Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ragnar Lothbrok Realtime 3D artwork

ZelenHimihal
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ZelenHimihal polycounter lvl 5

Hello, thanks for stopping by.

This is a 3D model of Travis Fimmel's Ragnar Lothbrok as represented in season 4 of the TV show "Vikings. I did 
it with the intention of making a good quality likeness and render while keeping the mesh game-ready and rendered in realtime in order to improve my skills in character modelling for the game industry. 
This is rendered in Marmoset, I started from scratch doing sculpting, modelling, retopologizing, unwrapping, texturing, rigging, posing, lighting and composing.

Let me know what you think, I hope you like this.

Best

Replies

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    I like the likeness as that crazy eyes remind me a lot of Frimmel though the overall anatomy looks a bit off to me, but it might be hard to tell because of the pose. In any case the shoulders seem to be too wide and I miss any kind of trapezius muscle to break up the line between neck and shoulder joint. I have a hard time judging the lower part of the body with cloths and pose, so no comment on those.

Textures are too monotonous for my taste. Leather has more color variation, splintered wood should not be colored at all, but the wood itself should become visible. On the other hand I really like the metal on the shield (although I would make sure you didn't change the roughness values in Substance too much) :)

Skin texture / shader needs some more work. Make sure you are using the right scale when importing in Marmorset (there is a setting for it). If the scale is off, no chance of getting the shaders to work correctly. When working with the skin shader make sure you have a scatter map (basically your albedo with a increased saturation + a little bit of noise). To get the tertiary details to shine make sure you are using a cavity map that mostly only affects the specular cavities and only a minimal effect on the diffuse. For proper skin shading you can get a lot of information from here - http://www.iryoku.com/stare-into-the-future

For the eyes check out the tutorial by Peter Zoppi -> https://gumroad.com/zippzopp - its $8,- for state of the art eyes.

The biggest issue for me is the topology. That wireframe just screems that you either didn't care or complete lack experience. Let me guess - for the shirt it was all done by ZRemesher?  Most of the edge loops on the shield can be removed since they add neither form nor is there any deformation going to be happening. Same can be said of the ax-handle. The desinty on the cross is far too high, same on it chain. The bracers and lower arms are in no realtion to what is needed nor what the shirt is getting. A lot of the belt could be reduced as well to probably 30% of the polys max. All those bolts on the shield and belt could probably also lose at least 50% of their polys, though I would say rather more - trust your bakes to do the heavy lifting. The straps on the boots have additional edgeloops that make little sense in low poly  models - just looking like the base mesh for a subdivision. In my opinion the desinty of the throat mesh is too high and you could probably also save some edgeloops in the ears as well.

My suggestion keep going at this and take a lot of time to check other peoples' wireframes. You can find them from a lot of AAA games. Though geometry is becoming less and less of a bottleneck, clean topology is still hold in high value and it leaves a bad bad taste when you can see things like ZRemesher being used on portfolio pieces of this kind.

Keep it up :)
  • ZelenHimihal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, thats some great feedback.I thought i did something good but now that i look at it Im full of shit :D haha Thank you man! I promise to work on these and I wont quit on this model.I want to make it as good as I can and I admit I can do better. Thank you so much. Ill post again.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Just keep it coming :)
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    As promised here a example of an old shield I did. I kept the inner part of the shield (wood + central handguard) as a seperate mesh with a lower density and just added a rounder mesh for the metal to keep a smoother silhouette. Not the cleanest solution but for the project's purposes it was sufficient.
  • ZelenHimihal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help.Today I focused on fixing the skin shader, eyes, anatomy and pose.Let me know if thats better 
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    I think the shoulders look better now and the skin/eyes have improved as well :) Are you using a fuzz on the skin or is the whitish shine coming from a light?
  • ZelenHimihal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks I am using fuzz
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Is fuzz just a fresnel?
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    @Brian "Panda" Choi :  I don't think so. It is just an effect they added to materials to simulate mircofibers. I would guess it is similar, but not the same, since fresnel is part of the specular settings, while these fuzz options come as part of the diffusion options for skin and microfibers.

@ZelenHimihal : I would reduce the fuzz. I personally use it only at ~0.2 for skin. Right now it is carrying the light across all of his face, giving it this slightly milkish shine.
  • ZelenHimihal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, will do!