Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A Flying and Extremely Time Consuming, yet Humble, Scarf

node
Offline / Send Message
Budai node

Hey Guys!

This will be the first post that I will make to this forum, and it will consist the second 3D render I have made thus far in my 27 years of being, and hopefully you’ll tear it to shreds with criticism and sharp comments. I certainly would appreciate that.

As for the object itself, I decided to dive into 3D animation, so I had to learn several programs to make this garment: Marvelous Designer, Blender, Substance Designer (material designed from scratch) and Marmoset Toolbag. It has been a long ride, but I certainly learned a lot!

Oh, and along the way, a few questions popped up, which I would love to know the answer to:

1.       When I tried to import the .sbsar file from SD to SP the results were very flat, looking nothing like the elevated result I got from importing the different maps into Marmoset Toolbag, is this normal?

2.       In the rendered pictures below the material looks very stiff... is there some way to soften it? Which leads me to the last question...

3.       I wanted to add a layer of “fuzz” on top of the fabric, like most such coarse threads have, and I was looking at the possibility of doing this in Marmoset Toolbag: Is there some way of layering such an effect on top of the material already used?

Well, if you are still reading, thanks for taking the time! Looking forward to your feedback! :)

Best,

The Budai

Replies

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    In general, I think you'll get more and better answers if you stick to one question per thread. 

1. It appears you are using parallax occlussion mapping in the render. WHen you brought the material into SP, you probably need to setup parallax occlussion mapping on the shader to get the same result. 

2. I don't think it looks stiff so much as it looks thick. Also, the weave suggest something stiff, like a table placemat. Try a silky looking material with a very tight and small weave. Also, play with your fabric presets in MD to get the mesh to make sharper folds and lay down on itself more. 

3. Yeah, I'm sure there is, but I can't offer any insight into that. 

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    2. Adjustyour MD material presets.  from what I've noticed, certain presets don't really read as advertised.  You also need to do you own adjustment.

3. Do a slight shell extrusions http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/File:Fluffy-fur-breakdown.jpg
    or do small fly away cards of fuzz
  • Budai
    Offline / Send Message
    Budai node
    In general, I think you'll get more and better answers if you stick to one question per thread. 

1. It appears you are using parallax occlussion mapping in the render. WHen you brought the material into SP, you probably need to setup parallax occlussion mapping on the shader to get the same result. 

2. I don't think it looks stiff so much as it looks thick. Also, the weave suggest something stiff, like a table placemat. Try a silky looking material with a very tight and small weave. Also, play with your fabric presets in MD to get the mesh to make sharper folds and lay down on itself more. 

• Budai
    Offline / Send Message
    Budai node

Hey, and thanks for your advice. Hehe, okey, understood, just didn't want to drown polycount in noob questions.;) 

1. Hmm.. I am quite certain that I was usin the same setup in both softwares.. and I played around with the parallax occlusion settings in Painter.. but in the end I gave up, and used Marmoset instead.

2. Yeah, I took what you said to heart and changed the weave to something that looks more realistic, and I think it looks better, much better! (Pics below)

2. Adjustyour MD material presets.  from what I've noticed, certain presets don't really read as advertised.  You also need to do you own adjustment.

3. Do a slight shell extrusions http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/File:Fluffy-fur-breakdown.jpg
    or do small fly away cards of fuzz

Thank you for your advice mr. Panda. Off note, do you by any chance have family in HK? Choi sounds Cantonese to my ears (Norwegian living in China myself)

1. Hehe, I had for some reason chosen denim in presets... so that would certainly not look good.. It looks better now, what do you?

2. I brought some fuzz in using the microfiber map possibility, but need to work on it some more. Only the full picture has the fuzz properly set up, forgot to add it in the others, and now I am finished with this crap, need to eeeat!:)

Pics:

And again, all comments and advise are welcome!

Best,
    The Budai

• K
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work! Up close it might need a bit more fuzz and fibers though.
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    I haven't really done this in substance painter but in ue4...What about changing your material to subsurface scattering, give it some depth and change the subsurface color to a slightly darker one (maybe change the hue a tiny bit as well?) 
  • Budai
    Offline / Send Message
    Budai node
    Hi, sorry for the ridiculously late reply; thank you for your helpful comments!