Home Technical Talk

Rendering engines

juanoblagu
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
juanoblagu polycounter lvl 6
Hi everyone, im currently studying to be a character modeler and im trying learn new techniques to show my art better, the way i render stuff in marmoset doesnt look too appealing for me (my aim is to achieve renders disney/pixaresque style) have before tried renderman in maya with the documentation in hand but didnt really achieve anything, so my question is, do any of you guys know any good v-ray/arnold/renderman tutorials that i can learn paid or unpaid to render stylized/cartoon characters properly. many thanks for your attention.

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Here's a tutorial that covers from beginning to end how to make and render Mr. Incredible.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qw0Nz

Though when you say your render in Marmoset doesn't look "too appealing", I think you might be struggling with actually getting the artstyle down first. Think of games like Ratchet & Clank on PS4 which still goes for the hyper-stylized movie look but still run in real time. The render engine in question wouldn't quite matter in actually creating stuff appealing, especially when you can just crank up the settings to maximum in Marmoset, or throw a lot more polygons & high resolution textures on your model.

If you're aiming your portfolio at applying at a animation/TV studio, then that's a better reason to turn your renders into using V-ray/Arnold/Renderman.

• juanoblagu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juanoblagu polycounter lvl 6
    JordanN said:
    Here's a tutorial that covers from beginning to end how to make and render Mr. Incredible.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qw0Nz

Though when you say your render in Marmoset doesn't look "too appealing", I think you might be struggling with actually getting the artstyle down first. Think of games like Ratchet & Clank on PS4 which still goes for the hyper-stylized movie look but still run in real time. The render engine in question wouldn't quite matter in actually creating stuff appealing, especially when you can just crank up the settings to maximum in Marmoset, or throw a lot more polygons & high resolution textures on your model.

If you're aiming your portfolio at applying at a animation/TV studio, then that's a better reason to turn your renders into using V-ray/Arnold/Renderman.

ohh this is awesome man! thank you very much, regarding the appealing thing is that i would love to work with ornatrix/yeti/xgen for those amazing hairstyles, and i also like that skin look every artist achieve in those render engines you mentioned at the end, so yeah my aim is to apply to an animation/tv studio, im still looking for every tutorial i can watch so thank you very much!