Home Adobe Substance

any difference between "match by mesh name" baking process in SP with blender models?

rafastrip
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
rafastrip polycounter lvl 4
HI , I would like to use "match by mesh name" in SP with my blender's 3D assets , to avoid baking issues,  and change the workflow a little (exploding is a good option but not for my current model).

1- If I am goiing to use "match by mesh name"   I should name "name_sufix" from the HP and the LP to match them each other right?.

2 - what's about the "material" , in blender,  in every material you can store a UV space, so If I brint to  Substance painter "N" amount of Material from blender of a respective model would be ....  N amount of material  =  N amount of UV space ( for the obj or fbx model you exported to SP) .

3 - Exploding meshes is a good way ,but I am tired sometimes. I would like any trick to non organics models for baking process with "Match by meshes names" , specially for stylez assets for PC . 

4 - a friend of mine use 3D max and I can see his models , One single object can store multples meshes and every mesh can move independient  or it is look like another object and not a mesh...  in blender you can join or separate objects (but objects has meshes and the name of the mesh is not the name of the object). 

Replies

• Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    Yes, by mesh name need low and hight sufix to work, you can separate them in blender in a million pieces and give them low and high sufix for them to match, after the texturing you just need to merge those objects and they will work like ''one single object with multiple meshes''. And yes substance will make separated texture setting for each material. 

About the material thing, UV information are stored per object, materials will only handle the textures but substance uses materials as a way to further customize the way that you will texture your mesh, in the background substance is probably ''merging'' objects. 
  • rafastrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    all right,  however ,  what should I use I am going to bake one object with different pieces (high and low pieces) in one single texture-atlasing? 
    here an example.

there are many objects (  high and low) . all of them are separated , to avoid issues? however I need in this case a only one single map . What do I need ?  Do I need the same "material"  to the lowpoly's objects ? to baking on?.

the fastest way is to merge all the lowpoly with and only and generic name, such as "carrier_low" for example , and the higher density model , such as "carrier_high"...bake in substance and voula! , how ever I suffer issues in normal map and in the AO ( the wooeden stair creates shadows on the fron part of the main barrel (carrier). 

• Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    You just have to name separated pieces and export them to substance separated, note that you need to export all the high pieces separated from the low pieces.

Example if you want everything in one texture set/single map:

1. Assing one material for them all. 

2. Name and separate them properly. 
    Barrel_high
    Barrel_low
    Stair_high
    Stair_low

3. Export all the hight poly pieces in one FBX and the low poly pieces in onther FBX. 

If you would want to have 1 texture set for the barrel and one for the stair, then you would need to assign different materials for them. 

• rafastrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think there is a problem in "step 2" for naming convenction ... I realised when I started a new proyect in SP. see the image .

I ve  exported  all the FBX pieces (lowpoly pieces) in a temporally file to work with it (in fbx's blender exporting tab)  , it is ok... 

in the step 2 ... you mentioned to separete propiety and naming... I make it as I show in the picture folder... however ... In SP I can only open one single file... (that is a pain.... I should combined? ) 

1 - I choose a material for all the Lowpoly's objects (to share the same uv space ).

2-  I ve named separated the high and the low.  such as "barrel_high"  and "stair_high" , this objects in a first manner , includes different  but I merged in one single objects and one single mesh because I realised when I create a proyect in SP ,  painter needs one single object to work...  (this could be the great failing of my workflow or the blender's workflow).

3 - I ve created a "temporally" joinment , (pick with shift button all the low poly objects in object mode and then export them in fbx format , in the exporting tab menu , put selected objects , and some stuff to bring to SP such as only one single object) , this could be the reason I am failing....  I need one single UV space , but the common error in Normal mapping and AO is in the contact between the stair and the tent (barrel) because raycast or something project , this is a common issue when 2 objects or parts are closer. 

4 - as an extra , yes , If I use different materials for lowpolies, and I bring back to SP , I would have N amount of Texture space,  which N is the amount of material , SP recognice from blender a material such as material as 1 single Uv space as you mentioned early.

workflow 1 :

"combined_low" is a temporaly files ( with all the lowpoly merged , created in blender's fbx exporting options ) this files has all together the LP files, but it is a mess to bake, 50% could be ok...and in this case is not a good way. 

workflow 2 :

I am stack in this workflow,  I ve finished to give a name to all the HP and the LP objects... "barrel_high" , "barrel_low" , "stair_high" , "stair_low" ,  however they are separated , it is ok..  when I create a new SP file... I must chose 1 mesh and normal format ,etc... I chose a model to start to baking... could be  the combined_low .... but when I am going to use "match by name" to bake...there is an error ... because all the HP meshes are different name prefix and sufix...  another way is creating the same amount of Lowpoly objects as the Highest one ...but I will be 2 o 3 different lowpoly objects  , in this manner , I think mesh by name will be efficient. 

• Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    You are overcomplicating everything, i will try to be a bit more specific with the example. 

1. Assing one material for them all. 

2. Name and separate them properly. 
    Barrel_high
    Barrel_low
    Stair_high
    Stair_low

3. Export the Stair_high and the Barrel_hight in one FBX (Don't combine them)
    4. Export the Stair_low and the Barrel_low in one FBX  (Don't combine them)

5. Open the new project and select the FBX that have the low poly meshes.

6. Inside the baking option add the FBX with the high poly meshes.

Allegorithm has youtube channel where they cover all of the basics of substance painter, you should take a look.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Allegorithmic
  • rafastrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani said:

3. Export the Stair_high and the Barrel_hight in one FBX (Don't combine them)
    4. Export the Stair_low and the Barrel_low in one FBX  (Don't combine them)

5. Open the new project and select the FBX that have the low poly meshes.

in the step 3 - 4  the name would be  for example "combined_low"  (when I refere to combined, I refer to "temporally" export them as fbx ... I click with shift selected the lowpoly's object and in the exporting's blender panel I clicked "selected objects"  to embed the 2 objects in the fbx files....,blender recongnized this elemets as single fbx file....  they are separated objects , back I think in te "background" or "meta-data" is that the fact SP read the information? right? . the same method for the highest meshes. click N amount of HP and export them.  such as fbx files...

in the step 5 . here in SP , I open the selected mesh...  "combined_low" (this is the name of the fbx files , inside I suppose there are the barrel_low and the stair_low .... as a meta-data)   ... so then in the "common parameters" in SP , I should load all the HP meshes  , high definition meshes ... in the picture above ...  but in this case  the files (fbx files ) need to match 

an extra video  of a few minutes about this last step of the workflow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISwHJIuV6N8&feature=youtu.be