Home Technical Talk

FWN on the walls. Question about bevel size.

xroo
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
xroo polycounter lvl 7
Hi there! I'm creatimg modular soviet administrative building. I prefere the FTN technique to make the smooth convex and concave edges. And the question I faced with is the bevel width. Some big values looks ugli for me. But some small values are visible in very few lighting conditions. So I thought to ask someone's apinion about it. This is the test scene screenshots:

no bevels

1 cm

1,5 cm

2 cm

Maybe this post needs some spoiler to hide all of these images... :-) All of the renders are made in Unity 2018.1 with HDRP.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1cm looks good to me, but it really depends on the texturing you're going to use. Is it plaster that's been painted, and has cracks and crumbles? Or unpainted concrete? Or wood paneling? Or marble? Textured surfaces will hide a lot of the small artifacts you're seeing here. Show it with your planned texture scheme.
  • xroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xroo polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you for the answer! Cool idea. Preparing the scene took some time from me. I've been assigned some WIP textures. This is the screenshots:

0 cm:

1 cm:

1.5 cm

2 cm:

This screens are showing the difference more expressive so now I can say more confidently 1 cm looks better for me too.