn't decrease.

Something the film industry uses all the time is alembic caches: 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/Maya/files/GUID-332E42EB-148B-4AFC-8F8C-B912470609C6-htm.html

They're just a handy way to have millions of polygons on display without actually having to have the render quality models loaded.
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    PBR mean Physically Based Rendering, he just mean that you use physically based material that react with light with albedo specular etc... instead of faking it like in hand painted stuff. 

Mari is the same as painter, the only difference is that substance is going to be better in a few years  mari is better for big big asset since you can paint on multiple udim and you have loats of cool pipeline stuff in it. It's more production friendly I'd say

Also UVs are a big thing, you ( kinda ) don't have any limit using udim, so you may have 20 2k map on a single mesh, and I mean one mesh not a character with multiple props on him, one cube can have 20 x 2k map 
    Cheers!
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    PBR is not really a definition and is more like a framework. There are several PBR models. They are physically more accurate than older models (blinn/phong...) but also more costly to calculate.
    Their main feature is that diffuse and specular reflections are mutually exclusive.
    rough object = high diffuse and low spec
    smooth object = low diffuse and high spec
    And this is calculated automatically based on "smoothness"
    Which basically means you cant really make a material that couldn't exist in reality. And so it should behave correctly under different lighting conditions.
    They may also include fresnel, cubemap based reflections...
    But with correct inputs you can make perfectly fine looking render the oldschool way. It's just harder to set up.

• alexparker321
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

If anyone else wants to say more, please do so. so i can make even better decisions when making my models.
    I have a solution for your queries if you follow this you simply create discussion when you are making model simply visit Avast Support site to do this properly.
  • alexparker321
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I have a solution for your queries if you follow this you simply create discussion when you are making model simply visit Avast Support site to do this properly.