Home Technical Talk

Problem rendering eyes in Arnold....

Kgizzi
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
Hey guys. Not sure why this is happening. When I have the eye alone it renders fine. When I add the model though, there are weird reflections in it that don't seem like they should be there. I even pulled the eye excessively far out and these weird reflections stayed to a degree. Sorry for the low res but I was just doing these quickly. Anyone know what's going on?

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    What's your eye setup? It looks like you're using a single piece of geo with an iris reflection mask.
  • Kgizzi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
    What's your eye setup? It looks like you're using a single piece of geo with an iris reflection mask.
    No there's an iris piece of geometry and a scalara piece of geometry. I'm using refraction but no reflection. You can see that these reflections aren't there when the body model isn't there. When it's just the eye it's working fine. So yea I don't know what I can do :X
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Check if the head model is interpenetrating with the eye.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue said:
    Check if the head model is interpenetrating with the eye.
    +1 The reason I was wondering if you're using 2 pieces of geo is that the head/outer eye mesh intersection could be resulting in refraction artifacts.

Also, what do you mean you're using refraction, but not reflection? The outer eye shader should have both(although it looks like you do so maybe you made a typo above)
  • Kgizzi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
    Hey guys thanks for that observation. Yea now that I'm looking at it, I had done another model with this method but with holes in the eye geometry, and was not having the problem. Now, I am. I'm fairly new to 3D so I'm not familiar with every term, but as of right now I don't think I'm using reflections on my eyes. Here is the setup I'm using.
    Reflections are set to 0. I am using refractions though.

Now, here is a comparison between how these eyes render in a model with eye holes and without. So obviously, there not being holes is the problem. Is there a way to fix this in the settings without having to have holes in my eyes?

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like you're using Tom Newbury's tutorials/assets. Is this how the eye shader was already set up for you? The simple fix is to either delete the eyebag geo or just sculpt it back further into the head in Zbrush or even Maya.
  • Kgizzi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
    Looks like you're using Tom Newbury's tutorials/assets. Is this how the eye shader was already set up for you? The simple fix is to either delete the eyebag geo or just sculpt it back further into the head in Zbrush or even Maya.
    Hey yea I followed the Tom Newbury tutorial, but I made all the assets and sculpture myself. I think in his model he used in the tutorial though, he had the eye holes closed in the geometry, yet still didn't have this type of problem. So you think the eyebag being closed isn't the problem, but just that it's set too far forward in the mesh?
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holes or not, if the model interpenetrate with the eyes (as already stated) it will be shown in the render, as @musashidan said, push the inside of the eyes sockets more toward the inside of the head. What you are seeing is the head popping out from the eyes, check it in wireframe mode.
  • Kgizzi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
    Here is the two meshes in wire frame mode. The top one is the problematic mesh with the closed eye hole. The bottom one is the one that I'm not having issues with and the open eye hole. On the top one, I can see where the mesh is intersecting with the iris geometry and causing this I think. The thing is, it appears to be happening on the bottom one too, isn't it?
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would push those bulges toward the inside of the head, and re render it, the shape seems to match.
  • Kgizzi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
    SonicBlue said:
    I would push those bulges toward the inside of the head, and re render it, the shape seems to match.
    Yea well what is happening with the eye geometry is that the scalara is opaque up until where the iris begins on it, then I have a transparency mask running on the scalara to make it see through to the iris, so yea whatever is behind that transparent part of the scalara will show, and apparently that's parts of the eyelids right now. I'll try that thanks.
  • Kgizzi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kgizzi polycounter lvl 2
    Yea that worked thanks guys.